• 141- Kasak - Bartlett
  • 149- SVN - Kasak
  • 157- Haines
  • 165- MM - Sealey
  • 174- Facundo - Ryder - Starocci
  • 184- Barr
  • 197- Connor Mirasola
  • 285- Cole Mirasola - Kerkvliet

Lucas Cochran will be starting next year at 197.

Given the fact that Keckeisen and Aaron Brooks are very close I would be surprised if Penn State doesn't (at the very least) try to get Keckeisen as a transfer to Penn State for next season.   Keckeisen will be in the same position (next season) as Bernie Truax was last season, i.e., a sixth (and last) season for 2025.

Keckeisen has been at UNI for five years so he must be a graduate and can transfer if he wants to do so.

Edited by Thumper

Why is everybody still so high on Mason Gibson despite the losses he's had this year?

I'd love to see him out there next year but I just can't see it. Maybe in a few seasons?

• Bob 1

6 hours ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

Is Bartlett definitely coming back? Truth be told, I could see Kasak at 141 and surpassing him...

He should.  Kasak should redshirt and SVN comes back.  Kasak is a natural 141 and can slide in the following season when Beau is done.

Cael has coached wrestlers to 40 individual NCAA titles.  The most by a coach is 45 by Dan Gable.  PSU could return 3 national champs (Haines, Starocci, and Kerkvliet), 2 runners up (Bartlett and Mesenbrink), 2 third place finishers (Kasak and Van Ness), and another guy who was the top seed at NCAAs this year (Davis).

They could start the year with 4 top ranked wrestlers (Haines, Messenbrink, Starocci, Kerkvliet) and two number 2 ranked wrestlers (Bartlett and Kasak/Van Ness).  Bartlett has beaten Mendez the presumptive number 1 at 141 to start the year and Van Ness has bested Henson the presumptive #1 at 149.

They should have at least 6-7 title contenders and Lilledahl, Nagao, Barr, and a Mirasola could add to that next season.  Could they actually be better next season?  Does Sanderson catch Gable in individual national titles?

• Bob 1

8 minutes ago, fishbane said:

Cael has coached wrestlers to 40 individual NCAA titles.  The most by a coach is 45 by Dan Gable.  PSU could return 3 national champs (Haines, Starocci, and Kerkvliet), 2 runners up (Bartlett and Mesenbrink), 2 third place finishers (Kasak and Van Ness), and another guy who was the top seed at NCAAs this year (Davis).

They could start the year with 4 top ranked wrestlers (Haines, Messenbrink, Starocci, Kerkvliet) and two number 2 ranked wrestlers (Bartlett and Kasak/Van Ness).  Bartlett has beaten Mendez the presumptive number 1 at 141 to start the year and Van Ness has bested Henson the presumptive #1 at 149.

They should have at least 6-7 title contenders and Lilledahl, Nagao, Barr, and a Mirasola could add to that next season.  Could they actually be better next season?  Does Sanderson catch Gable in individual national titles?

When all is said and done, Cael will pass all of Gable's records, except for the bigten team title streak and maybe the consecutive NCAA team title streak..

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:
  • 125 - Lilledahl (Davis RS)
  • 133 - ? (Nagao) 
  • 141 - Bartlett (Kasak RS)
  • 149- SVN 
  • 157- MM
  • 165- Haines
  • 174- Starocci
  • 184- Barr
  • 197- [transfer?]
  • 285- Kerkvliet

Con Mirasola at 197 beat Max Dean in December. So he should be ready to go. 

23 minutes ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

When all is said and done, Cael will pass all of Gable's records, except for the bigten team title streak and maybe the consecutive NCAA team title streak..

He is far behind Gable in AAs.  He could surpass him but it would be in more years of coaching even if you limit Sanderson's sample size to just PSU years. 

As you pointed out 20 for 20 in Big Ten title will be a tall order and her certainly won't be able to do it in his first 20 years like Gable. 

Gable had 15 team titles in 20 years.  Sanderson has 11 in 18 years.  If you remove the COVID year it's 11 in 17.  If you remove the ISU years it's 11 in 15.  If you remove the ISU years and the COVID year it's 11 in 14.  Can't get 15 in his first 20.  He could get 15 in fewer than 20 years at PSU.

2 hours ago, Tomblvd said:

Why is everybody still so high on Mason Gibson despite the losses he's had this year?

I'd love to see him out there next year but I just can't see it. Maybe in a few seasons?

He wrestled with a serious inj all year I was told, didn’t want to sit out and miss his senior year especially since they were all allowed to compete finally , most likely he doesn’t see any tournaments or matches next year and just heals up and adjusts to the college room , idk if he ever cracks the line up at PSU reguardless of health but just last year he was battling back and forth with Stanich on 2 occasions just to give you an idea of his talent when healthy 

1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

He wrestled with a serious inj all year I was told, didn’t want to sit out and miss his senior year especially since they were all allowed to compete finally , most likely he doesn’t see any tournaments or matches next year and just heals up and adjusts to the college room , idk if he ever cracks the line up at PSU reguardless of health but just last year he was battling back and forth with Stanich on 2 occasions just to give you an idea of his talent when healthy 

It wouldnt shock me if Gibson went 125 in college. Hes pretty short and wasnt going to start over Forrest. He wrestled a bit at 138 before switching with Bassett....