JB: VI - WTF?

Just watched the JB: VI Flo Film.  Kinda pissed that that Flo ambushed JB at the beginning by not telling him (giving him time to prepare) that they were planning to bring Dake on to the podcast. Love Dake, and love JB, but that was really sh*tty of Flo to not give JB a heads up.

Is this typical of Flo? Legit question, as I have subscribed to them for many years to watch films and live wrestling, but have not watched any FRL.  Of course I read the feedback here about Pyles and others, but never watched any of their opinion podcasts.

Is there an opportunity for someone to replace them in interviews, opinion pieces, etc., and still provide the wrestling community with access to these athletes and their feedback without blindsiding them and treating them with respect?

• Fire 3

4 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

From what we know publicly, that was an Askren special with the help of a producer.  Pyles allegedly knew nothing about it, which I believe based on his reaction. 

Askren tried to explain his rationale in that 1000th episode.  It didn't make sense to me because it wasn't consistent.  Shame Pyle couldn't put a stop to it 🙂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The_KC_Godfather said:

Just watched the JB: VI Flo Film.  Kinda pissed that that Flo ambushed JB at the beginning by not telling him (giving him time to prepare) that they were planning to bring Dake on to the podcast. Love Dake, and love JB, but that was really sh*tty of Flo to not give JB a heads up.

Is this typical of Flo? Legit question, as I have subscribed to them for many years to watch films and live wrestling, but have not watched any FRL.  Of course I read the feedback here about Pyles and others, but never watched any of their opinion podcasts.

Is there an opportunity for someone to replace them in interviews, opinion pieces, etc., and still provide the wrestling community with access to these athletes and their feedback without blindsiding them and treating them with respect?

I’m pretty sure back whenever this was, they were both working on some “brand building” shall we say.  JB did a good job looking offended and acting outraged, but they both new what was up, they were drawing eyeballs for their match.

But to answer your question, yes that is exactly what Flo does every chance they have an opportunity.  It is exactly the reason for the amount of derision they get on here from everyone.  

Is a flo stream guaranteed to work? Not at all.  Is it guaranteed to have gossipy inflammatory commentary about who said what when rather than about actual wrestling?  100%.

22 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

From what we know publicly, that was an Askren special with the help of a producer.  Pyles allegedly knew nothing about it, which I believe based on his reaction. 

Wow.  Askren seemed to try to shut it down quick, although that could have been a ploy.  To be honest, I didn't look at Pyles' face when Dake showed up...only listened.  Likely need to watch it again...

19 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

I’m pretty sure back whenever this was, they were both working on some “brand building” shall we say.  JB did a good job looking offended and acting outraged, but they both new what was up, they were drawing eyeballs for their match.

But to answer your question, yes that is exactly what Flo does every chance they have an opportunity.  It is exactly the reason for the amount of derision they get on here from everyone.  

Is a flo stream guaranteed to work? Not at all.  Is it guaranteed to have gossipy inflammatory commentary about who said what when rather than about actual wrestling?  100%.

The only reason I thought it was legit was because JB had his kid with him on camera, which, I would assume if you're playing into something/acting, you wouldn't do. I may be wrong on that, though.

Problem with Flo is that they have built up the relationships to get the media rights. I wonder if there is a market for the "opinion" and podcast part outside of Flo. Pyles is clearly lacking in that area, and from what I've seen, the other guys that contribute (besides legit wrestlers like Askren) are worthless.  I could be wrong, though...

• Fire 2

4 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Askren tried to explain his rationale in that 1000th episode.  It didn't make sense to me because it wasn't consistent.  Shame Pyle couldn't put a stop to it 🙂

Yeah and on the 1000th episode Pyle also reiterated how mad he was at Askren for doing that. I’m confident Pyle was not in on it

5 hours ago, The_KC_Godfather said:

The only reason I thought it was legit was because JB had his kid with him on camera, which, I would assume if you're playing into something/acting, you wouldn't do. I may be wrong on that, though.

Problem with Flo is that they have built up the relationships to get the media rights. I wonder if there is a market for the "opinion" and podcast part outside of Flo. Pyles is clearly lacking in that area, and from what I've seen, the other guys that contribute (besides legit wrestlers like Askren) are worthless.  I could be wrong, though...

one of the things I'll never forget nor forgive is the PIAA here in Pennsylvania selling the televised rights (which were free to the local public) to the AA & AAA state wrestling championships.  Our old timers enjoyed watching these events for FREE for decades on PCN and now its gone.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, Rassling said:

one of the things I'll never forget nor forgive is the PIAA here in Pennsylvania selling the televised rights (which were free to the local public) to the AA & AAA state wrestling championships.  Our old timers enjoyed watching these events for FREE for decades on PCN and now its gone.

Good or bad depending on how you look at it, Flo now streams every match wrestled at the PIAA championships including state duals. This has shown to have impacted the attendance numbers for the tournament itself. Still, I would put a good amount of money into that the overall viewership is much higher than it was when PCN only showed the finals and was only available to Pennsylvania natives. 

6 minutes ago, JVStateChamp said:

Good or bad depending on how you look at it, Flo now streams every match wrestled at the PIAA championships including state duals. This has shown to have impacted the attendance numbers for the tournament itself. Still, I would put a good amount of money into that the overall viewership is much higher than it was when PCN only showed the finals and was only available to Pennsylvania natives. 

this is a good point 

41 minutes ago, JVStateChamp said:

It's almost like flo could have still let them have it free locally then right? But they didnt.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Rassling said:

Was it free or only free if you had cable?

56 minutes ago, forkemaz said:

It's almost like flo could have still let them have it free locally then right? But they didnt.

Flo is a business, if PCN wanted to maintain the streaming rights they could have purchased them instead of Flo. PCN did the bare minimum to show just the state finals. PCN also is only free with a cable provider, if not then a viewer could sign up for a PCN Select subscription. Paying for a Flo membership for Grandparents, Family, or friends is a heck of a lot easier and cheaper than going to Hershey paying for food, tickets, and hotels. Love it or hate it, Flo provides the ability for people from all over the country to stream any match they choose to watch, PCN only streamed the championship finals. 

1 hour ago, JVStateChamp said:

I do not care what Flo does with it. It was taken from our seniors who are family to these superstars and many do not have a computer and why the hell should they pay for it when it was for free. Sorry but I am one who is not all about money like some.

16 minutes ago, Rassling said:

I do not care what Flo does with it. It was taken from our seniors who are family to these superstars and many do not have a computer and why the hell should they pay for it when it was for free. Sorry but I am one who is not all about money like some.

Your complaint is with PIAA, not Flo. PIAA sold the rights. They did not have to, they chose to.

• Fire 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

20 minutes ago, Rassling said:

If you are a grandparent of someone that is in the 3rd/4th match, or 5th/6th match you're all out of luck because PCN will not show any of their matches. 

PCN did a disservice to the amount of talent and depth that the PIAA championships have by only showing the finals. Going back in time before states seeded the top four district champions, PCN would miss matches like Sasso/Pletcher or Kemmerer/Hidlay which happened in the quarters. So seniors were missing a lot of superstars because PCN did not provide proper coverage. 

2 hours ago, JVStateChamp said:

Flo is a business, if PCN wanted to maintain the streaming rights they could have purchased them instead of Flo. PCN did the bare minimum to show just the state finals. PCN also is only free with a cable provider, if not then a viewer could sign up for a PCN Select subscription. Paying for a Flo membership for Grandparents, Family, or friends is a heck of a lot easier and cheaper than going to Hershey paying for food, tickets, and hotels. Love it or hate it, Flo provides the ability for people from all over the country to stream any match they choose to watch, PCN only streamed the championship finals. 

Like you said they expanded the market right? They didn't make enough? They preach all this grow wrestling and they don't share or play nice. They sued a former employee and tried to ruin his lively hood they're trashy business people, not good faith wrestling folks. And that's fine but let's ALL stop pretending.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Your complaint is with PIAA, not Flo. PIAA sold the rights. They did not have to, they chose to.

And Flo chooses not to share. It's all relative. They do not have to.  But if it was on free TV and they pulled it off that's not a good look.

• Fire 1

Absolutely which is why I drove to their headquarters to ask why this happened. 

As it relates to this issue, I could care less what any of you have to say. This upset our seniors and they don’t give a crap about this round and that round. 

My complaint is in general and I’ll leave it up to you number crunchers to figure out the rest. I’m with the seniors regardless who made the decision and why.