Here we go again....

So does this mean Nick Lee didn't qualify us the spot at 65kg? I literally just read an article for the Pan Am championships said it was qualified and now Flo saying it isn't qualified and now we are looking as last chance qualifier as our only hope? If so, who will be in Turkey at last chance that would stand in our way at placing top 3 at 65kg?

Can't believe Lee let up on the gas pedal like that against Gomez, just seems like he stopped wrestling after getting his lead...

Edited by Doublehalf

Was Dan Gable the last time the US was good at 65kg?

I am being entirely unsarcastic, I just don't have a good memory of who we sent at those weights over the years, but...I think the fact that I'm a pretty decent fan of the sport and I don't know who we sent at those weights likely says a lot.  

Could it in fact be that the gable formula of grind it to a pulp, while not great for ALL weight classes, is exactly what you need to do/who you need to be to be successful at 65kg?

39 minutes ago, Doublehalf said:

So does this mean Nick Lee didn't qualify us the spot at 65kg? I literally just read an article for the Pan Am championships said it was qualified and now Flo saying it isn't qualified and now we are looking as last chance qualifier as our only hope? If so, who will be in Turkey at last chance that would stand in our way at placing top 3 at 65kg?

Can't believe Lee let up on the gas pedal like that against Gomez, just seems like he stopped wrestling after getting his lead...

No, the US is not qualified for the Olympic Games at 65kg.  PSU 65kg guys don't have a good history at Pan Am OGQs.  Zain lost his lace and got decked in 2020 and now Nick Lee gets run for 16pts.

Edited by lu_alum

33 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

No, the US is not qualified for the Olympic Games at 65kg.  PSU 65kg guys don't have a good history at Pan Am OGQs.  Zain lost his lace and got decked in 2020 and now Nick Lee gets run for 16pts.

Maybe Gomez or Tobier (I assume) will pop a positive test before July. Kidding, but (speaking of PSU) IIRC that's how Molinaro punched his ticket to the Olympics 

19 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

I too am interested in knowing what the competition at the Last Chance is going to be like. I'm guessing there will at least be one "camo-russian" that is likely to present a challenge? Top 3 at Last Chance qualify for the Olympics, no?

Destribats will probably be there at 65

So how do you qualify at the last chance?  I thought you had to win, but someone here thought top 3.   So what is the real deal?

mspart

Edited by mspart

1 hour ago, wrestle87 said:

Was Dan Gable the last time the US was good at 65kg?

I am being entirely unsarcastic, I just don't have a good memory of who we sent at those weights over the years, but...I think the fact that I'm a pretty decent fan of the sport and I don't know who we sent at those weights likely says a lot.  

Could it in fact be that the gable formula of grind it to a pulp, while not great for ALL weight classes, is exactly what you need to do/who you need to be to be successful at 65kg?

Yianni won silver at 2022 Worlds.  He's our guy he just has this mental block when wrestling Nick Lee

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

1 hour ago, mspart said:

So how do you qualify at the last chance?  I thought you had to win, but someone here thought top 3.   So what is the real deal?

mspart

Top 3 qualify. Both finalists and the winner of repechage. Unfortunately the field will be extremely deep and odds will be against whoever wins 65kg trials to qualify. 

PNWfan

1 hour ago, PortaJohn said:

Yianni won silver at 2022 Worlds.  He's our guy he just has this mental block when wrestling Nick Lee

Don’t discount Alirez, clearly he is on the rise and he recently beat Aliyev. Zain could fit in too, though I am skeptical he will be able to make the cut and be his best self. 

PNWfan

4 minutes ago, mspart said:

Now it is a battle for our lightweights.   This is not good.   What are the rules for sending someone to the last chance?

mspart

it'll be whoever wins the spot at trials!