Aaron Brooks hurt?

Jimmy Cinnabon

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

This is not the way to build wrestling.  If he is healthy, he should wrestle.  If he had another color singlet on, the PSU fans would be saying "duck."  This is a fact.  PSU wrestlers have been doing quite a bit of ducking this year tbh.  

Is Cael using 1980s training techniques that are resulting in injury to these guys, or are they afraid to risk a monumental upset?

That is 100% what a duck is.  Crazy stuff happens.  I remember a U23 champ getting pinned by a backup in a match that a team didn't need him for.

So basically: Brooks, RBY, Starocci, Dean so not need to wrestle the rest of the year because they have already proven themselves to be champs?   Absurd.  Put it on the line.  If there is a match, wrestle it.

Agreed...didn't say it was. 

But he wasn't... he was wearing black and orange and was a back-up who was supposed to wrestle an extra match.  

No it's not.

So.... there's always an exception...doesn't change anything. 

Are they wrestling another school's backups the rest of the year?  This is what I actually said "A duck is when someone avoids wrestling someone who is in the same realm of ability and ranking that could upset you and  therefore affect your seeding at conference or NCAA. "

What is the real purpose of a duck? It's to avoid a potential upset in order to preserve your seed.... not avoiding a 2nd string wrestler. This does not qualify as a duck, especially when it was arranged and agreed upon by coaches and wrestlers. 

• Fire 2

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

Agreed...didn't say it was. 

But he wasn't... he was wearing black and orange and was a back-up who was supposed to wrestle an extra match.  

No it's not.

So.... there's always an exception...doesn't change anything. 

Are they wrestling another school's backups the rest of the year?  This is what I actually said "A duck is when someone avoids wrestling someone who is in the same realm of ability and ranking that could upset you and  therefore affect your seeding at conference or NCAA. "

What is the real purpose of a duck? It's to avoid a potential upset in order to preserve your seed.... not avoiding a 2nd string wrestler. This does not qualify as a duck, especially when it was arranged and agreed upon by coaches and wrestlers. 

Wrestle your schedule, unless you have a significant illness or injury.

Was the Princeton backup in the same realm of ability and ranking as Tony Cassioppi?

Wrestle the schedule.  Respect the sport and the fans.

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Agreed, and I was on record over there saying 99% of what is considered a duck by people in these forums is just dumb. The one certified duck is when Schultz was standing matside with headgear on at last year's collegiate duals. And it wasn't even Schultz doing the ducking. That was on Zeke Jones.

In a sport where injury is a near guarantee, we are lazy calling a duck rather than recognzing that fact.

Of course, the Brooks situation was not reported as an injury, but as sportsmanship. The coaches arranged for a fair match. So be it.

I mean, a lot of these fans cry "duck" if Spencer doesn't wrestle Glory, or if a clearly injured Cassioppi or Eierman don't wrestle their last match at Big 10s.  If it isn't "duck," it is "injury mismanagement" or "1980s training techniques."  (As if PSU and NLWC wrestlers have not suffered and/or quite a few significant injuries)  I'm just sick of the level of  dishonesty.

3 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Wrestle your schedule, unless you have a significant illness or injury.

Was the Princeton backup in the same realm of ability and ranking as Tony Cassioppi?

Wrestle the schedule.  Respect the sport and the fans.

Munoz is injured.... Coaches agree to wrestle back ups .... Brooks agrees to let backup Ball wrestle.... PSU back-up wins... PSU backup gets to wrestle in front of huge home crowd... fans loved it... announcers loved it and applauded the coaches for doing it and you say Brooks was ducking Jackson Mckinney. Gotcha. 

• Fire 3

1 minute ago, Idaho said:

Munoz is injured.... Coaches agree to wrestle back ups .... Brooks agrees to let backup Ball wrestle.... PSU back-up wins... PSU backup gets to wrestle in front of huge home crowd... fans loved it... announcers loved it and applauded the coaches for doing it and you say Brooks was ducking Jackson Mckinney. Gotcha. 

I said wrestle the schedule.  If you don't get it, I can't help you.

2 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I mean, a lot of these fans cry "duck" if Spencer doesn't wrestle Glory, or if a clearly injured Cassioppi or Eierman don't wrestle their last match at Big 10s.  If it isn't "duck," it is "injury mismanagement" or "1980s training techniques."  (As if PSU and NLWC wrestlers have not suffered and/or quite a few significant injuries)  I'm just sick of the level of  dishonesty.

Agreed, and I call them out as lazy or dumb takes. I do think there is room for an honest discussion around possible overuse/overtraining injuries at Iowa, though. I say possible because I do not know, but last year seemed like a case of overuse injuries accumulating.

Where Spencer Lee has made it clear that the decision to wrestle or not is his, you cannot put that on the coaches that in hindsight he made a poor decision to not get his knees repaired prior to last year. But with Eierman, Kemerer, and Cassioppi I think it is a fair question to ask if these injuries were due to overtraining.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

17 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I said wrestle the schedule.  If you don't get it, I can't help you.

BAHAHAHA.... 

14 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I said sportsmanship. If you don't get it, I can't help you.

Exactly! 

4 hours ago, Le duke said:

Aaron Brooks is a two time defending national champion who just decimated the next top returning wrestler, a 2x 3rd placer. If he was interested in ducking, he wouldn’t have taken that match.

If he wants to take the weekend off, maybe he has a good reason to do it. Maybe he’s sick. Maybe he’s injured. Maybe he wanted to let a good friend of his wrestle under the lights on front of a sell out home crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And Like RBY said... he's not wrestling a full schedule .... he is going to wrestle when he feels like wrestling. What a ducker!   Funny t hing is I am a big Oregeon State fan...

Edited by Idaho

28 minutes ago, CementMixer said:

Spencer Lee hurt?

Brody Teske hurt?

Nelson Brands hurt?

And here is an example of the idiocy:  Guys who they are managing, but it gets called out.  If it was Penn State it is "sprtsmanship."

A few PSU injuries from recent years:

Howard hurt

Howard hurt

Nolf hurt

Berge hurt

Berge hurt

Starrocci hurt

Shakur hurt

Shakur hurt

Cassar hurt

Cassar hurt

Kerkvliet hurt

Kerkvliet hurt

Kerkvliet hurt

and now Brooks?

PSU generally seems to have done a better job timing most of their injuries and/or getting guys able to wrestle hurt.

As far as the Eierman thing- guy gave up his leg way, way too much.  And Cassioppi was one of several B10 heavies not named Gable who were severely beat up at the end (Parris, Kerkvliet)

Nelson Brands UCL was caused by pitching in the Iowa intramural baseball league.  His dad and uncle probably should have had him on a lower pitch count, but to blame them for his serious motorcycle injury takes a sick pup.

Nolf hurt

Nolf was assaulted in NJ. Close to weehawken

and now Brooks?

Brooks is not injured.

Maybe dial down the New Jersey to 8.5. You're running at 9.25 right now

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Fire 1
  • Haha 2

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

21 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Well, two PSU fans insinuated he might be hurt.  One was Cinnabon, but the other was the authority on all things PSU... the esteemed LeDuke. 😉

Munoz wasn't going and Ball vs Mckinney was scheduled to be an extra bout.  So instead of Brooks going and putting on a showcase on McKinney he sat it out and let Ball wrestle his scheduled match during the official dual.  A whole lot of arguing over nothing. 

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Holy hell man. Coaches match up athletes with similar abilities all the time. Especially if they trust the other coach to be honest about how good the kid is…

I did it the other week. A coach I respect asked me to match up guys with similar experience and I had the Dual already when won on forfeits. He’s having a down year and almost every team in our area is devastated by kids getting sick. Throwing out my best guys to run over first year wrestlers in their first competition would have served no one… 

it seems pretty clear brooks isn’t hurt. Are you being deliberately obtuse 

• Fire 4