Missouri vs Okie State 1pm CST

2 hours ago, alex1fly said:

OSU dual threads illuminate to me that I’m probably one of two Cowboy fans on this board, lol

Will watch the dual tonight… sounds like the Cowboys came to wrestle. We’ll see how they do come tournament time.

52 minutes ago, DPJ said:

I'm one,I just don't post that often. Pokes looked great today, young guns are starting to come on. 

They looked about as good as I can remember seeing an Okie State team look in a long time. 

Around this time of year from most years I can remember, they would typically be wrapped in miles of athletic tape, and would just be muscling through to some token 7th/8th matches for most of the best guys, with a Fix high AA here or there.

That is not what they looked like today.  If they keep it together like they showed up today, they can pose some real problems for a lot of people.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, wrestle87 said:

They looked about as good as I can remember seeing an Okie State team look in a long time. 

Around this time of year from most years I can remember, they would typically be wrapped in miles of athletic tape, and would just be muscling through to some token 7th/8th matches for most of the best guys, with a Fix high AA here or there.

That is not what they looked like today.  If they keep it together like they showed up today, they can pose some real problems for a lot of people.

I can’t speak for Okie States other duals but in this one it really felt like Missouri didn’t come to wrestle, rather thank Oklahoma being light out. 

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

I can’t speak for Okie States other duals but in this one it really felt like Missouri didn’t come to wrestle, rather thank Oklahoma being light out. 

Good teams make teams look bad.  This OSU team appears to be good.  From the outside I'd guess Coleman Scott has made a difference.

• Fire 5

2 hours ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Ut Mizzu was at home and just had the single dual weekend not the Fri/Sun like OSU correct?

BTW were you or anyone able to post the meet on YouTube?

2 hours ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

If I only saw this one, I’d agree 100%, and I do think Missouri was straight flat soda today, but something good has happened to the okie state attitude this season, I think it is entirely due to coleman scott.  Him showing up has somehow changed the chemistry in that room.  Olejnik has been jiving with coleman’s techniques, and has had crazy swagger all year, and it's rubbed off on Plott and is starting to show on the other guys.  They are starting to have expectations for themselves in a good way.  The way they wrestle kinda reminds me of old iowa teams in a way.

7 minutes ago, ionel said:

Ut Mizzu was at home and just had the single dual weekend not the Fri/Sun like OSU correct?

BTW were you or anyone able to post the meet on YouTube?

Mizzou has zero excuses for laying this egg.  At home with record crowd of 6000 plus.  Oklahoma State wrestled Friday and had to travel.  I was there and Mizzou got out coached and out toughed.  I don't know what to expect from this team right now.  Lost all the close battles and got embarrassed on their feet with a total of 2 takedowns.  Mizzou coaches and bench looked like they were at a funeral.  Okie bench was vocal and animated instructing and firing up their kids and it was indicative of the final score.  If things don't change, it's going to be a long cold bus ride from Aims, Iowa

• Fire 1

34 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

If I only saw this one, I’d agree 100%, and I do think Missouri was straight flat soda today, but something good has happened to the okie state attitude this season, I think it is entirely due to coleman scott.  Him showing up has somehow changed the chemistry in that room.  Olejnik has been jiving with coleman’s techniques, and has had crazy swagger all year, and it's rubbed off on Plott and is starting to show on the other guys.  They are starting to have expectations for themselves in a good way.  The way they wrestle kinda reminds me of old iowa teams in a way.

This ^^^  and Ferrari was a cancer in the room, took a bit to shake that off.  

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Gut feeling tells me Mizzou won’t win the B12 tournament this year. 

Not unless Askren can mind-hack the team for his coach.  I have a sneaking suspicion he’s a behind the scenes cornerstone to the long term success of that program.

• Confused 1

Ok Sate has looked really good the last month. Bringing in Coleman Scott seems to have injected life into the program.  The Iowa match-up will be good. The fight for 2nd-3rd trophies will be a good one. 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

6 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

Not unless Askren can mind-hack the team for his coach.  I have a sneaking suspicion he’s a behind the scenes cornerstone to the long term success of that program.

He needs to get more of his guys to go there for school then. 

9 hours ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Gut feeling tells me Mizzou won’t win the B12 tournament this year. 

The Mizzou team I saw yesterday is not winning the Big 12 wrestling tournament.  There is still time to "right the ship" and also get the line up healthy,  but there are some glaring weaknesses on this team right now, including lack of offensive attacks on the feet.  Of course, the coaches can teach and drill but wrestlers have to do their share in adapting and tweaking their techniques.  The lack of fire is what I'm more concerned about.  The close losses suffered yesterday certainly could have gone the other way, and may do so in the Big 12 tournament.  Give some credit to Oklahoma State for being motivated and ready to wrestle.  "Steel sharpens steel!"  Now we can see how the Mizzou coaching staff adjusts to preparing this team for the final haul.  This is the most exciting time of the year wrestling fans.

Man, we (OSU) look like a bunch of bruisers out there. Quite different look than the last couple of post-Ferrari stress syndrome years. It's so awesome to see! 

Missouri did have some head scratchers. No backup at 133, sent out a backup at 149, at 125 they lost their brick and their guy got two stall calls within the first two minutes, and Mauller took basically zero shots. I"m used to seeing Mauller well, maul people. And also the refs... my goodness. What are they doing out there? I've never felt more consistently confused than this season about stall calls, stalemate calls, when they award takedowns/escapes, and edge of mat violations.

Edited by alex1fly

23 minutes ago, alex1fly said:

Man, we (OSU) look like a bunch of bruisers out there. Quite different look than the last couple of post-Ferrari stress syndrome years. It's so awesome to see! 

Missouri did have some head scratchers. No backup at 133, sent out a backup at 149, at 125 they lost their brick and their guy got two stall calls within the first two minutes, and Mauller took basically zero shots. I"m used to seeing Mauller well, maul people. And also the refs... my goodness. What are they doing out there? I've never felt more consistently confused than this season about stall calls, stalemate calls, when they award takedowns/escapes, and edge of mat violations.

Mizzou backups were at an open on Saturday and didn't have anyone at 133 for the dual. Gioffre supposedly got hurt in warmups, hence the backup at 149. Overall, not a great performance by Mizzou. Also, have to give credit where credit is due, and the Cowboys went out there and made Mizzou look as bad as they did.

33 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Oklahoma St looks like a team that expects to win this year.  Last year they looked like Mizzou did yesterday. 

So why is that?  Could it be the addition of Coleman Scott and new "fire in the belly" and new tweaks on technique?  Better recruiting?  Better development of their frosh, underclassmen.  Mizzou looks like they are dealing with some HEW disease with some of the Covid year upperclassmen.  I can't speak to the lineup decisions and why there wasn't another option at 133.  I do know that Nate Pulliam had some success at 149 when he started and wonder where he is in the hierarchy at 149.  In reference to my own question about why Okie State has trended up, word is Coleman Scott was brought in to eventually take the reigns from the legendary John Smith.  He certainly seems to have "filled the bill" from what I see.  If Mizzou is going to hold position in the D1 hierarchy of wrestling, it may be time to do the same in Columbia, Missouri.  I realize the Oklahoma State, being a wrestling "blue blood", probably gets a bit more pressure to win and have deeper alumni pockets.  I guess it comes down to whether Mizzou wrestling wants to take it to the next level, or be happy sitting in the top 10 every year and the continued ethos of Tiger Style.  The next question would be who, and I don't think there is anyone on this current staff that can motivate to that level.  Just my very biased opinion.

Edited by MidwestMan

12 minutes ago, Griff the BullRam said:

Mizzou backups were at an open on Saturday and didn't have anyone at 133 for the dual. Gioffre supposedly got hurt in warmups, hence the backup at 149. Overall, not a great performance by Mizzou. Also, have to give credit where credit is due, and the Cowboys went out there and made Mizzou look as bad as they did.

Really?  It's senior day and your wrestling Oklahoma State and promoting the event, encouraging Tiger wrestling fans to pack the arena and set a new attendance record, and Mizzou has a zero back up plan for lineup?  Either dual wins are not important or this is a red flag for the coaching staff.  Oklahoma State seems to have had a plan.  Put a back up on the mat and took a forfeit at 133 and moved Fix up for some insurance.  Mizzou got gamed and yes, they did make them look as bad as they did.  

12 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

45 minutes ago, MidwestMan said:

So why is that?  Could it be the addition of Coleman Scott and new "fire in the belly" and new tweaks on technique?  Better recruiting?  Better development of their frosh, underclassmen.  Mizzou looks like they are dealing with some HEW disease with some of the Covid year upperclassmen.  I can't speak to the lineup decisions and why there wasn't another option at 133.  I do know that Nate Pulliam had some success at 149 when he started and wonder where he is in the hierarchy at 149.  In reference to my own question about why Okie State has trended up, word is Coleman Scott was brought in to eventually take the reigns from the legendary John Smith.  He certainly seems to have "filled the bill" from what I see.  If Mizzou is going to hold position in the D1 hierarchy of wrestling, it may be time to do the same in Columbia, Missouri.  I realize the Oklahoma State, being a wrestling "blue blood", probably gets a bit more pressure to win and have deeper alumni pockets.  I guess it comes down to whether Mizzou wrestling wants to take it to the next level, or be happy sitting in the top 10 every year and the continued ethos of Tiger Style.  The next question would be who, and I don't think there is anyone on this current staff that can motivate to that level.  Just my very biased opinion.

From someone who was there, not a fan of either team, just a wrestling junkie. I like watching the "ins and outs" and minor 'behind the scenes' details. Coleman Scott had a notepad and pen and took notes the whole dual. Every match, he was writing things down. I'm not sure if he was writing down notes for things the OSU guys needed to work on, or scouting notes on Mizzou guys for future matches, I'm sure a combination of both. Regardless, my point is, I think the guy pays EXTREMELY close attention to detail. The kind of detail you see from someone who has a been a HC at a program that he had to work to 'rebuild' (I use that term loosely because UNC is a power 5 school). But regardless, you can tell this guy was an Olympic Bronze medalist by the attention to detail. Cowboys are in good hands with him being the future.

• Fire 3

1 hour ago, Winners Circle said:

From someone who was there, not a fan of either team, just a wrestling junkie. I like watching the "ins and outs" and minor 'behind the scenes' details. Coleman Scott had a notepad and pen and took notes the whole dual. Every match, he was writing things down. I'm not sure if he was writing down notes for things the OSU guys needed to work on, or scouting notes on Mizzou guys for future matches, I'm sure a combination of both. Regardless, my point is, I think the guy pays EXTREMELY close attention to detail. The kind of detail you see from someone who has a been a HC at a program that he had to work to 'rebuild' (I use that term loosely because UNC is a power 5 school). But regardless, you can tell this guy was an Olympic Bronze medalist by the attention to detail. Cowboys are in good hands with him being the future.

I like that stuff too. Something else Coleman did that stood out to me... during 174 SV period, Thompson got a takedown and refs awarded the points but didn't stop the match. Cowboy bench is losing their minds, Coleman included. But then at like 10 seconds left, Coleman just shrugs and sits back down. That's some finesse - knowing when to fight for your team and when to cool it down because you know it doesn't matter. That kind of finesse has been missing from the Cowboy bench for a while now and it's nice to have it back.

Another odd Missouri coaching choice I noticed. I forget which match but the Mizzou guy was up like 5-2 with a few seconds left in the 3rd. Mizzou guy gets a questionable TD that doesn't get called but Mizzou coaches lose their minds and pressure the refs to review the no-call even though Mizzou has no brick left. But the thing is, TD or not the Mizzou guy is winning by a regular decision and the dual is already locked up for OSU. Not trying to call anybody out, it just seemed like a weird thing to grandstand on.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Winners Circle said:

So what did you see happening over on the Mizzou bench?  Just curious to read your observation, you being a "neutral" wrestling fan junkie.  Am I being too harsh with my observation?  I was sitting in primo view in the folding chairs, one row above the mat side setting and directly across from coaches/teams.

10 minutes ago, alex1fly said:

I like that stuff too. Something else Coleman did that stood out to me... during 174 SV period, Thompson got a takedown and refs awarded the points but didn't stop the match. Cowboy bench is losing their minds, Coleman included. But then at like 10 seconds left, Coleman just shrugs and sits back down. That's some finesse - knowing when to fight for your team and when to cool it down because you know it doesn't matter. That kind of finesse has been missing from the Cowboy bench for a while now and it's nice to have it back.

Another odd Missouri coaching choice I noticed. I forget which match but the Mizzou guy was up like 5-2 with a few seconds left in the 3rd. Mizzou guy gets a questionable TD that doesn't get called but Mizzou coaches lose their minds and pressure the refs to review the no-call even though Mizzou has no brick left. But the thing is, TD or not the Mizzou guy is winning by a regular decision and the dual is already locked up for OSU. Not trying to call anybody out, it just seemed like a weird thing to grandstand on.

KOT vs Olejnik. KOT up 4-1 with RT locked. Questionable takedown on the edge (which I did not think was 3). Even with the TD, KOT still only wins 8-1. There was 3 seconds left, so definitely not enough time to push for a major. I agree, very odd hill to die on if I'm Mizzou coaching staff.

5 minutes ago, MidwestMan said:

So what did you see happening over on the Mizzou bench?  Just curious to read your observation, you being a "neutral" wrestling fan junkie.  Am I being too harsh with my observation?  I was sitting in primo view in the folding chairs, one row above the mat side setting and directly across from coaches/teams.

To be honest, I didn't see much 'fire' or enthusiasm from the staff. When Surtin, who I thought wrestled well (needs to clean up his LA finishes, but he didn't wrestle timid) lost, and then knowing they were immediately forfeiting 133 following that, it took the wind out of their coaching staff's sails. Do I think that carried over to the athletes that were competing? That I don't know. I do think it carried over to the energy in the building though, certainly. 

2 hours ago, MidwestMan said:

Could be one of the above, all of the above or a combination of.   From the outside where I sit it sure looks like coach Scott is making an impact