I am done with "Glory be to..."

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

At least he translated this to wrestling, I’ll give that a pass.  

The Kerk one was super weird.  I said in the B10 thread he sounded like he was in a cult and Aaron Brooks is the leader.

I’m not crazy about them telling us about their religion either, but with how common it is among the top guys, clearly it’s working for them.

Didn't Brooks say something like how all other religions are fake last year? 

5 hours ago, Tripnsweep said:

If a wrestler was Hindu

.....this part...I'm not so sure about.  

7 hours ago, KennyEBHS said:

I am a PSU fan, but I am done with the PSU athletes trying to tell us about religion. And when they say that "none of this matters," then why are we watching?

Jeebus is a really good wrestling coach apparently.  All the best wrestlers are thanking him for their wrestling success.  Maybe they're onto something.  Cael-trained and Askren-trained wrestlers say "yeah nah, those guys are alright, but let me tell you about my man with holes in his hands"

I personally choose to believe that the mormons had it right, and that's why they made the Big Lebowski.  

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

.....this part...I'm not so sure about.  

Jeebus is a really good wrestling coach apparently.  All the best wrestlers are thanking him for their wrestling success.  Maybe they're onto something.  Cael-trained and Askren-trained wrestlers say "yeah nah, those guys are alright, but let me tell you about my man with holes in his hands"

I personally choose to believe that the mormons had it right, and that's why they made the Big Lebowski.  

Iowa's Alex Marinelli waits to wrestle Purdue's Jacob Morrissey at 165 pounds at the NCAA Wrestling Championships at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio on Thursday, March 15, 2018. Marinelli pinned Morrissey in 6:20.

Lot of false prophets in this thread. I skipped church knowing I'd get my heavenly dose of the Good Lord from my main man, Aaron Brooks.

Aaron, Moses' brother, was chosen to be the high priest, to minister in the name of the Lord, and to make atonement for the people. Aaron Brooks, on the other hand, was chosen by Cael to minister to wrestling fans, pick ankles, and give the devil a little hell of his own. The devil's name? Tom Brands.

• Haha 4

Brooks, et al remind me of Ariel Pink and his political musings: he writes some catchy tunes but Ludvig Von Mises he's not. . . and that's ok. It takes a long time to get good at one thing -- writing songs, beating up people, or whatever -- can't expect these folks to be experts on everything. 

It's like Brooks delivers a 7 minute phd-level treatise on how to humiliate another man in front of the dude's family and friends and then reverts to the cliches of 7-year-olds about mercy and how God-loves-the-little-children for his 30 second interview.

Edited by jackwebster

7 hours ago, MinnesotaMustang said:

Christians aren’t on here complaining when others give non-religious interviews. 

yea because if they did they would be outta here real quick. I just use the ignore feature when these guys vent their hatred. Soon I'll have no one else to interact with with so many on ignore...lol!

As a PSU fan myself I have a hard time listening to AB proselytize in every interview. Like yourself I want some insight into the match and with AB we almost never get that, we just get the religion stuff. I almost never even watch his interviews. 

10 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Daton Fix and Anthony Echemendia both saying "all glory to God".  

Honestly even if you're not religious - couldn't you view it as something similar to "this goes bigger than just me and my efforts - I'm grateful for all of the things that had to go in my favor to help make this possible".  If you view it as that sort of atheist translation, we can all move on and view it as a nice sentiment which is uncontroversial.

Glory to God! Now please subscribe to my OnlyFans and also ignore multiple allegations of domestic abuse!

• Pirate 1

11 hours ago, KennyEBHS said:

I believe religion is a private place for people. I want to hear about the match, not their religion.

that is your problem with all interviews today? Someone sharing their faith? Damn bud, go kick a dog or something, slap an elderly person....

• Fire 3

4 hours ago, Hurricane Wrestling said:

Iowa's Alex Marinelli waits to wrestle Purdue's Jacob Morrissey at 165 pounds at the NCAA Wrestling Championships at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio on Thursday, March 15, 2018. Marinelli pinned Morrissey in 6:20.

1 hour ago, Jim L said:

Whatever your religious beliefs are that is a weird T-shirt. 

It makes sense to me. Neither could get the job done at the big dance even though it was a three day affair 

• Fire 1
  • Haha 3

i am an idiot on the internet

5 hours ago, Tripnsweep said:

Didn't Brooks say something like how all other religions are fake last year? 

Yes, that kinda crossed the line.  But he had the right to say it.  The biggest problem with that was the NCAA wrestling Twitter account (it was still called twitter then @ionel) tweeted it out, even though they didn’t tweet out all the post match interviews.  That even drew the ire of the likes of Ariel Helwani

10 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

Sincerely,  I  don't care about their religious beliefs and don't want to hear about them.  And if someone gave all glory to satan, I think a lot of you would show your hypocrisy.

Agreed, and I’ve said this for years, before Aaron Brooks. I think I started as a tongue in cheek joke with baseball because you see so many guys hit a HR and point up to the sky when they cross the plate, but you never see them flipping the bird downward toward the dirt after striking out. 

I genuinely don’t care if people are religious or not but if God is good, and all credit and glory goes to him rather than the athletes themselves (or splitting the credit at least), well then it follows that all negative outcomes would go to Satan. And yet, I’m still waiting for someone to do that in a game. 

1 hour ago, JimmyCinnabon said:

As a PSU fan myself I have a hard time listening to AB proselytize in every interview. Like yourself I want some insight into the match and with AB we almost never get that, we just get the religion stuff. I almost never even watch his interviews. 

Also STRONG agree here. I was up front at NCAA’s last year waiting to chat with a buddy of mine, and this 45 year old man saw Brooks walking by and got his attention and complimented him and his match. Brooks went into “all glory to God” mode immediately, and the guy said something like “I agree, god is great, but you’re great too,” and Brooks just couldn’t take the complement.

I sat back and just watched. It was a solid two minute exchange and I swear it turned into the most odd argument/non-argument ever. Brooks must have replied to the last 4 or 5 things the guy said by saying “I’ll pray for you.”

But - and I could be mistaken because I was a bit in awe and a bit laughing in my head by then, but the guy was literally just trying to say, essentially, “you can give god all the glory but you should recognize your role in this too; god isn’t the one putting in the hours of training, so even if you’re doing it because you think it’s god’s plan for you, you’re still the one actually doing it.”

It was weird, man. Really, really strange. It was like the verbal equivalent of two people holding a pair of doors open for the other and both insisting “after you!,” except this one got to be all about God. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, 1032004 said:

The Kerk one was super weird.  I said in the B10 thread he sounded like he was in a cult and Aaron Brooks is the leader.

I’m not crazy about them telling us about their religion either, but with how common it is among the top guys, clearly it’s working for them.

I missed the b10s as had recorded and ff between matches.  Also my remote has a mute button. 

13 hours ago, NormMacDonald said:

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter.  I loved hearing their interviews. 

11 hours ago, headshuck said:

It is a little odd to see the movement from “we’re having fun” to “it doesn’t matter, you can’t take it with you.“

11 hours ago, jajensen09 said:

It absolutely matters or why the hell do you do it??

Now, Norm, I don’t mean any disrespect. But the other two posts resonate way more. For one, it may matter in the grand scheme of things - we just can’t know it right now. Maybe Brooks goes on to lead a mega church and this is where his exposure comes from, and without it he would never have had the audience. I doubt it, but it’s certainly possible. 

But Headshuck and Jensen resonate with me more, as I said. But that’s just me. I mean, Jensen said it damn near perfectly to me.

If it doesn’t matter, why are you doing it? There are hundreds of other guys in the nation that the wrestling absolutely matters to.

If Brooks feels that strongly that it doesn’t matter, why didn’t he step aside and give the spot to someone that has a reverence for wrestling the way he has it for God?

6 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Agree on all parts. Give praise to God, Yahweh, Mohammed, Buddha, Vishnu, Satan, whoever you want. But then transition to the substance. KOT did a great job. With the Oscars last night, a decent amount of that.

I am not at all religious (tough to pick up on, I know), but I know that tons of people are. I hate hearing about religion in speeches but I’m never going to get annoyed by someone praising whomever and then moving on from there. KOT, a well done example. 

Brooks… man, I wish he could give an interview where he doesn’t remind me of Billy Graham.

But, that’s just me. And I recognize that to each, their own. But seems like people would rather hear wrestling breakdowns… which is clearly shocking given that it’s a wrestling forum. 

The religious stuff doesn't bother me and it's not exclusive to PSU.

The "this doesn't matter" BS, we just want to compete is the BS that bothers me.  If it didn't matter they wouldn't open up the checkbook to bring in Nagau, Messenbrink, Truex from other programs or pay Star and Brooks to come back.  They would just let the backups who have been in the room compete if it didn't matter.  Let those guys get better, etc.  No, if you are not a high AA threat, you will be replaced...

It matters to them a lot, and that is okay.

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1
  • Fire 1

58 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Agreed, and I’ve said this for years, before Aaron Brooks. I think I started as a tongue in cheek joke with baseball because you see so many guys hit a HR and point up to the sky when they cross the plate, but you never see them flipping the bird downward toward the dirt after striking out. 

I genuinely don’t care if people are religious or not but if God is good, and all credit and glory goes to him rather than the athletes themselves (or splitting the credit at least), well then it follows that all negative outcomes would go to Satan. And yet, I’m still waiting for someone to do that in a game. 

Also STRONG agree here. I was up front at NCAA’s last year waiting to chat with a buddy of mine, and this 45 year old man saw Brooks walking by and got his attention and complimented him and his match. Brooks went into “all glory to God” mode immediately, and the guy said something like “I agree, god is great, but you’re great too,” and Brooks just couldn’t take the complement.

I sat back and just watched. It was a solid two minute exchange and I swear it turned into the most odd argument/non-argument ever. Brooks must have replied to the last 4 or 5 things the guy said by saying “I’ll pray for you.”

But - and I could be mistaken because I was a bit in awe and a bit laughing in my head by then, but the guy was literally just trying to say, essentially, “you can give god all the glory but you should recognize your role in this too; god isn’t the one putting in the hours of training, so even if you’re doing it because you think it’s god’s plan for you, you’re still the one actually doing it.”

It was weird, man. Really, really strange. It was like the verbal equivalent of two people holding a pair of doors open for the other and both insisting “after you!,” except this one got to be all about God. 

I’m buying front row tickets next year just to talk to Aaron. See if I can get him to sign my Jesus bobblehead. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, H82Lose said:

that is your problem with all interviews today? Someone sharing their faith? Damn bud, go kick a dog or something, slap an elderly person....

H82 - I wouldn’t recommend either but I would suggest just blocking the Godless. It may get a little lonely here but you’ll be ok. 

• Bob 1