2024-2025 Lineups

VAtoSC

3 hours ago, VAtoSC said:

With the recent portal activity, Virginia Tech should look like the following now:

125-Eddie Ventresca (Rumors are he is getting close to being 100% healthy again and should be good to go by October which is great news and they need him back to the March 2022 form when he was an All-American with Cooper Flynn hitting the portal)

133-Connor McMonagle (Big time transfer from Lehigh who should contend for AA status)

141-Sam Latona (Moves up a weight again and will be still be tall and long for 141)

149-Caleb Henson (Returning NATIONAL CHAMPION)

157-Rafael Hipolito (Bright future for this kid)

165- ? (I have no idea honestly. I have heard rumblings they are looking to the portal after Connor Brady and Clayton Ulrey elected to enter the portal. Maybe Hipolito goes 165 and Mac Church goes 157?, but I had heard Rafe is a very natural 157. Maybe Luke Robie goes on a big weight gain up from 149/157 where he was this year? Big question mark right now) 

174-Lennox Wolak (All American transfer from Columbia)

184-TJ Stewart (Returning All American. There were some rumblings about him entering the portal but he has confirmed he is ALL HOKIE)

197-Sonny Sasso (Andy Smith had a very good NCAA tournament losing in the blood round and is back his last year, but Sasso is so athletic for a 197, and he had a super impressive redshirt season. This was the first time in his career he focused soley on wrestling and he improved a ton so look for continued growth from him)

285-Jimmy Mullen (Very similar situation as 197 with Hunter Catka returning for his last year after a good showing at NCAAs by making the blood round. Mullen though has stopped playing football for VT and is entirely focused on wrestling now. Very good redshirt year and I think he has a big year in 2025)

Very deep lineup with 5 previous All Americans in Stewart, Wolak, Ventresca, Latona, and Henson. McMonagle certainly has the ability to AA if he is healthy. Sasso and Mullen are both super athletic for their weights. Big question mark at 165, but this team if healthy could challenge for a team trophy. 

Any insider info on Latona going 141 next year? @Husker_Du made it sound like a Latona redshirt was in play for 2024-25.

1 hour ago, Gus said:

Any insider info on Latona going 141 next year? @Husker_Du made it sound like a Latona redshirt was in play for 2024-25.

rumors were the cut was brutal for him this year, which is kinda crazy considering he was once a 141 but hes so tall I think he's probably taller than most 157's.

• Bob 2

I wonder if you see Ohio state punt next year and RS rocco and Jesse. Their best possible teams will be 2025-2026 and 2026-2027 I think looking at their recruiting. You get two years with davino and Birden and potentially two definitely one with vince. Cannon and kharchla are both good options at 141 and 174 respectively for one year. 

38 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

I wonder if you see Ohio state punt next year and RS rocco and Jesse. Their best possible teams will be 2025-2026 and 2026-2027 I think looking at their recruiting. You get two years with davino and Birden and potentially two definitely one with vince. Cannon and kharchla are both good options at 141 and 174 respectively for one year. 

I don't think Cannon will ever see 141 again....and I also seriously question the notion of Jesse agreeing to sit for a year.  

University of Oklahoma 2024-2025 lineup

125: Beric Jordan/Conrad Hendriksen (I think it is possible for Jordan to RS and Hendriksen to start again but I believe Jordan is still an upgrade)

133: Antonio Lorenzo (Ideally, Lorenzo could fit into the lineup at this weight. Not sure why he didn't wrestle last year despite being on the roster but he has quality wins against top guys throughout his career)

141: Mosha Schwartz (I'm genuinely not sure if he still has eligibility but I would have guessed he received a medical RS this past year. If not, then OU is in trouble at this weight)

149: Willie McDougald 

157: John Wiley/Alex Braun (Wiley is slated as the starter per Wrestlestat, however, I believe Braun could start if OU does not decide to RS him)

165: Cael Carlson 

174: Tate Picklo (I don't think Nijenhuis wins the starting job. Hopefully, Picklo can get back to his winning ways next season

184: Deanthony Parker (Not a very deep weight for the Sooners and Parker is likely the best option)

197: Stephen Buchanan 

285: Josh Heindselman 

Edited by charmon55

1 minute ago, charmon55 said:

125: Beric Jordan/Conrad Hendriksen (I think it is possible for Jordan to RS and Hendriksen to start again but I believe Jordan is still an upgrade)

133: Antonio Lorenzo (Ideally, Lorenzo could fit into the lineup at this weight. Not sure why he didn't wrestle last year despite being on the roster but he has quality wins against top guys throughout his career)

141: Mosha Schwartz (I'm genuinely not sure if he still has eligibility but I would have guessed he received a medical RS this past year. If not, then OU is in trouble at this weight)

157: John Wiley/Alex Braun (Wiley is slated as the starter per Wrestlestat, however, I believe Braun could start if OU does not decide to RS him)

174: Tate Picklo (I don't think Nijenhuis wins the starting job. Hopefully, Picklo can get back to his winning ways next season

184: Deanthony Parker (Not a very deep weight for the Sooners and Parker is likely the best option)

Not a bad 'best option' at all. NQ as a true soph with 18-11 record.

• Fire 1

Ohio state snags another big one for the class of 2025 with 1x pa state champ 1x super 32 and Fargo champ Maddox Shaw. Feels like he has a really good style for college he's great on the mat, not sure what weight he projects out at he's pretty long I'd guess 149/157.

• Bob 1

2 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

Ohio state snags another big one for the class of 2025 with 1x pa state champ 1x super 32 and Fargo champ Maddox Shaw. Feels like he has a really good style for college he's great on the mat, not sure what weight he projects out at he's pretty long I'd guess 149/157.

I'm very high on this kid. Gritty. Finds ways to win close matches. tOSU got a good one here. Between him and younger Bouz, their future at the middleweights looks bright.

• Fire 1

16 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Looking like Haines to 174 and Starocci to 197 for Penn State is in play.

thinking SVN 157 kasak 149? or Sealey going right away at 157 or dare I say TB back down to 157

saw an interview that Blaze was warming up with Mendez and that he works out there a lot. Thats all I need to hear to tell myself its a lock he goes to Ohio State so here's a 2025-2026 lineup

125: Vinny k/Mccrone

133: Davino/Bouzakis/Blaze

141: Davino/Bouzakis/Blaze/shaw

149: Mendez

157: Birden/Gallagher/V. Bouzakis

165: Birden/Bouzakis/Gallagher

174: Welsh

184: Rogotzke

197: Geog/Transfer maybe

285: Feldman

I still think the best move is to RS Jesse,Rogotzke,welsh, (Feldman if he used a medical his TF year) next year so you get two years with the current guys and all the young guys.

• Bob 1

On 4/18/2024 at 9:25 AM, charmon55 said:

Lorenzo is very, very small. Him at 133 is a major reach.

On 4/17/2024 at 3:14 PM, Gus said:

Robie came out last week in a VT podcast saying Latona was bumping to 141 next year. A redshirt is not on the table right now- pretty sure he doesn't even have one available unless it would be a medical one. He redshirted in in 19-20, wrestled in 20-21 (free year), wrestled in 21-22, 22-23, and 23-24. Will utilize the free covid year from 2021 next year for his last year of eligibility. 

2x AA in both 2021 and 2023 which were his 1st years in the lineup at 125 and 133. The second year at 125 in 2022 he struggled with the weight cut and probably would have moved up to 133 if VT didn't have Korbin Myers there. The second year at 133 in 2024 he again struggled with some injuries and the weight cut-he is almost 6 feet tall and will still be a large 141 length wise. Think he can do very well there next year, and the ACC should be super entertaining at the weight with him, McNeil from UNC and Jack from NC State.

• Bob 1

On 4/18/2024 at 6:01 PM, nhs67 said:

Looking like Haines to 174 and Starocci to 197 for Penn State is in play.

125: Lilledahl (Davis RS)

133: Nagao

141: Bartlett

149: Kasak

157: SVN

165: Mesenbrink

174: Haines

184: Barr

197: Starr

285: Kerk

Is it crazy to think that lineup can break the 2024 scoring record?!! I think it's realistic the team above could have 5-6 champs. 

• Bob 1

41 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

Is it crazy to think that lineup can break the 2024 scoring record?!! I think it's realistic the team above could have 5-6 champs. 

Maybe PSU ahouldn't wrestle any matches until B1Gs. Take the 14th seed at all weights. They are better than everyone else and they wrestle a lot of freestyle. Why bother with in season matches that everyone says doesn't matter anyway? Forfeit all B1G duals, don't schedule any other the competitions show up at B1Gs and just have a two tourney season (B1G, NCAA) and get back to freestyle/international wrestling. It must be boring to wrestle matches vs vastly inferior comp and also making weight twice a week. Just train year round for international competitions and show up at B1G and NCAA and collect the trophy and be done with it. 

• Fire 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Camel Wrestling Fan said:

Maybe PSU ahouldn't wrestle any matches until B1Gs. Take the 14th seed at all weights. They are better than everyone else and they wrestle a lot of freestyle. Why bother with in season matches that everyone says doesn't matter anyway? Forfeit all B1G duals, don't schedule any other the competitions show up at B1Gs and just have a two tourney season (B1G, NCAA) and get back to freestyle/international wrestling. It must be boring to wrestle matches vs vastly inferior comp and also making weight twice a week. Just train year round for international competitions and show up at B1G and NCAA and collect the trophy and be done with it. 

I'm not sure what your motive is with this post? 

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, Winners Circle said:

I think It would be very difficult to rebreak the record with this team. Id have them winning 165,197,285 and a shot to win 125,141(I think Alirez and Jesse may separate a bit though), 149,174 (I favor KOT by a decent margin). While I think this lineup has crazy upside similarly to this year I think there's a world where MM and Kerk are the only champs if Keck goes 197 I think he can go with Carter. Im not sure where SVN is at post injury and to go up a weight when I didn't think he was that big at 149 could pose issues. Lilledahl has as good of a chance as 8-10 other guys to win 125. Not sure what to expect from Barr I'm sure he does well and I think nagao is a low AA likely at best. They will win the natty again with ease just not sure if 172 is likely. 

1 hour ago, Winners Circle said:

Facundo just steamrolled Haines with what looked like relative ease (by Facundo standards) at OTTs.  Haines couldn't even score a point.

• Bob 1
  • Brain 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

15 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Facundo just steamrolled Haines with what looked like relative ease (by Facundo standards) at OTTs.  Haines couldn't even score a point.

We talk'n about freestyle?

artworks-Dx3cJjyxj89n2Fyb-5obVCA-t500x50

1 hour ago, ionel said:

We talk'n about freestyle?

artworks-Dx3cJjyxj89n2Fyb-5obVCA-t500x50

You're right.

A takedown is worth three in Folkstyle, and the passivites would have amounted to stall calls, so... worse.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

The Mason Gibson commitment makes me wonder about the 2025/2026 Rutgers lineup and if it might look like this:

125: Peterson 

133: Shawver

141: Gibson

149: Oliveri

157: Nini

165: Harer

174: Soldano

184: Cartagena-Walsh

197: Poznanski

285: Transfer Portal