Division 3 to Division 1

Shane Liegel from Wisconsin is a #24 seed at 184 that transferred from D3 (Loras) to D1 this year.  

Are there any other wrestlers in past years where you've seen this happen and qualify for the national tournament? Any AA? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

12 minutes ago, animalhouse said:

Shane Liegel from Wisconsin is a #24 seed at 184 that transferred from D3 (Loras) to D1 this year.  

Are there any other wrestlers in past years where you've seen this happen and qualify for the national tournament? Any AA? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Not D3 but off the top of my head

Isaiah White D2 to Nebraska (AA) 2019

Swafford NAIA to Iowa

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

20 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Not D3 but off the top of my head

Isaiah White D2 to Nebraska (AA) 2019

Swafford NAIA to Iowa

He was supposed to head to Ohio State, but couldn't for some reason?  Unsure why at this point.  He surfaced in D2 then transferred.

• Bob 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

3 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

He was supposed to head to Ohio State, but couldn't for some reason?  Unsure why at this point.  He surfaced in D2 then transferred.

Academics 

• Bob 2

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

40 minutes ago, animalhouse said:

This one has been intriguing for me all year.  He wasn't just a D3 wrestler, he was a D3 stud (1, 4, 2).  He has been a solid member of the lineup all year, ranked in the mid-high teens the last half of the season.  This gives a good look at how D3 compares to D1.

• Bob 2
  • Fire 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

I remember Karl Lynes was a JUCO champ back in the 80's and transferred to Okie State. He was 4th place at NCAAs in 1984. He was seeded #4 in 1983 but lost in his first match and the stupid repechage system was used back then. When the guy who beat him didn't make the finals, poof, Karl was done. 

JUCO is actually a notch below D3 isn't it? 

Edited by NM1965

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

This one has been intriguing for me all year.  He wasn't just a D3 wrestler, he was a D3 stud (1, 4, 2).  He has been a solid member of the lineup all year, ranked in the mid-high teens the last half of the season.  This gives a good look at how D3 compares to D1.

There's a big gap between D1 and D2/D3. I thought the different levels were much closer until I started looking at wrestlestats results. Looking at small tournaments where reserves from D1 schools wrestle the guys from smaller programs shows that the D1 reserves usually smoke even good D2/D3 wrestlers. There are exceptions of course. 

Floyd "Shorty" Hitchcock excelled as a wrestler during his days at Bloomsburg University. He posted an 84-7-2 dual meet record and won 3 PSAC Championships. His senior year he won both the Division I and II National titles in the 177-pound weight class and was named the Outstanding Wrestler in both tournaments. He also won a silver medal at the 1973 World Games in Moscow. During his high school coaching days at Lake Lehman, he guided the Knights to 4 District 2 Titles and was a 4-time district coach of the year. In 1981, he coached Lake-Lehman to the PIAA Class AA State Championship. Two of his former high school stars were Rick and Rock Bonomo, who later achieved All-American honors at Bloomsburg.

• Bob 2
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

There's a big gap between D1 and D2/D3. I thought the different levels were much closer until I started looking at wrestlestats results. Looking at small tournaments where reserves from D1 schools wrestle the guys from smaller programs shows that the D1 reserves usually smoke even good D2/D3 wrestlers. There are exceptions of course. 

This. As pointed out. Exceptions, not as a rule. 

• Bob 1

11 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

Floyd "Shorty" Hitchcock excelled as a wrestler during his days at Bloomsburg University. He posted an 84-7-2 dual meet record and won 3 PSAC Championships. His senior year he won both the Division I and II National titles in the 177-pound weight class and was named the Outstanding Wrestler in both tournaments. He also won a silver medal at the 1973 World Games in Moscow. During his high school coaching days at Lake Lehman, he guided the Knights to 4 District 2 Titles and was a 4-time district coach of the year. In 1981, he coached Lake-Lehman to the PIAA Class AA State Championship. Two of his former high school stars were Rick and Rock Bonomo, who later achieved All-American honors at Bloomsburg.

Isn't there a wrestling tournament named in Shorty's honor? 

Here's a D3 guy beating a Yarygin bronze medalist and Olympian. Granted the Kazak may or may not be hungover, jetlagged, indifferent, etc., etc. But what did Arujau say? ZR had more numbers.

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6161576-125-kg-quarterfinal-zachery-roseberry-navy-marine-corps-rtc-vs-ibragimov-mamed-kazkhstan

Edit: Hell, for all I know, this might be a different Mamed Ibragimov

Edited by jackwebster

Muzaffar Abdurakhmanov was a 2x champ at Colby Community College in 2003 and 2004.  After transferring to American University in 2005 he had the #4 seed but had to forfeit out due to injury.  In 2006 he was the #3 seed at 165 and ended up taking 3rd.

His teammate Eric Luedke was a 2x national champ at Colby and a 2x AA after transferring to Iowa.

Edited by KCMO2
  • Bob 1
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Caveira said:

Wasn’t tj a 2x juco champ?   98-1 1,3 (I think).  Highest winning % ever at Iowa.  

think he was juco 2nd before going 1-3-1 at Iowa. 

Since the NCAA ended D2/D3/NAIA wrestlers from competing in the D1 tournament in the early 90s, here are the guys that I am tracking who have AA'd after transferring from a non-D1 & non-JUCO institution. 

• Christian Lance - Ft. Hays
  • Steve Fittery - Shippensburg
  • Bill Stouffer - Grand Valley State
  • Mo Lawal - Central Oklahoma
  • Jody Stritmatter - Johnstown
  • Tim Morrissey - Western Colorado
  • Donnell Rawls - Winston-Salem

• Bob 3
  • Brain 1
  • Fire 2

This is fascinating.  Although these athletes did not transfer to DI schools, they still placed in the DI tournament. For more on the subject go to: https://johnnythompsonnum1.blogspot.com/2017/08/division-ii-and-division-iii-wrestlers.html

The Following Division II Wrestlers Were Division I All Americans 
Pat Dorn (South Dakota State) Division II 134 lbs Champion = 8th Division I
R.J. Nebe (Nebraska-Omaha) Division II 177 lbs Champion = 6th Division I
Carlton Haselrig (Pittsburgh Johnstown) Division II Champion = Champion Division I

The Following Division III Wrestlers Were Division I All Americans
Peter Gonzalez (Montclair State) Division III 126 lbs Champion = 7th Division I
Karl Monaco (Montclair State) Division III 142 lbs Champion = 3rd Division I

2 hours ago, SocraTease said:

...and he was pinned in the PSAC championships the same year by Wade Schalles.  Schalles wasn't able to wrestle in NCAAs that year, so he moved up two weight classes to pin Shorty.

Edited by lu_alum
  • Bob 1

2 hours ago, cowcards said:

Since the NCAA ended D2/D3/NAIA wrestlers from competing in the D1 tournament in the early 90s, here are the guys that I am tracking who have AA'd after transferring from a non-D1 & non-JUCO institution. 

• Christian Lance - Ft. Hays
  • Steve Fittery - Shippensburg
  • Bill Stouffer - Grand Valley State
  • Mo Lawal - Central Oklahoma
  • Jody Stritmatter - Johnstown
  • Tim Morrissey - Western Colorado
  • Donnell Rawls - Winston-Salem

That's not many guys for 30 years, I'd have expected a lot more. Wow.