Bono NEEDS to go

Just now, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

So we should discriminate against twins?  I don't get it.  If you don't like them or don't think they are good, that is fine... "but no twins."  Brother are ok; just not twins.

Weird.

You're just being obtuse.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

14 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Snyder and JB...just feels like if they're going to become HCs, JB is the closest, but Manning is also the closest to retiring among the coaches of the upper tier programs and Snyder...IDK, just don't think he'd come.

Is Bryan Snyder not HC in waiting there? 

1 minute ago, Hammerlock3 said:

You're just being obtuse.

No, I'm not.  I get the rest of your "diversity' thing; just not the "no twins" part.  I know sets of identical twins that are completely different people and offer very different perspectives on a number of issues.  Just because they are identical twins doesn't mean they can't complement one another.  

In fact, I remember Tony Ramos being mad at Tom, but still loving Terry for instance.

2 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

No, I'm not.  I get the rest of your "diversity' thing; just not the "no twins" part.  I know sets of identical twins that are completely different people and offer very different perspectives on a number of issues.  Just because they are identical twins doesn't mean they can't complement one another.  

In fact, I remember Tony Ramos being mad at Tom, but still loving Terry for instance.

well that is the luxury of being an assistant vs a head, plus it was based on who was in his corner while he was crying and embarassing himself.

I didn't say "no twins" but i'm compelled to point it out if a program feels homogeneous in a bad way. What if I admitted I'm not sure and you admit that its not a completely unfair thing to point out?

2 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

well that is the luxury of being an assistant vs a head, plus it was based on who was in his corner while he was crying and embarassing himself.

I didn't say "no twins" but i'm compelled to point it out if a program feels homogeneous in a bad way. What if I admitted I'm not sure and you admit that its not a completely unfair thing to point out?

When compared to what PSU is doing right now, almost anything anyone else does looks bad.  I have no problem with having differing opinions, skillsets, etc. on any team of coaches.

13 hours ago, Southend said:

Nothing wrong with Bono. 

Who excites you on Bono's roster? He can't recruit. If it wasn't for bringing in some transfer's, his teams would have really sucked. As a whole, guys aren't getting better in that program. Both Bono and Reader were brawlers, i just don't think they are very good at teaching technique.

Edited by The Reaper

15 hours ago, scourge165 said:

It's not gonna be Ben, Max, Messenbrink.

1-There are too many compliance issues. Max would be great...you get Ben, but he's not the face so when he says something they don't like, not their problem...BUT even without the compliance issues; 

2-They're all owners in AWA and they're doing pretty well financially. Would you take a pay cut to be a full-time HC with all the stress when you're running a club and making probably at worst as much as you'd be offered?

Max Askren would be great...but it won't happen. What also seems INCREDIBLY unlikely;

Is this. Taylor, Dake, Snyder, Burroughs...Taylor seems to be loving life. Winning rings and farming things a mile away from Kyle Dake.

Dake is also still Wrestling(though he for some reason feels more likely...but that's just because I think he's a little off...in a good way and may want that challenge).

Snyder and JB...just feels like if they're going to become HCs, JB is the closest, but Manning is also the closest to retiring among the coaches of the upper tier programs and Snyder...IDK, just don't think he'd come.

Messenbrink would be a HR if this was a sport where they jumped through hoops in order to make the job a fit. 
Again, Max would be another.

Just getting rid of Bono and sticking with Reader would be fine. Trevor Brandvold would be a great hire. I'm skeptical about these big name coaches wanting the job, but who knows? 

Are you sure they would be taking a paycut? Bono his making around $300,000 a year. I am sure they are doing well with the wrestling academy but I would be very surprised if each of these guys was pulling in $300,000 from the academy. 

Kyle Snyder is still on the right side of 30.  Why does he have to go coach right now?

Edited by nhs67

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 hours ago, The Reaper said:

Who excites you on Bono's roster? He can't recruit. If it wasn't for bringing in some transfer's, his teams would have really sucked. As a whole, guys aren't getting better in that program. Both Bono and Reader were brawlers, i just don't think they are very good at teaching technique.

And I think all this can be said, about all the programs coaches not in the top 5 nationally. Why single out Bono? He’s respectable. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, pokemonster said:

I was being obtuse on purpose lol but apparently Askren didn't see eye to eye with the admin/coaches at Wisconsin when he was the RTC coach and, right or wrong, Ben is holding a grudge. Bono is paying royally for it as it seems no AWA kid will ever end up there while he's at the helm. 

Not entirely true.  There has been some AWA kids at UW, but these were not big name recruits nor have they scored any NCAA points.  So Askren is probably happy none of his top tier wrestlers have gone to UW and also happy some lower tier wrestlers have found a home at a Big Ten school.

16 hours ago, pokemonster said:

I was being obtuse on purpose lol but apparently Askren didn't see eye to eye with the admin/coaches at Wisconsin when he was the RTC coach and, right or wrong, Ben is holding a grudge. Bono is paying royally for it as it seems no highly ranked AWA kid will ever end up there while he's at the helm. 

FIFY

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

What happens if Bono brings the Ferraris to Wisconsin?

That might be his only move left.  The well has run dry for Bono and three former AAs, Wick, Gomez and apparently Hamiti now have left Wisconsin early.   He might as well sign his Italian brethren to try to resurrect his program and hope they don't get themselves in trouble.  What does Bono have to lose at this point?  UW only returns one national qualifier and he wasn't even close to AAing.  He's going to fired if he does nothing.

Just now, Hammerlock3 said:

that word always gets a reaction just for its use...usually shawshank redemption though.

I love shawshank, but I do my best to never pass up an opportunity to include the family guy versions of things

5 hours ago, scourge165 said:

I think he'd run into NCAA compliance issues. He'd still have an ownership stake in a club that has relationships with kids long before you can contact them...but I'm not sure exactly why.

Right, 100% a compliance issue. He can't coach or have a financial interest/incentive in a club or other org where a prospective athlete from the same sport trains or competes. Bizzarely, if Askren spun off a separate AWA women's club (AWAW?) he'd be able to take the Wisconsin job because men's and women's wrestling are considered different sports.

3 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

I love shawshank, but I do my best to never pass up an opportunity to include the family guy versions of things

I'm team southpark.....at least we're all team simpsons, unless you're some type of heathen.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

17 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I'm team southpark.....at least we're all team simpsons, unless you're some type of heathen.

Oh man, if there was a southpark obtuse reference to throw in and I missed it, I am disappointed in myself.

43 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Right, 100% a compliance issue. He can't coach or have a financial interest/incentive in a club or other org where a prospective athlete from the same sport trains or competes. Bizzarely, if Askren spun off a separate AWA women's club (AWAW?) he'd be able to take the Wisconsin job because men's and women's wrestling are considered different sports.

Honest question, but don't the RTC hold youth practices for anyone within a certain radius? I know AWA isn't an RTC but I am confused on why a RTC coach, who is also a university coach, can hold practices for prospective athletes.

This is from Cliff Keen's website  https://www.cliffkeenwrestlingclub.com/programs/michigan-rtc/

Participation Criteria

To be eligible to participate, you must have a valid USA Wrestling membership card, be enrolled in 8th – 12th grade, live within 250 miles of the Bahna Wrestling Center [click to check distance], and meet one of the following performance criteria:

1 Placed top 8 at UWW Junior National Championship
2. Placed top 8 at USAW Junior National Championship
3. Placed top 3 at USAW Junior Regional
4. Placed top 8 at USAW 16U National Championship
5. Placed top 8 at UWW Cadet National Championship
6. Placed top 3 at USAW State Junior Freestyle/Greco-Roman Championships
7. Placed top 3 at USAW State 16U Freestyle/Greco-Roman Championships

Bormet is listed under Staff on the same website. 

I understand  the financial interest/incentive is different but that would seem pretty easy to get around by putting it all in his wife's name/ a trust/ or something.    

5 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

What happens if Bono brings the Ferraris to Wisconsin?

Can they make it through a winter?

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.