WrestleStat March Matness 2024 Tournament Pool

Is anyone else participating in this challenge where you have 1000 points to choose 10 wrestlers and score the most points? 

I'm trying to ensure I win and can donate my earnings to BTS.

Attached is the Legend for points per seed. What’s the best lineup I can make with a 1000 point constraint? 

934CD09C-6283-41D6-893C-DCF402E37026.png

1 hour ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Is anyone else participating in this challenge where you have 1000 points to choose 10 wrestlers and score the most points? 

Attached is the Legend for points per seed. What’s the best lineup I can make with a 1000 point constraint? 

Bonus points are less correlated to seeds than other ways of scoring. So, if they are including bonus points in the scoring then the higher seeds are slightly over priced.

It looks like this with bonus (negative means overpriced):

image.thumb.png.b50ad5c6e126ac6e1aaffbc7d4cb5572.png

Now you need to figure out which of the ten #13 seeds will bust the bracket the most.

• Fire 1

58 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Carter (hes going to be unbelievably chalk so on the off chance he loses to mehki and med defaults youd have crazy leverage by not using him but its hard to pass up on a 9 seed thats the favorite to win the weight)

heavy is a weight i feel like you want to prioritize one of the big 3 wyatt has been my lean because of his chance to make the finals as well as his bonus ability but those 3 guys seem to have really separated from the field 

157 is a weight I think you can get some value. Levi is a likely champ but im not a huge fan of his draw for bonus opportunities and I think the field is wide open enough that you can take some shots. I like Andonian,Zerben,Mauller in that order

141 I lean brock hardy top 5 upside with an outside shot at making the finals (very outside)

149 I like gomez legit shot to win it and a very favorable draw to the semis imo 

125 I think you just go with your favorite value guy I like Camacho but you still give up decent points on him Poulin, Palmer (if you think he can win off the scale) seem like solid picks 

184 and 197 are my main pay ups I think keck could bonus the field and same thing with trent and Aaron they could bonus to the finals

2 hours ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

I'd like to use my 1,000 points to buy 16.67 Staroccis.  

• Bob 1
  • Wrestle 1

5 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Keep in mind I have to take Ramos, I’m sure eveyone in my league is. 

thanks for the help thought! 

I like my too seeded guys (Kerk, Mendez, O’toole) but I don’t like my lower seeded guys. Will evaluate and share when I update! 

I'd drop O'toole and pick up another top seed if you're looking for bonus value.  He has a tough go quarters on.  There's an obvious top seed that I think a lot of people forgot has been wrestling this season 

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

13 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

I'd drop O'toole and pick up another top seed if you're looking for bonus value.  He has a tough go quarters on.  There's an obvious top seed that I think a lot of people forgot has been wrestling this season 

Is the ultimate goal not to pick the champions though? 

30 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Is the ultimate goal not to pick the champions though? 

I wouldn't say that but think of it this way just for fun.  Using WKNs chart lets say the admin let you take 5 #1 seeds for your 1,000 & I took 5 # 2 seeds (800) I'd have 200 points to spare and could take a #1 seed.  Chances are I beat you by having 6 scoring wrestlers vs your 5.  Your five #1's expected score (102.65) vs my five #2's & one #1 (106.93)  It's all about value.  Also, you have to take Carter Starocci.  A)  he's the best value pick at #9 and probably at any weight B) It's an offset pick.  Have to strategize because everyone is taking him or at least they should

Edited by PortaJohn

13 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

I wouldn't say that but think of it this way just for fun.  Using WKNs chart lets say the admin let you take 5 #1 seeds for your 1,000 & I took 5 # 2 seeds (800) I'd have 200 points to spare and could take a #1 seed.  Chances are I beat you by having 6 scoring wrestlers vs your 5.  Your five #1's expected score (102.65) vs my five #2's & one #1 (106.93)  It's all about value.  Also, you have to take Carter Starocci.  A)  he's the best value pick at #9 and probably at any weight B) It's an offset pick.  Have to strategize because everyone is taking him or at least they should

I think this strategy is really sound for smaller field tourneys to win something big you probably have to get lucky with some mid seed guys but I think doing this could certainly win like a 20-30 man thing pretty easily 

18 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

I think this strategy is really sound for smaller field tourneys to win something big you probably have to get lucky with some mid seed guys but I think doing this could certainly win like a 20-30 man thing pretty easily 

I've been able to win many of my pools with usually only taking one #1 seed.  Sometime I take none and build it around #2's & #3's.  For the big board luck definitely has to be on your side

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Bob 1

3 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

I’m looking at a 20 man pool, is the ideal scenario picking as many “locks” to place as possible? Attached is my team.

if I win I’ll ask the board where to throw the money! 

C134C2C7-F4CD-4B41-901E-65AC02E588A7.png