Northwestern/Illinois

18 minutes ago, Barracuda141 said:

Welcome to the Big 10. Figure it out Poeta. Somehow Iowa can figure out how to fundraise $30+ million for a new wrestling facility. Somehow Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State can all figure out how to raise a boatload of money for improved facilities in addition to competing for recruits in the NIL era. It's part of being a head coach today. If he can't mange to work the phone and bring in enough money to be competitive, then Illinois needs to bring in someone who can.

Illinois as a state qualified 32 for the NCAA tournament last year #2 behind PA and this year qualified 22 for the NCAA tournament, 4th most this year. U of I qualified a pathetic 3 this year, two of which were done Day 1.  

Wait... another thread lists Illinois as one of the many teams that is surpassing Iowa!

12 minutes ago, Hillbilly Jim said:

Uhhh....$1M for HS recruit?

Bit of hypothetical but who knows?  A case in point $100k per year for 5 years we are at $0.5M, what's a half million between friends.  😉 Course also thats old data now, with inflation, new market completion, throw in an Ors year guarantee who knows?  

On 3/27/2024 at 12:20 PM, Barracuda141 said:

There's been no uptick in recruiting under Poeta. 

Well, that's a lie. Last year's recruiting class was top ten with three of them starting in the Big Ten Tournament as true Freshmen. And none of those three were any of these guys [my comments in brackets]: 

Kannon Webster (Washington, Illinois) Washington Community High School

Webster is the top-ranked recruit of this Illini class coming in at 21st overall. He is a two-time Illinois State Champion and carries a 45-3 record with three pins. He recently won the Maryville Open at 141 pounds via 11-4 decision. [He won that third state championship, won another couple of Fargo titles, wrestled in Who's #1, and was 18-1 as a redshirt with that one loss being very questionable.]

Braeden Scoles (Kewaskum, Wisconsin) Kewaskum High School

Scoles was a highly touted recruit in this class, ranked at 28th overall. He is a three-time Wisconsin State Champion and just recently went 7-1 enroute to third at the USA Wrestling Junior Championships. He carried a 54-2 record throughout his young career with 21 pins. [Braeden won his fourth Wisconsin state championship and a Fargo title and wrestled in Who's #1, giving young Ferrari the best match he had. Recently won the Zingo Nationals after cradling everybody from his opponents to the timekeepers. Same with Kannon Webster. Also beat an NCAA qualifier in a spot start in a dual.]

Will Baysingar (Mount Prospect, Illinois) Mount Prospect High School

Baysingar is the second home grown prospect and slots in as the 52nd ranked recruit. He is a two-time Illinois State Champion and most recently won the Illinois Greco-Roman State Champ title at 138 pounds via technical fall 8-0. [Baysingar got two starts in duals as a true Freshman and currently has a Wrestlestat.com #64 ranking at the weight as a reserve.]

Chris Moore (McHenry, Illinois) McHenry High School

Moore is the final Illinois prospect Poeta added to this 2023 cycle. Moore is an Illinois State Champion and recently earned a runner-up finish at the IHSA Boys Individual State final at 160 pounds. [Chris went on to win his second IHSA title, so he was a 3-time finalist, 2-time champion. He ended up in the big board rankings because he too won a Fargo title. Most importantly, though, he stepped in and earned the starting role at 165 and qualified for the NCAA tournament as a true Freshman with wins over Caleb Fish and Stoney Buell.]

Hudson Goebel (Findlay, Ohio) Findlay High School

Goebel is the last out-of-state recruit and final piece of this 2023 class. He is a OHSAA State Finalist and most recently he earned a runner-up finish at the OHSAA State Tournament. [Hudson's season was interrupted by injury, but he's a talented kid from Ohio, which is something ILLINI fans like to see.]

Then, this season, the ILLINI didn't have as many scholarships to give because of the huge class the year before, but still ended up with two ILLINOIS three-time state champions and a two-time state champion and three-time finalist from Ohio. 

Welcome to the Big 10. Figure it out Poeta. Somehow Iowa can figure out how to fundraise $30+ million for a new wrestling facility. Somehow Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State can all figure out how to raise a boatload of money for improved facilities....

Another lie, or perhaps you didn't do your homework before spouting off, who knows? In any event, the ILLINI will be moving into a state-of-the-art wrestling facility smack dab next to State Farm Center in 2025. So, Coach Poeta not only got the facility funded, and not only did he get the recruits, but, my friend, you've got nothing.

Professional artist rendering of the new facility with the giant spaceship (State Farm Center) in the background: 

ILLINIWRESTLING92.jpg

• Bob 1
  • Fire 2

15 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Well, that's a lie. Last year's recruiting class was top ten with three of them starting in the Big Ten Tournament as true Freshmen. And none of those three were any of these guys [my comments in brackets]: 

Webster is the top-ranked recruit of this Illini class coming in at 21st overall. He is a two-time Illinois State Champion and carries a 45-3 record with three pins. He recently won the Maryville Open at 141 pounds via 11-4 decision. [He won that third state championship, won another couple of Fargo titles, wrestled in Who's #1, and was 18-1 as a redshirt with that one loss being very questionable.]

Scoles was a highly touted recruit in this class, ranked at 28th overall. He is a three-time Wisconsin State Champion and just recently went 7-1 enroute to third at the USA Wrestling Junior Championships. He carried a 54-2 record throughout his young career with 21 pins. [Braeden won his fourth Wisconsin state championship and a Fargo title and wrestled in Who's #1, giving young Ferrari the best match he had. Recently won the Zingo Nationals after cradling everybody from his opponents to the timekeepers. Same with Kannon Webster. Also beat an NCAA qualifier in a spot start in a dual.]

Baysingar is the second home grown prospect and slots in as the 52nd ranked recruit. He is a two-time Illinois State Champion and most recently won the Illinois Greco-Roman State Champ title at 138 pounds via technical fall 8-0. [Baysingar got two starts in duals as a true Freshman and currently has a Wrestlestat.com #64 ranking at the weight as a reserve.]

Moore is the final Illinois prospect Poeta added to this 2023 cycle. Moore is an Illinois State Champion and recently earned a runner-up finish at the IHSA Boys Individual State final at 160 pounds. [Chris went on to win his second IHSA title, so he was a 3-time finalist, 2-time champion. He ended up in the big board rankings because he too won a Fargo title. Most importantly, though, he stepped in and earned the starting role at 165 and qualified for the NCAA tournament as a true Freshman with wins over Caleb Fish and Stoney Buell.]

Goebel is the last out-of-state recruit and final piece of this 2023 class. He is a OHSAA State Finalist and most recently he earned a runner-up finish at the OHSAA State Tournament. [Hudson's season was interrupted by injury, but he's a talented kid from Ohio, which is something ILLINI fans like to see.]

Then, this season, the ILLINI didn't have as many scholarships to give because of the huge class the year before, but still ended up with two ILLINOIS three-time state champions and a two-time state champion and three-time finalist from Ohio. 

Another lie, or perhaps you didn't do your homework before spouting off, who knows? In any event, the ILLINI will be moving into a state-of-the-art wrestling facility smack dab next to State Farm Center in 2025. So, Coach Poeta not only got the facility funded, and not only did he get the recruits, but, my friend, you've got nothing.

Professional artist rendering of the new facility with the giant spaceship (State Farm Center) in the background: 

ILLINIWRESTLING92.jpg

I didn't say he didn't get a facility. Someone suggested the reason why Illinois didn't get Davino or Mendoza was because a decision had to be made between getting a facility and securing NIL deals for Davino & Mendoza, which by the way isn't true. I simply stated that he, Poeta, should be able to do both. 

52 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

ILLINIWRESTLING92.jpg

Webster & Scoles are nice pick ups. I like Chris Moore too. However, lets not act like Poeta is lighting the recruiting trail on fire. If he was really crushing it, maybe one high end transfers like Illinois boys Caliendo & Hamiti would've decided Champaign, IL was a great fit. Also of note, Poeta failed to recruit 3 of the last 4 blue chippers. No Nasir Bailey, Davino, or Mendoza.

Next question, how is attendance looking at Illinois home matches? Not great is the answer. It's frustrating to turn on Big Ten Network and see mostly empty bleachers.
569 fans vs Minnesota
1757 fans vs Iowa
563 fans vs UNC & Central Michigan
1258 fans vs SIUE
338 fans vs Navy

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, Barracuda141 said:

Welcome to the Big 10. Figure it out Poeta. Somehow Iowa can figure out how to fundraise $30+ million for a new wrestling facility. Somehow Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State can all figure out how to raise a boatload of money for improved facilities in addition to competing for recruits in the NIL era. It's part of being a head coach today. If he can't mange to work the phone and bring in enough money to be competitive, then Illinois needs to bring in someone who can.

5 hours ago, Barracuda141 said:

I didn't say he didn't get a facility. Someone suggested the reason why Illinois didn't get Davino or Mendoza was because a decision had to be made between getting a facility and securing NIL deals for Davino & Mendoza, which by the way isn't true. I simply stated that he, Poeta, should be able to do both. 

So it sounds like every program in the b10 should be able to build a $30M facility and have $1M x 10 in NIL funds for each starter.  Its just a matter of getting on the phone.  Are you aware of how universities operate?  Did you know that Johnson had a donor lined up to build a new facility but never happened?  Who is the only wrestling coach in Illinois history to find the funds and get plans approved to build a wrestling facility?  

• Bob 1

8 hours ago, Barracuda141 said:

Webster & Scoles are nice pick ups. I like Chris Moore too. However, lets not act like Poeta is lighting the recruiting trail on fire. If he was really crushing it, maybe one high end transfers like Illinois boys Caliendo & Hamiti would've decided Champaign, IL was a great fit. Also of note, Poeta failed to recruit 3 of the last 4 blue chippers. No Nasir Bailey, Davino, or Mendoza.

Next question, how is attendance looking at Illinois home matches? Not great is the answer. It's frustrating to turn on Big Ten Network and see mostly empty bleachers.
569 fans vs Minnesota
1757 fans vs Iowa
563 fans vs UNC & Central Michigan
1258 fans vs SIUE
338 fans vs Navy

Seems to be a good start 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

as other have mentioned, they’re in the middle of wrestling country as much as Iowa or PA, need to pack the house….

13 hours ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Seems to be a good start 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

as other have mentioned, they’re in the middle of wrestling country as much as Iowa or PA, need to pack the house….

This ignores the fact that U of I, itself, is not centered near the largest population areas. Northwestern is closer, but - especially this year - there wasn't much to go see. Losing their 3 best returning starters to Michigan killed them.

U of I is about 2.5 hours south of Chicago. So, for western and northern suburbs, that's 3 hours on a good day.  After a week of work, usually I want to rest and relax. To go to a dual meet at Illinois, it would be about a 4 hour round trip drive for me. I usually go to one or two per season, but those are for when it's shaping up to be a great dual, or wrestlers I have coached are competing.

PSU . . . I give them credit for packing the house, since State College is in the middle of nowhere. But, and I mean this genuinely - I wonder how big the crowds they drew before Cael took over were. And even then, wrestling fans started coming more right away because of Cael, even before the team roster jumped up massively in quality. Poeta is a great guy and Illinois people love the guy, but he's not Cael. If Illinois had a team like Penn State, I think they would have a marked improvement in attendance.

• Bob 1

On 3/27/2024 at 1:58 PM, MinnesotaMustang said:

From what I understand, everyone has sort of soured on Storniolo. Over the span of a few years they lost Cody Brewer, Kennedy, and Howe. The athletes loved those guys and it crushed the morale. 

Long post since I have some decent knowledge on this stuff:

I would agree with the latter but not the former. I know a good number of NW wrestlers and they speak highly of Storniolo.

That said, yes, losing the assistants hurt. Howe left after the 2021-2022 season due to COVID-related reasons, or the handling of them by the university, rather. I don't recall why Brewer went to VT, but I remember seeing him cheering on Northwestern wrestlers he had worked with at NCAAs after the fact.

And Kennedy - that one is a bit trickier. A lot of people don't know or forget that David Taylor is married to Kennedy's sister. Family likes to be by family. And with Taylor making the international strides the way he was, he wasn't leaving NLWC. So when the opening was created at PSU, Kennedy got (a) A chance to coach at the best program in the country, (b) Subsequently, the chance to improve his coaching resume towards a future head coaching position faster than he would have at NW, and (c) A chance to be by his sister, and nieces and nephew.

Storniolo isn't perfect, don't get me wrong - but NW has other issues going for it too. The quarter system instead of semesters makes already challenging academics even more challenging. Stanford has a similar issue, as someone else noted. And, they have the artificially limited roster... which dissuades people who are otherwise interested because the question of who they would work with can become an issue, especially at the bigger weights.

Their top recruit this year, originally, was Dillon Johnson at 285. But he decommited and then committed to Wisconsin. From what I understand though, that wasn't wrestling related. If you recall NW football being in the news for all the wrong reasons last summer . . . well, Johnson is going to pull the Football/Wrestling combination, and the bad press, resignation of head coach, etc. did NW in. But it shows that they can still get big names, and solid wrestlers.

I know one issue that has plagued them is the academic reputation. It's a great school, but it's put on a pedestal enough that some bright kids still don't consider it. I remember one athlete I know the parents of who met with the staff, and they actually had to spend a good chunk of time reassuring the wrestler that he was smart enough to be successful there, and explaining the supports he would have if he did struggle, rather than just going to one of the other universities, where he figured school would be as hard as it always was for him... which was "not very." I would note that these other schools are very academically sound, even better than NW in many programs, but, at least in IL, arent built up on an academic podium. (e.g. U of I, Michigan - yes, we know its a great school, but with all of the athletic success, a lot of younger students don't know that right away)

23 hours ago, Barracuda141 said:

Correct, two unrelated things. I don't know about any NIL things in particular, but Mendoza already runs his own small business, so while I don't think he would turn down a payday by any means, Seth doesn't seem like he chose Mizzou because they could pay him the most, or more than Illinois. Seth's recruiting process comments are on record, but from talking with his parents, it really came down to what school would be best for his future, not just his wrestling future. Seth is a great kid, very interesting. Aforementioned business doing woodworking, and I believe he now has his private pilot's license. In theory, he could fly himself down to any trips to Mizzou over the next year.

I would have LOVED to see him in blue and orange. Loved it. But, Mizzou it is for him. Illinois is a great school with a lot of highly ranked programs, like Engineering.  Mizzou also has some great programs. I don't believe he had plans of going into the field, but Mizzou has a fantastic Journalism program - top in the country by many metrics and rankings.

37 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Long post since I have some decent knowledge on this stuff:

I would agree with the latter but not the former. I know a good number of NW wrestlers and they speak highly of Storniolo.

That said, yes, losing the assistants hurt. Howe left after the 2021-2022 season due to COVID-related reasons, or the handling of them by the university, rather. I don't recall why Brewer went to VT, but I remember seeing him cheering on Northwestern wrestlers he had worked with at NCAAs after the fact.

And Kennedy - that one is a bit trickier. A lot of people don't know or forget that David Taylor is married to Kennedy's sister. Family likes to be by family. And with Taylor making the international strides the way he was, he wasn't leaving NLWC. So when the opening was created at PSU, Kennedy got (a) A chance to coach at the best program in the country, (b) Subsequently, the chance to improve his coaching resume towards a future head coaching position faster than he would have at NW, and (c) A chance to be by his sister, and nieces and nephew.

Storniolo isn't perfect, don't get me wrong - but NW has other issues going for it too. The quarter system instead of semesters makes already challenging academics even more challenging. Stanford has a similar issue, as someone else noted. And, they have the artificially limited roster... which dissuades people who are otherwise interested because the question of who they would work with can become an issue, especially at the bigger weights.

Their top recruit this year, originally, was Dillon Johnson at 285. But he decommited and then committed to Wisconsin. From what I understand though, that wasn't wrestling related. If you recall NW football being in the news for all the wrong reasons last summer . . . well, Johnson is going to pull the Football/Wrestling combination, and the bad press, resignation of head coach, etc. did NW in. But it shows that they can still get big names, and solid wrestlers.

I know one issue that has plagued them is the academic reputation. It's a great school, but it's put on a pedestal enough that some bright kids still don't consider it. I remember one athlete I know the parents of who met with the staff, and they actually had to spend a good chunk of time reassuring the wrestler that he was smart enough to be successful there, and explaining the supports he would have if he did struggle, rather than just going to one of the other universities, where he figured school would be as hard as it always was for him... which was "not very." I would note that these other schools are very academically sound, even better than NW in many programs, but, at least in IL, arent built up on an academic podium. (e.g. U of I, Michigan - yes, we know its a great school, but with all of the athletic success, a lot of younger students don't know that right away)

I've avoided commenting as maybe the only NU alum/ex wrestler on here, but I agree with much of what was said. I think the loss of assistants has hurt. I think the mass transfer hurt. The graduation of Deakin and Yahya hurt. From the private school in the B10 that could compete with the big boys, we sort of fell off a cliff, and lost that shine. I think Matt is a good coach and the kids like him. But in the NIL area things are going to be tougher. We're not going to get top-level transfers unless they want a top level grad school - and no one is going to go to NU Law or Kellogg and have the time to be a top B10 wrestler. As for academics, I can see kids thinking that school might cut into their training time, but that's not gonna change. Stanford has the problem to an even greater degree, and they are managing. No simple solutions here. Going to take a lot of incremental steps and then hopefully a breakthrough with a few kids who can put the shine back on the program.

• Bob 2
  • Brain 1

6 hours ago, Major Kong said:

I've avoided commenting as maybe the only NU alum/ex wrestler on here, but I agree with much of what was said. I think the loss of assistants has hurt. I think the mass transfer hurt. The graduation of Deakin and Yahya hurt. From the private school in the B10 that could compete with the big boys, we sort of fell off a cliff, and lost that shine. I think Matt is a good coach and the kids like him. But in the NIL area things are going to be tougher. We're not going to get top-level transfers unless they want a top level grad school - and no one is going to go to NU Law or Kellogg and have the time to be a top B10 wrestler. As for academics, I can see kids thinking that school might cut into their training time, but that's not gonna change. Stanford has the problem to an even greater degree, and they are managing. No simple solutions here. Going to take a lot of incremental steps and then hopefully a breakthrough with a few kids who can put the shine back on the program.

When were you at NU? Just wondering.

On 3/29/2024 at 1:53 PM, Nightcrawler said:

Dillon's high school coach may have had some sway there, but I cannot confirm that.

Certainly when Fitzgerald was relieved of his duties at NU, the Johnsons weren't waiting around to find out who was going to replace him, as his football career is very important to him.

On 3/29/2024 at 9:36 PM, Major Kong said:

mid-late 70's of the last century!

On 3/30/2024 at 12:36 AM, CHROMEBIRD said:

That's awesome. An era that I know little about. Looking forward to hearing your stories!

toward the end of the punch card era

Northwestern is facing an increasingly large uphill battle against Michigan, Cornell, and the rest of the big ten.  NU is the worst of the smart schools that actually have a chance to get you where you want to go as an athlete, and they are also bottom of the barrel for the Big Ten.  They are closer to the Duke side of the spectrum than the Cornell side right now.  Once you go too far down that road, it’s really hard to come back.  

On 3/29/2024 at 1:53 PM, Nightcrawler said:

Johnson has pretty much acknowledged that he's going to WI to play football and probably will end up passing on wrestling. So I don't think NU wrestling has lost much on that front.

On 3/31/2024 at 11:42 PM, ionel said:

toward the end of the punch card era

You're bringing back memories of the computer center in Tech basement at NU. Put my stack of cards in the cubby and see what came back!

On 3/31/2024 at 11:54 PM, wrestle87 said:

Northwestern is facing an increasingly large uphill battle against Michigan, Cornell, and the rest of the big ten.  NU is the worst of the smart schools that actually have a chance to get you where you want to go as an athlete, and they are also bottom of the barrel for the Big Ten.  They are closer to the Duke side of the spectrum than the Cornell side right now.  Once you go too far down that road, it’s really hard to come back.  

Worse academically? I think NU is ahead or at worst equal with Cornell.  If you mean athletically, I agree.

6 hours ago, Major Kong said:

You're bringing back memories of the computer center in Tech basement at NU. Put my stack of cards in the cubby and see what came back!

Went from punch card, main frame terminal, TRS-80 and Apple IIe, Fortran & Pascal programming all within ~2 years.   The good ole days.  🙂

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, Major Kong said:

Worse academically? I think NU is ahead or at worst equal with Cornell.  If you mean athletically, I agree.

Yeah, I was talking from a recruiting/whole package perspective.