Biggest Darkhorse's to make a run at NCAA's

Truzzcat

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

yeah, unseeded is always tough. Is that the 9ish seed, the 13ish seed, the 17ish seed? In his case they seeded to 12, but regardless going from unseeded to first is pretty damn impressive. Maybe the HOF needs to add a wing.

He came in with a losing record, he may have been the draw all the seeded guys wanted.  

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

Yeah... and what does "make noise" at the NCAA mean? Darkhorse means a finish way above your ranking.

i should admit that my operating definition of dark horse is someone who places in the top 3 that i personally never would have picked to place so high...and thats not a very fair metric...I noticed when @headshuck picked salazar, and i thought "oh thats solid", then he pointed out that salazar is top 5 which, which I didn't know...

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

56 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Dark Horse HOF

Wyatt "Chip and a Chair" Sheets - After an injury riddled season, comes in as the 33 seed at 157 in 2021 only after another wrestler had to withdraw (he was essentially the 34 seed), and takes 8th for a 25 slot improvement.

Yahya "Yeah Yeah" Thomas - Also in 2021, Thomas entered 149 as the 25 seed after a shaky B1G tournie, only to catch a heater and finish 3rd for a 22 slot jump.

Killian "So Nice I Will Do It Twice" Cardinale - There was something in the water in 2021. Cardinale entered that tournament as the 17 seed, but rallied to finish 7th at 125. Then, 2023 Cardinale told 2021 Cardinale to hold his beer. After having to take a med forfeit and an inj default at the ACC tournie, he snuck in as the 28 seed, before making the podium in 8th place.

Great list but 2015 Zeke Moisey tops all of these

• Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

7 minutes ago, KLCarnegieTech_1969 said:

Cole Matthews

David Beard

Caleb Henson (maybe not a dark horse)

Bastida Yonger

Im assuming you meant Michael Beard?  But none of those guys are dark horses

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Fire 1

I hope the arguing about the definition of "darkhorse" keeps going....

What was the 125 lb kid from VT last year that had a super low seed and finished high on the podium...I guess I could go look it up...lol

Edit:  Eddie Ventresca - Finished 7th as a 27 seed

Edited by Bigbrog
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

I hope the arguing about the definition of "darkhorse" keeps going....

What was the 125 lb kid from VT last year that had a super low seed and finished high on the podium...I guess I could go look it up...lol

Ventresca 27 to 7

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 minute ago, KLCarnegieTech_1969 said:

Yes Michael Beard.  And, why are they not dark horses?

I'm honestly not trying to come off as arrogant but I really don't think this needs to be explained

• Fire 1

14 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Great list but 2015 Zeke Moisey tops all of these

Damn right - first unseeded wrestler to make the NCAA finals since 2003.

This is why, for me as a fan - stats at this point mean squat. I’ll never forget the excitement behind his run through the bracket. 

Edited by Rassling

Just now, Rassling said:

Damn right - first unseeded wrestler to make the NCAA finals since 2003.

This is why, for me as a fan - stats at this point mean squat. I’ll never forget the excitement behind his run through the bracket. 

• First unseeded wrestler to make the NCAA finals since 2003

But you quoted a stat to make the case for why it is exciting.

• Fire 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

29 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

How is Meyer Shapiro a dark horse when nobody will be shocked if he makes finals?

and people were picking him to win it before the season started....that toothpaste doesn't go back in the tube.

• Fire 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

37 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

How is Meyer Shapiro a dark horse when nobody will be shocked if he makes finals?

7 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

and people were picking him to win it before the season started....that toothpaste doesn't go back in the tube.

One poster listed him.  Let's all calm down.  No one else thinks he's a dark horse

edit... ok I saw two posters mention him.  Now I'm worried of an impending apocalypse.  @Hammerlock3 do your thing.  Argue these two posters into oblivion.  It's our only chance for survival 

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Fire 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Dark Horse HOF

Wyatt "Chip and a Chair" Sheets - After an injury riddled season, comes in as the 33 seed at 157 in 2021 only after another wrestler had to withdraw (he was essentially the 34 seed), and takes 8th for a 25 slot improvement.

Yahya "Yeah Yeah" Thomas - Also in 2021, Thomas entered 149 as the 25 seed after a shaky B1G tournie, only to catch a heater and finish 3rd for a 22 slot jump.

Killian "So Nice I Will Do It Twice" Cardinale - There was something in the water in 2021. Cardinale entered that tournament as the 17 seed, but rallied to finish 7th at 125. Then, 2023 Cardinale told 2021 Cardinale to hold his beer. After having to take a med forfeit and an inj default at the ACC tournie, he snuck in as the 28 seed, before making the podium in 8th place.

West Virginia is in the Big12, but I wouldn’t expect you to know this.