Starocci vs Lewis all-star match (full video)

Jimmy Cinnabon

43 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Officially, no. But all Penn State fans take an oath to the belief that in 2018 Mark Hall lost the #1 seed to Zahid Valencia based on the all-star match.

Is it true the oath also required signing a contact that said fans would solicit at least 5 themat forum buddies to also complain for the next 5 years about how Hall got cheated in seeding meeting and thus denied his easy path to the final?  My understanding that Bob decided to make all continue to honor the contract on the new IM forum,  just one more year of this nonsense.  😉

• Fire 1

44 minutes ago, ionel said:

Is it true the oath also required signing a contact that said fans would solicit at least 5 themat forum buddies to also complain for the next 5 years about how Hall got cheated in seeding meeting and thus denied his easy path to the final?  My understanding that Bob decided to make all continue to honor the contract on the new IM forum,  just one more year of this nonsense.  😉

There was an NDA involved. I have already said too much.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 minutes ago, mspart said:

By the way, who won the championship that year?  I'm guessing Hall was seeded fairly correctly.

mspart

Seeds are not meant to be predictions or projections - same as rankings.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

10 minutes ago, mspart said:

Then why seed?

mspart

Seeding is to ensure that the wrestlers who have had better results, which often also means more results, are in order of expected finish.  That doesn't mean predict the finish, it means that their results are graded to be better.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

16 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Put another way, if you don't seed the wrestlers based on who you think the best wrestlers are...you could have #1 and #2 wrestle each other in the first round and #3 and #4 wrestle each other the first round and you are guaranteed that 1/2 of the top 4 are eliminated immediately.

Seeds are earned rather than rewarded. In that way they are more ranking than prediction. But rankings contain a degree of subjectivity (whether the Flo rankers want to admit it or not), so it can be hard to differentiate between a ranking and a prediction sometimes. An example, is quality wins. If two undefeated wrestlers do not wrestle the exact same schedule then some subjectivity comes into play to decide who is more deserving of the higher seed based on the quality of their wins. At the margin this is purely subjective and there is an element of a positive feedback loop. If wrestler A beats the #10 ranked wrestler and wrestler B beats the #11 ranked wrestler it is tempting to say wrestler A had a higher quality win, but who is to say that the original ranks were 100% accurate?

• Fire 1

Do we see a different strategy from Mekhi Lewis come NCAA's? At the last NCAA and in this match at the start of the 2nd period once Starocci gets to his feet Lewis gives up on the ride. At NCAA he started out looking to ride, but gave up pretty quickly, getting 10 or 11 seconds of RT at the start of the second and in this match he seems even less committed to the ride. 

On 12/9/2022 at 3:01 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

Do we see a different strategy from Mekhi Lewis come NCAA's? At the last NCAA and in this match at the start of the 2nd period once Starocci gets to his feet Lewis gives up on the ride. At NCAA he started out looking to ride, but gave up pretty quickly, getting 10 or 11 seconds of RT at the start of the second and in this match he seems even less committed to the ride. 

After watching mehki’s match tonight and his loss the labs, it looks like he’s attempting to be more offensive vs reattacks. He struggled to finish on labs but did better tonight vs mocco. He had two other shots that were almost TDs tonight. He’ll need to polish his finishes up to beat Carter. 

On 12/9/2022 at 3:01 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

Or could it be that Mekhi is just not a great rider?  He has awesome defense and reattacks, but I don't think he's really known for a being a hammer on top.