Daily Trivia (NCAA Tournament Edition)

cowcards

On 1/28/2024 at 5:56 PM, cowcards said:

Answer:  1972

126 Oklahoma State Yoshiro Fujita
  177 Ohio Russ Johnson

Fujita broke his collar bone first round and was out.....sad....lost to Howard Fox (Cincinnati)/first period...opened the door for P. Milkovich to win the first of 2 NCAA titles.

Cowcards gave me permission to post this question, and also suggested rewording to make it easier to understand.  I'll post the answer tomorrow (unless someone gets it by then).

Who are the only two wrestlers to win an NCAA title while losing a match at that year's tournament?

• Fire 1

15 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:

Cowcards gave me permission to post this question, and also suggested rewording to make it easier to understand.  I'll post the answer tomorrow (unless someone gets it by then).

Who are the only two wrestlers to win an NCAA title while losing a match at that year's tournament?

I didn't realize it happened and certainly didn't know the names without looking them up but the one tip I'll give is that it helped to know what years to look for.

24 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I didn't realize it happened and certainly didn't know the names without looking them up but the one tip I'll give is that it helped to know what years to look for.

This is definitely one you need to understand the progression of the NCAA tournament format and rules. 

24 minutes ago, Fadzaev2 said:

I've got a good trivia question.......what high school had 3 wrestlers in the NCAA division 1 finals/the same year....who were the wrestlers and what year are we talking about.  That year, they finished 1-2-1

Given their 30 titles I'd say Tulsa Central a good guess. 

16 minutes ago, ionel said:

David "Buddy" Arndt (class of 1939) won titles in 1941-1942 and 1946.

The Jennings won back-to-back titles in 1941 and 1942, and Maxwell joined them on the winner's podium in 1942.

Actually that^^^ looks like 4 titles in one year (42) not 3 finalists.

David "Buddy" Arndt (class of 1939) won titles in 1941-1942 and 1946.
The Jennings won back-to-back titles in 1941 and 1942, and Maxwell joined them on the winner's podium in 1942.
Actually that^^^ looks like 4 titles in one year (42) not 3 finalists.

Tulsa Central also had instances where HS teammates met in the NCAA final. See my cited examples earlier in the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Tulsa Central also had instances where HS teammates in the NCAA final. See my cited examples earlier in the thread.

And there might've been more than 4 in the finals in 42 (or other years), their web site doesn't talk about 2nd place.  Since wrestlingstats.com is broken its harder to look up this stuff.

Edited by ionel

And there might've been more than 4 in the finals in 42 (or other years), their web site doesn't talk about 2nd place.  Since wrestlingstats.com is broken its harder to look up this stuff.

Five champs in 1942.

Logan, Arndt, Jennings, Jennings, Maxwell

15 minutes ago, Ohio Elite said:

Did they do a round robin once upon a time?

They used the old black marks system for a couple+ years. 

49 minutes ago, ionel said:

They have done it 4x actually. 

10 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Five champs in 1942.

Logan, Arndt, Jennings, Jennings, Maxwell

McDonald and Johnson were also runner-ups. So they had 7 that year!

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Fadzaev2 said:

I've got a good trivia question.......what high school had 3 wrestlers in the NCAA division 1 finals/the same year....who were the wrestlers and what year are we talking about.  That year, they finished 1-2-1

I knew this might happen.....I'll clarify.....I'm talking "modern era"....I'll categorize that as since 1970.  I'll give a good clue.....2 of them were 3 timers.

40 minutes ago, Fadzaev2 said:

I knew this might happen.....I'll clarify.....I'm talking "modern era"....I'll categorize that as since 1970.  I'll give a good clue.....2 of them were 3 timers.

Barry Davis, Lenny Zalesky, Jim Zalesky. 1982

22 minutes ago, Jason Bryant said:

@Fadzaev2 I'd recommend looking at 1969 as the start of the modern era, since that's the first year (save '47) freshmen were eligible, so we get to the "four timer" era. 

Thanks Jas.....I'll back up one year to 1968-1969!  That being said, here's another trivia question....who were/are the first two 4 time all-americans......(in the modern era...lol)  I like talking "modern era" because was/am alive in the modern era.

12 minutes ago, Fadzaev2 said:

Thanks Jas.....I'll back up one year to 1968-1969!  That being said, here's another trivia question....who were/are the first two 4 time all-americans......(in the modern era...lol)  I like talking "modern era" because was/am alive in the modern era.

Gary Breece (Oklahoma) and Jarrett Hubbard (Michigan) were the first two in the modern era. But they were actually the third and fourth overall.

Can you name the first two?

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

4 hours ago, Fadzaev2 said:

Blair Academy had 3 in the finals in 2005 I believe.  Mocco 1st, Esposito 1st, and Mark Perry 2nd.  

• Fire 3

24 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Gary Breece (Oklahoma) and Jarrett Hubbard (Michigan) were the first two in the modern era. But they were actually the third and fourth overall.

Can you name the first two?

No, because I probably wasn't born yet, and yes, you got the first 2 ITME right.  There, I made up an acronym....lol.

No, because I probably wasn't born yet, and yes, you got the first 2 ITME right.  There, I made up an acronym....lol.

You are correct. In the years immediately following WW2 they briefly allowed freshman to be eligible. So, in 1950 Dick Hutton (1,1,2,1 for Oklahoma St) and Joe Scarpello (1,3,2,1 for Iowa) became the first two four timers. And unless they started the finals at Heavyweight Scarpello would have barely preceded Hutton.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, KCMO2 said:

Blair Academy had 3 in the finals in 2005 I believe.  Mocco 1st, Esposito 1st, and Mark Perry 2nd.  

& Cooperman took 3rd.  Another Blair alum Backes came in to that tournament as the #2 seed & Robbie Preston I believe wrestled back to the Round of 12

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

33 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

& Cooperman took 3rd.  Another Blair alum Backes came in to that tournament as the #2 seed & Robbie Preston I believe wrestled back to the Round of 12

And I think Palmer took 8th.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

You are correct. In the years immediately following WW2 they briefly allowed freshman to be eligible. So, in 1950 Dick Hutton (1,1,2,1 for Oklahoma St) and Joe Scarpello (1,3,2,1 for Iowa) became the first two four timers. And unless they started the finals at Heavyweight Scarpello would have barely preceded Hutton.

I was two years old, and Amateur Wrestling News hadn't hit the press for the first time, so this wasn't stored in my cranial terabytes.....darn it....thank goodness for Google!!!   WKN.....you're alright!!!

I was two years old, and Amateur Wrestling News hadn't hit the press for the first time, so this wasn't stored in my cranial terabytes.....darn it....thank goodness for Google!!!   WKN.....you're alright!!!

Right back at ya, Fadz. I always enjoy your posts. You are so knowledgable.

• Fire 1