ESPN failed on these announcer's

16 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I tried to warn everyone about DC y’all were far more optimistic about it then me 

A friend of mine had his daughter in DC's club and he said that he isn't very professional lol 

I've enjoyed the announcers.  DC is the most fun and the most obnoxious.  He's been on the right side of that balance for me.  I understand others feel differently.  I like it being fun.  Even when they wander from the topic I am fine.  I don't need anyone to explain wrestling to me while I watch.  I do need people to help make me laugh while I watch wrestling.

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, boconnell said:

I've enjoyed the announcers.  DC is the most fun and the most obnoxious.  He's been on the right side of that balance for me.  I understand others feel differently.  I like it being fun.  Even when they wander from the topic I am fine.  I don't need anyone to explain wrestling to me while I watch.  I do need people to help make me laugh while I watch wrestling.

Agreed, I liked them. Especially DC.

Truly terrible work by ESPN. 

Kessenich somehow gets worse every year.  How is that possible? 

Constant poor directing.  The other day they made this big deal out of Starocci the whole broadcast and then they didn't show the beginning of his match -- and the takedown against him -- live.  And they constantly missed the shots they should have had, all the way through after the end of the Brooks match when they cut away from him for a meaningless shot of Hidlay before (I assume, will never know for sure since they didn't show it) he was going to hug Cael, who you knew was going to blow out of there as fast as he could after that to otherwise avoid the cameras.  That wouldn't have been something to top off the telecast -- the biggest current name in wrestling, his 11th title, breaks the scoring record, hugs his 4x champ who he has been rolling around in the room with for four years.  Let's instead show Hidlay and coaches literally doing nothing.  Well done.

Cormier was so bad it's hard to describe.  I think he literally didn't say one thing the whole weekend that added anything to the broadcast.  Why anyone would have thought he'd be good is hard to understand.

And the shame of it is that Burroughs is terrific. Classy, knowledgeable, smart, good sense of how much to speak and when.  And even worse is the fact that he and Gibbons were fantastic together on the same network this year for the Iowa-Iowa State dual.  Great chemistry, charming byplay, calling each other Coach and Champ, super enjoyable on top of delivering a solid informative broadast.  So let's not learn anything from that and instead pair Burroughs with a blowhard who hasn't done any homework about what he's covering.

Great job guys.  You suck.

• Bob 3
  • Brain 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Rassling said:

Hey I give the decision makers credit for trying something different. Unfortunately speaking off the cuff at a national event with limited knowledge came off amateurish. 

I don't know what day it was but JB showed up dressed like a villian that sells coke in a 70s movie. Didn't look good.

Cormier was awful. It’s funny that he’s complaining on twitter about the criticism and shitting on the sport as his excuse. 

ESPN is usually great, but this year was not good. 

Edited by billyhoyle

Cormier made me laugh and even gag on my food a couple of times this weekend. He's definitely unprofessional, but I don't know if I mind it that much. 

I think, were he to rejoin the broadcast next year, that somebody needs to jump on that can stop him at times because his ranting veered into the annoyance territory a few times.

4 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Cormier made me laugh and even gag on my food a couple of times this weekend. He's definitely unprofessional, but I don't know if I mind it that much. 

I think, were he to rejoin the broadcast next year, that somebody needs to jump on that can stop him at times because his ranting veered into the annoyance territory a few times.

He’d be a very good sideline guy. He just talks too much about things that have nothing to do with the actual match to be on the match calls. 

10 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

I don’t mind them that much. But by having both of them together we are losing a real analyst and background knowledge guy in the mix.  

I think the worst part was him arguing and interrupting so much with Rock Harrison during semis.  Rock would be attempting to explain rules and what the refs were looking for when there were coaches challenges and he would yell over him things like, "CMON ROCK, THAT'S NOT RIGHT" or "THAT'S NOT THE RULES".  At one point Rock even said, "I'm just glad there arent any challenges". You could tell he was fed up. 

• Bob 3

"Look good, feel good, wrestle good." - J Jaggers

DC is very unprofessional. Shows up and thinks he's the cream of the crop cause he announces for the UFC (which he is equally bad at as well). He is one of those announcers that loves to hear the sound of his own voice rather than analyze and commentate a match. What an abomination.

11 hours ago, dragit said:

Truly terrible work by ESPN. 

Kessenich somehow gets worse every year.  How is that possible? 

Constant poor directing.  The other day they made this big deal out of Starocci the whole broadcast and then they didn't show the beginning of his match -- and the takedown against him -- live.  And they constantly missed the shots they should have had, all the way through after the end of the Brooks match when they cut away from him for a meaningless shot of Hidlay before (I assume, will never know for sure since they didn't show it) he was going to hug Cael, who you knew was going to blow out of there as fast as he could after that to otherwise avoid the cameras.  That wouldn't have been something to top off the telecast -- the biggest current name in wrestling, his 11th title, breaks the scoring record, hugs his 4x champ who he has been rolling around in the room with for four years.  Let's instead show Hidlay and coaches literally doing nothing.  Well done.

Cormier was so bad it's hard to describe.  I think he literally didn't say one thing the whole weekend that added anything to the broadcast.  Why anyone would have thought he'd be good is hard to understand.

And the shame of it is that Burroughs is terrific. Classy, knowledgeable, smart, good sense of how much to speak and when.  And even worse is the fact that he and Gibbons were fantastic together on the same network this year for the Iowa-Iowa State dual.  Great chemistry, charming byplay, calling each other Coach and Champ, super enjoyable on top of delivering a solid informative broadast.  So let's not learn anything from that and instead pair Burroughs with a blowhard who hasn't done any homework about what he's covering.

Great job guys.  You suck.

I feel badly for Quint as his job is basically impossible. Every year he gets dumped on but what exactly is he supposed to do? He's catching these guys at a terrible time. He's only as good as the wrestler getting interviewed. Sometimes we get lucky and catch MM, Henson or Hidlay (he and his brother were great). Other times aka 80% of the time, we get guys that are sucking wind and can barely think straight let alone sound coherent on the mic.

4 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I feel badly for Quint as his job is basically impossible. Every year he gets dumped on but what exactly is he supposed to do? He's catching these guys at a terrible time. He's only as good as the wrestler getting interviewed. Sometimes we get lucky and catch MM, Henson or Hidlay (he and his brother were great). Other times aka 80% of the time, we get guys that are sucking wind and can barely think straight let alone sound coherent on the mic.

He (and all sideline reporters) should stop asking "What does this win mean to you?"  Asinine question.  What are they going to say, 'Oh, I've been training my whole life and sacrificing chances to try lots of other life experiences and I've suffered injuries just for this goal, but hey, it was no big deal to win today.'  

Ask a sport-related question.