Bono NEEDS to go

No skin in the game, but if you are happy with these results your ok with mediocracy, and that is fine

-8th in Big Ten, way
-Tied for 12th for worst placement vs. seed differential (Its under Stats in trackwrestling). 
-Mechler 14th seed, placing somewhere around 11-13th was the best of the weekend.  Otherwise not one wrestler ended up placing higher then their seed with Maylor only the one that placed at seed of those expected to place.

-Everyone other lower tier team had one or in most cases multiple wrestlers upsetting higher seeds, surprise entrants to NCAA's, etc.

UW loses 3 of their 5 qualifiers after this season. 

• Bob 1

One of the trends on the Wisconsin wrestling forum is praise for the Wisconsin gents on the team… really probably having the opposite effect the poster wanted. Can anyone tell me how Messenbrink, O’Toole, and Keckeisen did over the weekend? 😂  

Edited by wrestlingfanforlife
  • Bob 1

5 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

Only real bright spot is the recruiting class coming in... BUT, Bono wearing out his welcome after 2-4 years isn't exactly surprising anymore...

shed some light please, who in that recruiting class moves the needle?

Dillan Johnson won't step on the mat until January, Football is his priority. 

9 hours ago, HungusMungus said:

I remember seeing some other highly ranked recruits. And I’m not a Bono fan either. I said it’s the only bright spot. He’ll probably move on sooner than later. It’s his mo 

9 hours ago, HungusMungus said:

If he is successful on the football field as a freshman, will Badger fans ever see him in a singlet?

1 minute ago, wrestlingfanforlife said:

If he is successful on the football field as a freshman, will Badger fans ever see him in a singlet?

Blueprint is there with The heavyweights at Nebraska and Iowa so I’d say yes. 

5 hours ago, Tbadg said:

Is there any new news of if bono will be fired after ncaa’s?

Well finishing 8th at B1Gs is probably equivalent to top 15 at NCAAs which would place Wisconsin wrestling solidly as

oNe oF  ThEiR bEsT sPoRts pRoGraMs

Seriously. Stop asking for it Wiscy fans or you might get what you want and the monkey's paw will curl very tight.

i am an idiot on the internet

14 hours ago, Tbadg said:

Is there any new news of if bono will be fired after ncaa’s?

He will have a kid every few years that will have some success and that will keep him at Wiscy. I think it is similar to what happened at Michigan State and Tom Minkel. He was there waaaay tooo long. Good luck Wiscy fans.  

On 2/23/2024 at 3:31 PM, bnwtwg said:

Who are those people beating? I appreciate the homerism but you are talking about very good wrestlers like these were random upset and this deserves a deeper dive.

Steiber got hurt and additionally had unfair expectations based on his name. He was a lot more Eli than Peyton ya know?

Moore choked exactly one tourney "down" to 4th place (frosh made semis/took 3rd with Cox winning the bracket, Nickal, and covid)

Tomasello overachieved his frosh year if anything. And he can always hang his hat on beating Spencer Lee at B1Gs.

Sasso wasn't ever beating AOC or Yianni

McKenna lost to Meredith who lost to the champ then DNP, transferred to tOSU and lost to Meredith in the semis again then lost to Yianni

I do think the OSU dudes underperformed aside from Logan. Funny thing is, Tom Ryan literally didn't recruit him, he was going to OSU regardless of who the coach was because he was a Buckeye born and bred. 

I don't think Tomasello overachieved, he was a monster coming in and stayed about at the same level he came in at. 

As far as Sasso never beating AOC, idk about that one. He was literally winning until like 45 seconds left, gave up the takedown, and almost got a final TD to win it at the buzzer. He blew that one. Speaks to the previous comment of these guys not having the clutch gene. 

On 3/1/2024 at 11:16 PM, tbert said:

2.5 X    what Davis was making

DAMN, okay that should come with big expectations then.

As far as the other comments on Bono, I think it's more of a factor of Askren holding a grudge and taking over (and elevating) the state, rather than Bono not performing. I really don't know how he can get out of that hole, or if anybody else coming in would be able to mend it. I'm interested to hear if any insiders have information on that. 

On 3/11/2024 at 1:45 PM, CircleofTruth said:

Interesting thread so far. From a different Wisco perspective than most on here, a few things. 1. Bono and his assistants have been the most visible Badger Coaches that I'm aware of in any sport. They attend dual meets, Conf tournaments, Regionals, Sectionals. They are quick to reply if you have a question or a need. 

Let's remember a few things, 1. Badger Wrestling has a very unimpressive wrestling room. Most D3 colleges have better digs. It's a factor no matter what your opinion is. 2. Askrens are Mizzou Alum. It's simply insane to think that they are going to begin whole heartedly supporting and pushing for Badger wrestling.  3. Almost immediately upon his arrival, Bono reached out to Ben and offered him the RTC coaching position. I'd say that was a pretty huge olive branch. Egos and opinions of Ben's MMA training and time spent at AWA sites were bigger than the wrestling room. It didn't work out.  I know that Bono and assistants have traveled to AWA training sights, and have certainly done what they can to repair the riff, but let's face it, there's zero need or reason for Askrens to support anything UW. So unless they are getting $$, it's nothing to them for the Badger program to go down the toilet and another coach to come in. Who would think otherwise? That would be like me having a great relationship and ties to my college program, and then pushing my kids somewhere else, why would I do that? 

Let's look at our neighbor MN. Sam Stol, Patrick Kennedy, Brock Berge, all from Kasson-Mantorville high school all went to Iowa instead of MN. Why? My guess is in large part that their coach wrestled at Iowa and absolutely has no interest in helping the Gophers, and has direct ties with Iowa. Additionally two other Berge's (from K-M), Hall, Glazier, all left the state.  Saying that Eggum can't develop talent and that's why those guys left would be dumber than 10 dumb things.  Are MN fans peeved that they haven't been in the trophy hunt since J.Rob had teams stacked with MN and N.D. kids? Yeah, but is that Eggum's fault? Not entirely. Had K-M's head coach not been fired for recruiting violations, and his assistant, who wrestled at Iowa took over, then it may have been likely that five K-M guys go to the Gophers, and that might have kept Hall, and then MN is a top tier program which maybe keeps Glazier and perhaps Kirkvliet.  

I think that the bottom line is the people calling for Bono to leave are simply AWA disciples. They dream of Ben being the Badgers coach, which, I highly doubt he would ever be interested in doing. Why give up the freedom to do what he is doing? Why take the chance of failure? Why have to follow NCAA rules, guidelines and scheduling? He's a club coach with no interest in UW. I don't see that changing. 

Askren said when the job was open that it’s the only head coaching job he’d be interested in , I’m sure you can go to flo and find the videos if you look hard enough but he said it multiple times and interviewed for the job but they chose Bono