Dead Horse Abuse: Fix

5 hours ago, Idaho said:

I'm not a John Smith fan by any means... two coaches I really dislike and he is one of them. I agree with the comments about him and the program.....But for Fix himself, the guy lost 6 matches in 4 years... Suriano in OT... RBY in OT....RBY by 1.... Vito my Major... McGee by 1.... Vito by 2

The only "bad loss" he took was maybe  McGee.  He lost to a world champ by major last year - a guy who steamrolled everyone. He came back past his prime and ended up in the match until the last minute. What did people expect to happen there? If he had beat Vito it would have been because Vito was hurt and then it doesn't count. Was Fix picked to win over Vito? No.  I'm not convinced based on this season that he got worse, when the only loss he took was a world champ that he wrestled tougher against this year than last. Is this where the vito was hurt and Fix stalled comes in? 

That's 6 matches in 5 years - just saying

Just now, VakAttack said:

When @BIGTENFANBOY noted (and I checked because I couldn't believe it but it was very, very true) that Fix had never scored a point in the NCAA finals that wasn't an escape or a penalty point of some kind (stalling, etc.), my mind was blown.

Contrary to what some here may think, I absolutely know what the heck Im talking about.

• Bob 2

Just now, BarSeries said:

Less than a month to weigh 125.6 lbs

"What does it look like between now and the trials?"

"A lot of running." 

Haha...good line Fix. 

• Wrestle 1
  • Ban Basketball 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Fix came into college a nearly finished product.  Did he get too conservative over time?  Definitely.  Did he wrestle this entire tournament to not lose rather than to win?  Yes.  

I don't think that means John Smith forgot how to coach.  These guys shouldn't be in college for 7+ years.  

• Bob 3

5 hours ago, Dogbone said:

Fix is now the greatest wrestler to never win a title.   He just lost to the defending World Champ and everyone is pretending like he regressed.   I know he was in college for 7 years, but there might not be another human, regardless of age, that can beat Vito when he is on. 

I don't understand how he is so good at freestyle yet appears to rely (or wants to rely) on his top game in folkstyle to win big matches.   But the hate for Fix seems to have gone too far.   There do seem to be a lot of challenges in his matches (probably because they are so close) but JS does win a fair number of them.  That isn't Fix's fault. 

The push-out really helps his freestyle strategy. His slide-by, double unders/footsweep, inside trip all work much better when opponents have to pressure back to avoid the push-out. 

• Brain 1

7 hours ago, Idaho said:

Was Fix picked to win over Vito? No.  I'm not convinced based on this season that he got worse, when the only loss he took was a world champ that he wrestled tougher against this year than last. Is this where the vito was hurt and Fix stalled comes in? 

The seeds told a different story about who was picked to win, as did a lot of observers.  To be fair, Fix might have won against the last version of Vito people saw in the EIWA tournament.

Fix didn't "wrestle tougher" this year than in 2023:  in 2023 he chose to actually wrestle against Vito.  He remembers what happened in that semi-final and wasn't going to repeat that performance.

I was just re-watching a bunch of Vito's matches this tournament using the stream with commentary, so I saw Fix's matches for the first time in the split screen.  Holy hell, what a display of not wrestling those matches were.  One after another.  The only way Fix did not get worse this season is if he was just as disengaged last year.

• Bob 1

4 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

The seeds told a different story about who was picked to win, as did a lot of observers.  To be fair, Fix might have won against the last version of Vito people saw in the EIWA tournament.

Fix didn't "wrestle tougher" this year than in 2023:  in 2023 he chose to actually wrestle against Vito.  He remembers what happened in that semi-final and wasn't going to repeat that performance.

I was just re-watching a bunch of Vito's matches this tournament using the stream with commentary, so I saw Fix's matches for the first time in the split screen.  Holy hell, what a display of not wrestling those matches were.  One after another.  The only way Fix did not get worse this season is if he was just as disengaged last year.

Yeah...this.  There was a very real reason the entire arena was booing in the finals...because they had also watched round 2, quarters, and semis as well...

I also have to push back hard against the "they said he was the villain and they were mean to him" narrative going on.  That's not true at all.  

What makes NCAA's so tremendous is that with every single match, someone's dreams get to live, and they do so by standing atop the crushed dreams of someone else's.  For this to happen, because of the immeasurable amount of effort that goes into being able to wrestle in the tournament, it is expected that you EARN the right to continue to have your dreams live and breathe for another round.  

In this scenario, it is also expected that refs are VERY impartial.  Because the stakes are so high, any mistake one way or another is absolutely not tolerated, because it is literally messing with an athlete's life work.  Fix benefitted three times (4, but Vito was enough to overcome it) in a row from a finger on the scale trying to push his story further.  When it happens once, OK that's just a ref being stingy.  When it happens 3 TIMES IN A ROW...

As the old saying goes...

"I'm not sayin...I'm just sayin..."

Also, mama fix...your son is 26.

• Bob 1

I will reiterate what I think the main point is, as a couple people have mentioned. He may have hit the ceiling no matter who was coaching. He may not be the athlete that can take it to the next level. He was at an extremely high level coming in. If you look at his body type compared to the body types of many of the athletes who are doing more, he is short and stocky with short limbs. Even look at his coach, JS has long limber limbs.  Today's wrestlers are much different than they used to be. They're much more flexible and many of them have long lanky arms and legs. Fix may not be suitable to move consistently into the top 1%.

• Bob 4

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, wrestlingshoe said:

If you look at his body type compared to the body types of many of the athletes who are doing more, he is short and stocky with short limbs. Even look at his coach, JS has long limber limbs....Fix may not be suitable to move consistently into the top 1%

Here's the 5'1" at 60 kg exception that proves the rule: 

Edited by jackwebster

44 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Here's the 5'1" at 60 kg exception that proves the rule: 

I mean, not bad not bad.  Russia seems to have a few of those exceptions floating around the history books.  My personal favorite wrestler of all time is a ~6 foot beanstalk who weighed in waaay under weight in sydney and wound up pinning Yoel Romero in the olympic finals.  His brother was also pretty good.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

His brother was also pretty good.

Adam had a a peculiar body type, too. He had a real long torso and real short legs. 

BTW you might have mispojen about Sydney, or I'm just reading your post incorrectly: B Saitiev was the bean pole, but didn't wrestle Romero in Sydney. A Saitiev did.

Edited by jackwebster

19 minutes ago, BarSeries said:

Fix.jpg

I posted this 9 hours ago so others can see what it’s like for the family members.  Unfortunately it appears to have fallen on deaf ears. 

Edited by Rassling

5 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Adam had a a peculiar body type, too. He had a real long torso and real short legs. 

BTW you might have mispojen about Sydney, or I'm just reading your post incorrectly: B Saitiev was the bean pole, but didn't wrestle Romero in Sydney. A Saitiev did.

I wasn’t very direct with what I was saying, Adam at that Olympics weighed in way underweight and was also rather beanpole shaped.

57 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

I wasn’t very direct with what I was saying, Adam at that Olympics weighed in way underweight and was also rather beanpole shaped.

Look at these two idiots discussing body types - to got to be kidding me.