We need a push out rule!!

32 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

And 133 may have been over much, much, much sooner. Mercifully.

Then we'd have to watch basketball sooner.  Where is Ban? 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Those who crave pushouts can watch sumo.

Other posters: I'd prefer they have to stay on the mat and wrestle instead of run away like cowards.

Folkstlye Weirdos: If you can't run away to prevent the attacking wrestler from scoring why even wrestle the match?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ionel said:

Baseball is boring so fans have time to drink more beer.  When you see a wrestler playing the outer circle you know there is time to go to the fridge for another beer.  If we had a push out rule beer & snack consumption would take a dive and the economy would crash.  Do we really want the economy to crash?  🤨

You know I like whiskey, but I can always get my beer while God is being praised. Seems appropriately given how Jesus treats water.

• Bob 1

8 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

Other posters: I'd prefer they have to stay on the mat and wrestle instead of run away like cowards.

Folkstlye Weirdos: If you can't run away to prevent the attacking wrestler from scoring why even wrestle the match?

A bigger easily solved issue:  how is it possible when we go from 8 mats down to 4 or especially down to 1 we can't have enough mat border to prevent a wrestler from going off the mat edge when they are technically still inbounds?  

• Brain 5
  • Fire 1

54 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Which finals matches would have had a different winner as a result of there being a pushout rule?

125 for sure. Fig spent the entire match back pedaling. 

It’s hard for Ayala to even force action when he’s literally chasing the entire match. 

• Bob 1

13 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

Other posters. I hate when guys try to finish shots I want everyone to be walking single off the Mat and just trying to shoot dudes off. That's so sick. My blood doesn't even get pumping unless there's a battle to see if the guy getting pushed can drop to his knees fast enough and his opponent can't circle behind because a step out is a point and also can't push him out on his knees. Oh baby ruin my sport. 

It's trashstyle season. If you want the step out go watch h it.

• Brain 1

7 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

You know I like whiskey, but I can always get my beer while God is being praised. Seems appropriately given how Jesus treats water.

I do personally appreciate your contribution to corn demand given I'm on the supply side.   🌽 

9 minutes ago, ionel said:

A bigger easily solved issue:  how is it possible when we go from 8 mats down to 4 or especially down to 1 we can't have enough mat border to prevent a wrestler from going off the mat edge when they are technically still inbounds?  

And to prevent injuries. 

27 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

Care to elaborate?

🙂  

Vito v Fix levels of brick throwing all the time because nobody knows what the hell is going on is the biggest hint. If scoring is so ambiguous, it suggests the way things are scored very often doesn't demonstrate any meaningful control.

1 hour ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

I'm all for the push-out. It is a great rule in Freestyle. Love it! Moreover, it would help Folkstyle by removing a lot of the subjectivity plaguing matches right now. Although I think refs are doing a pretty damn good job of it, considering all of the subjectivity inherent in the rule. 

A couple questions, though: First, would there also have to be a rule about grounding?

Second, there was a poster on Twitter that brought up a good point: What about people on bottom trying to escape? After thinking about it, I had to immediately question my support of a push out rule. On bottom, you get to your feet and immediately try to separate your hips by running away. That can often lead to the top guy pushing you, or just following you, out of bounds. 

With a push out rule, the top guy gets a point instead of a potential stall call. 

Escapes are hard enough, in my opinion! Because of that foreseeable consequence, I have amended my support for the push out to only when both wrestlers are in neutral. What else could you do about escapes? Is there another way to get around that issue? 

I’ve asked if it might be better for folk style to just allow takedowns initiated inbounds to count even if they finish out of bounds.  No need to drag the toe. 

• Brain 1

9 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

You are right.  People complained...and then the overall level of wrestling went through the roof.  Eastern bloc wrestlers developed cardio.  Iran made a killing on it.  And India developed a team.  

I have yet to see the level of wrestling go up in free

49 minutes ago, forkemaz said:

Other posters. I hate when guys try to finish shots I want everyone to be walking single off the Mat and just trying to shoot dudes off. That's so sick. My blood doesn't even get pumping unless there's a battle to see if the guy getting pushed can drop to his knees fast enough and his opponent can't circle behind because a step out is a point and also can't push him out on his knees. Oh baby ruin my sport. 

I like free. but I agree with most of what you say here!!

everyone thinks the level in free went up with the pushout... not really.

• Fire 1

43 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

I’ve asked if it might be better for folk style to just allow takedowns initiated inbounds to count even if they finish out of bounds.  No need to drag the toe. 

Interesting.  In theory better action.  However are there side effects - like would potential to injure increase?  

1 hour ago, JuanMogen said:

Vito v Fix levels of brick throwing all the time because nobody knows what the hell is going on is the biggest hint. If scoring is so ambiguous, it suggests the way things are scored very often doesn't demonstrate any meaningful control.

This seems to be a knock on folkstyle? I'm not following 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, forkemaz said:

So to understand your point. No consequences for anything on the edge of the mat makes for a superior product? 
I can see encouraging wrestling in the center of the mat is not entertaining to you, and I will try to adjust my views moving forward. 

If they go the push out route they should at least make it entertaining:

1 pt - out of bounds

2 pts - off the mat

3 pts - into the scorers table of over a chair

tech fall - into the lap of a cute wrestling mom

10 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

So to understand your point. No consequences for anything on the edge of the mat makes for a superior product? 
I can see encouraging wrestling in the center of the mat is not entertaining to you, and I will try to adjust my views moving forward. 

Its not a lack of consequence that makes edge wrestling better in folkstyle its that you can still score actual wrestling maneuvers with even one toe in. Pushing isn't a wrestling move and it shouldn't be worth a darn thing.

34 minutes ago, swoopdown said:

Interesting.  In theory better action.  However are there side effects - like would potential to injure increase?  

It could make it safer as well as better.  No incentive to head for the boundary if it won’t save you.  It would be a good idea to add 4-6 foot boundary for existing mats, anyway. 

Cheap and lazy arguments being made.  

Who actually thinks the push out rule has changed Freestyle into Sumo?  No one.  Well, Ok …  No one with an IQ over 75.

Does the edge get gamed still in freestyle, yes, it does a bit.  But we have to do something much more powerful to prevent all the ass to the edge wrestling.

Seeing Vito demand Crookham get to the center by point down to the center of the mat, while Crookham stayed many feet away, was awesome and sad.  Good for Crookham for agreeing to do so, for that moment.

• Fire 1