World cup Wrestling

jajensen09

I wrote that so you could see what you've written. 

My dudes, Zane Richards is a quiet hard-working fellow who has put in upwards of 10,000 hours to be able to beat Iran in the Finals of the World Cup. He's traveled to intensive weeks-long camps in Russia and Azerbaijan to understand freestyle in his bones. He has invested his life as a young man and now young adult in the sport.

Zane didn't punch anybody. He didn't flip the bird or pull down his pants.

He was also under a lot of pressure, probably more than anybody else on the team, I would guess. For example:

1. For at least a week, maybe longer, he knew that he'd be the first American to wrestle in the 2022 World Cup.

2. He knew that his first match would be against the World Bronze medalist from Mongolia. 

3. If the USA made it to the World Cup Finals, he would likely wrestle the Iranian Senior World Team member.

4. Iran beat America in the last two World Cup Finals where the teams met. 

5. If not for a beautiful arm post on the mat to avoid exposure and then an instantaneous chain-wrestled crotch lift for his own exposure, that Iranian heavyweight could've been celebrating an individual and team victory. 

So, letting off a little steam having accomplished the monumental tasks set out before him doesn't seem so out of the ordinary, right? In conclusion, please let me welcome a whole new crew of panty-waist jackovasaurs to my enemies list. 

• Fire 2

4 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

I wrote that so you could see what you've written. 

My dudes, Zane Richards is a quiet hard-working fellow who has put in upwards of 10,000 hours to be able to beat Iran in the Finals of the World Cup. He's traveled to intensive weeks-long camps in Russia and Azerbaijan to understand freestyle in his bones. He has invested his life as a young man and now young adult in the sport.

Zane didn't punch anybody. He didn't flip the bird or pull down his pants.

He was also under a lot of pressure, probably more than anybody else on the team, I would guess. For example:

1. For at least a week, maybe longer, he knew that he'd be the first American to wrestle in the 2022 World Cup.

2. He knew that his first match would be against the World Bronze medalist from Mongolia. 

3. If the USA made it to the World Cup Finals, he would likely wrestle the Iranian Senior World Team member.

4. Iran beat America in the last two World Cup Finals where the teams met. 

5. If not for a beautiful arm post on the mat to avoid exposure and then an instantaneous chain-wrestled crotch lift for his own exposure, that Iranian heavyweight could've been celebrating an individual and team victory. 

So, letting off a little steam having accomplished the monumental tasks set out before him doesn't seem so out of the ordinary, right? In conclusion, please let me welcome a whole new crew of panty-waist jackovasaurs to my enemies list. 

He should be proud of how he wrestled. I’m very impressed.  It is too bad he did what he did at the end.  

I expect even you could be turned off if he got up and grabbed his crotch in the direction of the Iranian team.  He didn’t do this.  But just getting across there are degrees of professionalism and class.  This hypothetical is far far to an extreme.  

We appear to differ on where to draw the line.

My expectation for our wrestlers, when competing against foreign competition, when wrestling fans from around the world have their eyes on you as a representative of the USA and your fellow US athletes, is apparently different than your expectations. 

• Fire 2

On 12/6/2022 at 1:20 PM, gimpeltf said:

When you posted that, I was wondering if it was the father that moved earlier on. And now a couple posts, yours and weehawken make me think more of that possibility.

1 minute ago, Dark Energy said:

He should be proud of how he wrestled. I’m very impressed.  It is too bad he did what he did at the end.  

I expect even you could be turned off if he got up and grabbed his crotch in the direction of the Iranian team.  He didn’t do this.  But just getting across there are degrees of professionalism and class.  This hypothetical is far far to an extreme.  

My expectation for our wrestlers, when competing against foreign competition, when wrestling fans from around the world have their eyes on you as a representative of the USA and your fellow US athletes, is apparently different than your expectations. 

I think you should expect that from 5 years old until they are done competing. 

Just now, nhs67 said:

Do you also disapprove of yelling out when you win a states championship in high school or NCAA championship in college?

I did not watch what ZR I did, so I have no clue.  The sport is passionate, and showing that by screaming, pointing at corner, running and hugging etc...all fair game.  My kid flipped his bands almost Bubba Jenkins style after a big win, I told him I would embarrass him if he ever acted like that again. That is just me, and I am old.....so folks can do whatever the hell they want, doesn't matter what I think. 

From all the great wrestling we had over the weekend and the World Cup title and the story behind Ukraine, it is embarrassing that someone is trying to get hung up on the negative energy that only he is projecting insofar as a guy sticking his tongue out in celebration on the highest team level of competition in the world.

Every win mattered and the wrestlers treated it as such.

Did Snyder getting that first stepout to go up 2-0 also warrant harsh criticism, since the Irani World Champion took injury time?

How about when JB lost?  The Irani there has beaten two multi-time world champs in the last couple of weeks, but him raising his hands in celebration is a no-no right?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

4 minutes ago, H82Lose said:

I did not watch what ZR I did, so I have no clue.  The sport is passionate, and showing that by screaming, pointing at corner, running and hugging etc...all fair game.  My kid flipped his bands almost Bubba Jenkins style after a big win, I told him I would embarrass him if he ever acted like that again. That is just me, and I am old.....so folks can do whatever the hell they want, doesn't matter what I think. 

It weren't directed at you.  It was generalized, but the only negative energy on it is from @Dark Energy- so there's that.

Also, I am 55 myself.  Still quite young, though. 😉

We should be celebrating not just the World Cup victory, but that we made it through with no injuries to our wrestlers, and that we had so many good wrestlers in one building - sharing stories and experiences and gifts.  It was a great weekend.  Even if we had lost it would have been a great weekend.

Edited by nhs67
  • Fire 1

23 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

From all the great wrestling we had over the weekend and the World Cup title and the story behind Ukraine, it is embarrassing that someone is trying to get hung up on the negative energy that only he is projecting insofar as a guy sticking his tongue out in celebration on the highest team level of competition in the world.

Every win mattered and the wrestlers treated it as such.

Did Snyder getting that first stepout to go up 2-0 also warrant harsh criticism, since the Irani World Champion took injury time?

How about when JB lost?  The Irani there has beaten two multi-time world champs in the last couple of weeks, but him raising his hands in celebration is a no-no right?

Ok.  Be ridiculous.  Your debate style is noted.  

There was a ton of great wrestling.  Amazing performances.  I agree.  I made several posts about the matches and many with excitement with the performances.  

I made one post about ZR and his tongue.   Another poster came on here and wrote a lengthy post about how my post was wrong.  And that I’m on an enemies list (LOL).  His opinion is fair.  I explained my position.  That is all.

Now you come on with ridiculous comparisons.  Who is trying to turn this into a dead horse beating and continue to discussion for far longer than it needs to?  You.  You are.

8 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

Ok.  Be ridiculous.  Your debate style is noted.  

There was a ton of great wrestling.  Amazing performances.  I agree.  I made several posts about the matches and many with excitement with the performances.  

I made one post about ZR and his tongue.   Another poster came on here and wrote a lengthy post about how my post was wrong.  And that I’m on an enemies list (LOL).  His opinion is fair.  I explained my position.  That is all.

Now you come on with ridiculous comparisons.  Who is trying to turn this into a dead horse beating and continue to discussion for far longer than it needs to?  You.  You are.

I mean... I am good if you are good.  You want to hate on a guy who has made this his life, that is fine.  I am simply telling you to relax, and you should.  I don't know why you should be on some sort of enemies list?  That is preposterous.  You're top notch - just off here.  We are all allowed to be off once in a while, we are human.  So long as we don't turn ourselves into DanTheMans or SparklingDragons or WestCoastDans.

I enjoyed all the wrestling and understood the emotions of all the wrestlers involved, not just the US ones.

Lil Yaz, for example?  His sportsmanship was commendable... I don't know if anybody aside for maybe JB on the US side could hold themselves as well as he did.  He did sort of put a show of disbelief, but he held a lot of what could have been bad in - even embracing Pantaleo afterwards.

It's disappointing that so much political negativity can be said about the US-Iran football world cup match leading up.  We didn't have any of that here.  It was great.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, Dark Energy said:

I didn't like the tongue and other antics at the end either....but nice win.  Was hoping to see Suriano wrestle that match, but it turned out well.

I don't hear anyone saying the tongue wag was a major infraction, just that it was over the line. And it was.  Not a big deal, but in a dual with a political rival where perceived disrespect can be magnified, athletes need to avoid stuff like that.

Overall I thought the sportsmanship was exceptional on both sides.  There were passionate celebrations, but not inappropriate. Some mildly flared tempers at 70kg and 97kg, but just normal chippiness and all outweighed by how respectful the competitors were to each other at the end of each match.  Not that competitors should feel obliged to hug it out at the end, but almost all matches ended with embrace and demonstrated respect.

Great dual to watch. 

• Fire 1

Well I thought Zane wrestled a great match and congrats to him on his win. I was also very impressed with Seth Gross. It seems like he’s really upped his game. Yianni, I think is in a little bit of a rough patch but I think he will break out of it at some point. Al Panteleo wrestled well, I do think that had he stayed on the gas a little more he wouldn’t have been in the situation he found himself in at the end of the bout. Jason Nolf has improved greatly, I think that trip he took to Russian with SnyderMan a couple of years ago helped him immensely. Jordan Burroughs is an all time great and I am not sure if he what the situation was but I am sure that he will be better the next time we see him. Zahid looked very good, but I think his conditioning needs a little bit more. I think that he could have closed his opponent out if his gas tank was a little better. Nate Jackson, nice job. I am beginning to think he might end up being the guy at 92 for us. SnyderMan is SnyderMan. His match was the big match of the night for me. And although it was controlled by him I would have liked to see a couple of more takedowns, but it was a tough match and a great win. Zillmer is a stud but he’s undersized. He is really going to need to get some size on him. Maybe he needs to hang out with SnyderMan in the weight room ( just kidding). 
Anyway great job at the WC for our men. 

• Fire 1

15 hours ago, Le duke said:

Masoumi is tiring!

I’d like to see Masoumi vs a big, athletic dude with a motor.

I think Gable beats him, and if Kerk survived the first period it might get interesting towards the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When was the last time Kerk wrestled freestyle?  Why is every thread turned into PSU/NLWC?

55 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

When was the last time Kerk wrestled freestyle?  Why is every thread turned into PSU/NLWC?

We are spoiled.  Even when we win it all at the absolute highest level we whing about what could have been had our better crop showed up.

I even said as much woth Suriano VS Richards.  Richards won, so I am grateful.

My two cents, FWIW, from the USA/Iran Title Match: 

57kg:  Zane looked real good.  Him and Nicky Pushups are going to continue to push Gilman, which only makes the USA better.  As far as his antics at the end... good on him.  My only concern was whether or not the Iranian opponent was going to move suddenly, running into Zane's bottom jaw, and then Zane biting through his tounge. 

61kg:  I love watching Gross wrestle.  His style, if you can call it that, is full of wackiness and mystery.  I never really truly know how his matches will go.  I think it baffles his opponents (most of the time), and when baffled, he techs.  The problem with his style is that he can give up points in a hurry too... regardless, great effort.  Fun to watch.

65kg:  Yianni.  He's "right there" with the #1 guy, once again.  It did appear to me that the Iranian opponent was able to push Yianni around the mat quite a bit.  I think they ended up grounded 5-6 times.   Regardless, I really like Yianni at the weight and think he has the tools to be competitive, and win, against the World's Elite. 

70kg:  PANTALEO!  I viewed Alec as a significant underdog against Yazdani.  Competitive?  Yes!  Controversial?  Yes!  But, Pantaleo wins!  Loved the effort, the emotion, the positioning. 

74kg:  Nolf looked good all weekend, but ran into a highly defensive wrestler, defensive enough to negate everything that Nolf was throwing at him.  Nolf is special, but he'll have to figure a few things out to rise to the top still. 

79kg:  Burroughs.  The shocker of the night.  I don't have much to say, other than predicting that Burroughs will take this rare "L" and turn it into motivation to win the 79kg World Championship in 2023. 

86Kg:  Zahid.  Oh my... his first two matches looked incredible.  The match against the Iranian started off the same way.  Similar to other posters, I do question his gas tank.  I think he puts so much pressure and so much energy into the first period that it zaps his tank and he ends up making potentially costly mistakes.  Still a great win, but potentially closer than it "could" have been.

92kg:  Jackson!  It's been really fun watching him grow since his NCAA days.  His positioning, strength, and freestyle IQ are all increasing.  I feel he simply continues to improve.  With Cox moving up to 97kg to battle it out with Snyderman, I do see a scenario where Jackson is our Team USA rep in 2023.  Would be interesting to see if Moore drops from 97kg to battle at 92kg.  If so, this could be a very entertaining Final X. 

97kg:  Snyder.  Unphased.  Focused.  Determined.  Self-Confident.  Committed.  These are words that come to mind when I saw Snyderman walk on the mat.  Against the reigning 2x WC at 92kg, they visually appeared to be of very similar size (with Snyder being slightly "thicker").  Snyder controlled the match, start to finish, and never (in my opinion) seemed to be out of "his" position.  He just keeps racking up win after win against the World's elites.  

125kg:  Zillmer.  Agreed with previous posters in that he is small.  A huge underdog in my opinion against Masoumi.  If he's committed to 125kg, then hitting the weight room with Snyderman wouldn't be a bad idea at all.  He has a tank.  He's fearless.  He's just undersized against the giants of the weight, YET COMPETITIVE.  

• Fire 2