CMU's Tom Borrelli to retire.

With Borrelli's reputation and track record there, it just feels like this is Jason Borrelli's job to accept or decline.  Everyone else get in line.

Edited by PacMan

4 hours ago, PacMan said:

With Borrelli's reputation and track record there, it just feels like this is Jason Borrelli's job to accept or decline.  Everyone else get in line.

Well, I don't think he's coming to CMU and perhaps he isn't interested.  My money is on Jon Reader.

• Haha 1

It seems like everytime a big coaching job opens up, Cunningham's name is brought up and nothing comes of it. I just don't see him leaving PSU after all this time.  

• Bob 1

"Look good, feel good, wrestle good." - J Jaggers

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2024 at 4:44 PM, Greenwave said:

Reader???? Would set them back years.   If that’s the case stay with Bennet

They haven't been in the top 20 once in the past decade at NCAAs. They've had 4 all americans in that timeframe. Borelli was good in the late 90s and early 2000s but let's not pretend they've been anything close to good in a long long time. 

Tough but fair. 

A Reader hire might indicate something at Wisconsin. Can't imagine HC at CMU pays as much as AHC at a big 10 school. Getting let go from a big ten school could set his career back a few years. 

Bolyard, I think is a shoe in. Experience at a smaller MI school with some individual success. Given more resources, could be boone for CMU. Maybe reunite with Smith. 

Lets say that happens, who takes over at Bakersfield if/when Smith comes home? 

Great point, Reader is not the right hire.   Working at a Big Ten school does not make u a head coach, especially when the whole staff is looking at being canned.

Would Bolyard leave Michigan for CMU?   I agree that should be hire.  Smith is from Wisconsin, so he may want to get local.

Why are people ignoring Bennett?  He is legitimately the soul of that team.  Even if he isn't hired on he needs to be on staff, or they will go from perennial Top 3 MAC to bottom 3 for several seasons at least.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Just chiming in to say that Coach Borrelli is one heck of a coach.

There's always a couple programs that seem to have no business being discussed in the same paragraph as the PSUs, Iowas and Oklahoma States of the world, yet there they are, as they do so much with so little -- consistently taking mid-grade recruits and turning them into AAs.  

Little Rock is today's darling, but I'm thinking Northern Iowa under Schwab, or Edinboro under Flynn, or maybe American under Cody.  Teams inexplicably in trophy contention, or at least top 10, by force of coaching.

That's CMU.  Yes, they've lost some of their sheen over the last few years, but how many teams have been so good for so long, while working with so little, as Borrelli's teams the past 30 years?  Not many. 

• Bob 4

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Pyle said on FRL that he heard they did not reach out to Reader and that most likely it will be Bennett

I had a feeling that if Reader had gone he would get the blame and Bono would be safe another year (or two).

Here's to hoping it's only for another year now.

Guy is such a fckn turdbiscuit.

• Haha 1

NHS67

CMU is not going to hire Ben. They don't want to go the route of MSU. Casey and Bolyard would be the best hires but not sure if either would leave there current positions. 

Reader could be a good hire, in state recruiter could get a lot better.

4 hours ago, Dakota said:

NHS67

CMU is not going to hire Ben. They don't want to go the route of MSU. Casey and Bolyard would be the best hires but not sure if either would leave there current positions. 

Reader could be a good hire, in state recruiter could get a lot better.

What in the last six yesds of a dumpster fire at Wiscy makes you think Reader > Bennett.

Bennett is a CMU guy through and through.

Add to the fact that from what people are saying:  Reader hasn't applied and CMU hasn't reached out to him.  At least one kof those has to happen before he could possibly even be in consideration.

On 4/2/2024 at 2:24 PM, nhs67 said:

I had a feeling that if Reader had gone he would get the blame and Bono would be safe another year (or two).

Here's to hoping it's only for another year now.

Guy is such a fckn turdbiscuit.

If Wisconsin cans Bono, would Reader even be next in line?  Wouldn’t they want fresh blood?

I’m surprised he’s allegedly not interested in the CMU job.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

If Wisconsin cans Bono, would Reader even be next in line?  Wouldn’t they want fresh blood?

A - No.  I think a canning would require a fresh start (unless Reader assisted in said canning, but I doubt that would happen).

B - Just going off the various bbs and twitters and whatnot.  I am also surprised.

13 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Why would Reader leave being the AHC at a Big school to be the HC at a MAC school? I am not sure what he is getting paid at Wiscy, but I have a feeling that he has more resources there than he would at CMU. 

CMU and UB are in a tough spot as they have champagne tastes on a beer bottle budget. 

42 minutes ago, TexRef said:

Why would Reader leave being the AHC at a Big school to be the HC at a MAC school? I am not sure what he is getting paid at Wiscy, but I have a feeling that he has more resources there than he would at CMU. 

CMU and UB are in a tough spot as they have champagne tastes on a beer bottle budget. 

All else equal I would agree, but people don’t seem to be too thrilled with how Wisconsin is doing currently, which is why I would think Reader might be looking for a way out, and obviously this would be a step up in title.  Because of Wisconsin’s situation, I’m not sure if I’d say potentially going after an AHC of a mid-tier (at best) B10 team is considered a “champagne taste,” but no I have no idea the salary Reader makes vs what CMU is paying.  Honestly I’d think Borrelli probably made a pretty good salary considering how long he was there.

It’s certainly not that uncommon for AHC’s from top schools to be named HC’s at smaller ones.  Adam Hall being a recent example.  

• Bob 2

On 3/15/2024 at 11:55 AM, PacMan said:

Jason just signed a 4-year extension with American.  So he's probably out.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

All else equal I would agree, but people don’t seem to be too thrilled with how Wisconsin is doing currently, which is why I would think Reader might be looking for a way out, and obviously this would be a step up in title.  Because of Wisconsin’s situation, I’m not sure if I’d say potentially going after an AHC of a mid-tier (at best) B10 team is considered a “champagne taste,” but no I have no idea the salary Reader makes vs what CMU is paying.  Honestly I’d think Borrelli probably made a pretty good salary considering how long he was there.

It’s certainly not that uncommon for AHC’s from top schools to be named HC’s at smaller ones.  Adam Hall being a recent example.  

I agree that the situation doesn't seem great in Wisconsin, according to this board, other boards, and probably several coffee shops in Wisconsin. Are we really sold on the idea that coaches are looking at this or listening to the locals? As a coach, they have got to know that they are not going to please 100% of the people 100% of the time. There will always be some armchair quarterback with an opinion. 

I am well aware of AHC's from bigger schools taking HC jobs at smaller schools. I don't think Adam Hall is a good example, as he goes to a tougher conference, and a conference that MIGHT not implode in the next 24 hours lol 

2 hours ago, TexRef said:

I will raise you one further:  Why would a MAC school look at a failing school's AHC?

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, TexRef said:

I agree that the situation doesn't seem great in Wisconsin, according to this board, other boards, and probably several coffee shops in Wisconsin. Are we really sold on the idea that coaches are looking at this or listening to the locals? As a coach, they have got to know that they are not going to please 100% of the people 100% of the time. There will always be some armchair quarterback with an opinion. 

Well let’s see.

Their star just transferred out, I believe without even graduating.

They scored 24.5 points this year, and by my math only 1.5 of them are returning next year (Zargo).

The famous and outspoken coach of the best club in the state has publicly stated he doesn’t like Bono and seems to discourage guys from going there.

They’re not in a great spot currently by most objective metrics.

• Bob 1