VT 285 next season? Catka or Mullen

VT is going to be very good again...Does Catka stay and keep the spot or does Mullen takeover and Catka possibly transfer for final year?

Does Mullen have a chance or will be on 2 deep for Hokie Football?

This is an interesting question that will likely get answered soon if Hunter hits the portal.

Hunter beat Jimmy 4-1 at a tourney late last year. The match was really close with Jimmy pushing the action and Hunter countered him for the W

Jimmy’s ceiling is really high, but he’d develop better and sooner if he stuck with wrestling. Not sure that’ll happen since he’s on scholarship for FB

Hunter is solid though and had a good tourney finishing in the blood round.

My money is Jimmy earns the nod if Hunter stays 

I think VT is looking to be quite improved next year on the gridiron and Mullen is part of those plans.

A big reason he was able to put time in so much in the wrestling room was because he wasn't pulling a lot of duty on the gridiron.  If those plans change he will have less time to wrestle.  I don't think he will regress, or anything... I just mean that the spot is likely Catka's again.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 hours ago, creek chub said:

he’s on scholarship for FB

Jimmy's scholarship is in wrestling, unless he plays a single down of Football. We are have a lot of DTs, doubt he's in the 2 deep there.

I'm guessing the spots Catkas next year.

11 minutes ago, DrExSuess said:

Jimmy's scholarship is in wrestling, unless he plays a single down of Football. We are have a lot of DTs, doubt he's in the 2 deep there.

I'm guessing the spots Catkas next year.

That isn't how it goes, is it?

If he is playing football, he is on scholly for football.

2 minutes ago, DrExSuess said:

He's a walk-on in football.

The rules are if hr is a member of the football team and he does a sport, the only athletic scholarship he can have is from football.

Rules is rules.

That means he is not in scholly, is all.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

The rules are if hr is a member of the football team and he does a sport, the only athletic scholarship he can have is from football.

Rules is rules.

i've heard he is on a football scholarship also.

• Fire 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

4 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Rules is rules.

I don't think this is entirely accurate.  I think the rule is that his scholarship counts against the number football scholarships the school can offer, but the scholarship/$$ can come from the other team. 

So if an individual get a wrestling scholarship, signs, and enrolls, then decides he wants to try and walk onto the football team he can do that.  However, if the football team decides they want to keep this individual on the roster they can only award 84 scholarships instead of 85. It counts against the number of football scholarships the school can offer even though it is a wrestling scholarship coming from the wrestling teams budget and even if it is only a partial scholarship.

Though the NCAA does not care if it is wrestling scholarship or not for counting purposes (counts against football's 85 and not wrestling's 9.9) it may matter to the student athlete.  If he is on a wrestling scholarship he could quit playing football without it affecting his aid.  If he is on a football scholarship then he could quit wrestling without it affecting his aid.  In practice if he quits one it might be because he is more successful at the other and the team he picks might find the money to pay for his education even if they weren't paying before.

• Brain 1

On 3/26/2024 at 6:18 PM, nhs67 said:

That isn't how it goes, is it?

If he is playing football, he is on scholly for football.

FYI Mullen is quitting football and on a wrestling scholarship.

• Fire 1

This is the lineup I'd like to see next year, but Crook may need a redshirt year to build the weight up.  Catka and Smith seem like high probability portal entries unless they don't mind being a backup and would prefer to stay with the team.  

125: Eddie Ventresca / Dillon Campbell

133: Cooper Flynn / Logan Frazier

141: Sam Latona / Hunter Mason

149: Caleb Henson / Mac Church

157: Tom Crook / Clayton Ulrey

165: Rafael Hipolito / Connor Brady

174: Lennox Wolak / Kolton Clark 

184: TJ Stewart / Sam Fisher

197: Sonny Sasso / Andy Smith

285: Jim Mullens / Hunter Catka

22 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

This is the lineup I'd like to see next year, but Crook may need a redshirt year to build the weight up.  Catka and Smith seem like high probability portal entries unless they don't mind being a backup and would prefer to stay with the team.  

125: Eddie Ventresca / Dillon Campbell

133: Cooper Flynn / Logan Frazier

141: Sam Latona / Hunter Mason

149: Caleb Henson / Mac Church

157: Tom Crook / Clayton Ulrey

165: Rafael Hipolito / Connor Brady

174: Lennox Wolak / Kolton Clark 

184: TJ Stewart / Sam Fisher

197: Sonny Sasso / Andy Smith

285: Jim Mullens / Hunter Catka

I want these two to swap weights.

I want to see Hensen give MFS a go long-term.  I don't think 65 KG is an option for him, then.

• Bob 1

17 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I want these two to swap weights.

I want to see Hensen give MFS a go long-term.  I don't think 65 KG is an option for him, then.

I think he cuts a lot for 149, also he's a goer, which is hard to pull off when you're cutting too much weight.

47 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Was it ever disclosed if Ventresca had some sort of injury this year?  I know that was speculated but never confirmed that I saw.

Yea I believe it was a pinched nerve that was really hindering him , heard he ll be 100 percent and ready to go next season