Mizzou vs West Virginia/Cornell

21 minutes ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Tigers vs Mountaineers on Friday followed by Cornell on Sunday. Should be some good matchups if all have full lineups. KOT vs Hall and Ramirez etc. The match with Cornell will be on ESPN+

After the Nashville duals situation, I am not gonna hold my breath that Cornell sends Ramirez out. 

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

After the Nashville duals situation, I am not gonna hold my breath that Cornell sends Ramirez out. 

Why would Cornell hold Ramirez out against O'Toole?  Protecting his lower seed?  What's the downside?

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, BigRedFan said:

Why would Cornell hold Ramirez out against O'Toole?  Protecting his lower seed?  What's the downside?

its like when they held vito out against crookham so they could lose the dual and not overturn a previous loss against the #1 guy.

• Haha 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

6 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

So you acknowledge they held Ramirez out against Carr for seeding purposes? Because I seem to recall you defending Grey to the death saying he would never do that.

• Fire 2

Lineup for the weekend - per the Cornell Match Notes:

125 Brett Ungar (10-4)/Greg Diakomihalis (11-3)/Marcello Milani (6-2)

133 Vito Arujau (4-1)/Ethan Qureshi (7-8)

141 Vince Cornella (9-7)/Mark Botello (1-4)

149 Ethan Fernandez (11-6) or Cole Handlovic (3-5)

157 Meyer Shapiro (11-2)/Benny Rogers (7-2)

165 Julian Ramirez (13-1)/Brody Oleksak (0-2)

174 Benny Baker (12-9)/Evan Canoyer (4-5)/Colt Barley (3-3)

184 Chris Foca (10-2)/Christian Hansen (5-4)

197 Jacob Cardenas (12-3)/Eric Carlson (4-1)

285 Lewis Fernandes (11-7)/Ashton Davis (6-4)

Plenty of wiggle room there! 😉

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Red Blades said:

Is Ungar vs Greg D an open competition or is Ungar the certified starter unless injury?

25 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

So you acknowledge they held Ramirez out against Carr for seeding purposes? Because I seem to recall you defending Grey to the death saying he would never do that.

Yeah but that actually makes sense. It was helpful for them to do that. Ramirez getting beat by otoole doesn't change the landscape at all.

Even if carr wins out, ducking otoole doesn't really help because he's already got a loss to olejnik. 

Edited by Hammerlock3

Just my plea, that the Big Red put out their BEST lineup for this dual.

Do it for the fans... do it for the pride... JUST DO IT!

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

5 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Yeah but that actually makes sense. It was helpful for them to do that. Ramirez getting beat by otoole doesn't change the landscape at all.

Less losses is beneficial for seeding purposes. Right now Ramirez, Carr, Olejnik, Caliendo, and Hamiti all have 1 loss. Ramirez loses to KOT, he has two losses. Assuming Carr beats Olejnik, Olejnik will have two losses. Olejnik beat Ramirez H2H. So he gets tie breaking nod there. If Ramirez sits vs KOT, he protects that. Those Cornell guys like to play chess not checkers. 

2 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

Less losses is beneficial for seeding purposes. Right now Ramirez, Carr, Olejnik, Caliendo, and Hamiti all have 1 loss. Ramirez loses to KOT, he has two losses. Assuming Carr beats Olejnik, Olejnik will have two losses. Olejnik beat Ramirez H2H. So he gets tie breaking nod there. If Ramirez sits vs KOT, he protects that. Those Cornell guys like to play chess not checkers. 

i was on the other side of this argument last week but I still don't think they'll hold him out to dodge a loss. For one thing, where is the good spot in this bracket at NCAAs? Also, even though us as fans don't think this way, the cornell staff is going to try to beat otoole at NCAAs, it helps him to get a feel first. 

32 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

Learn to read.  Did I say that?  Ramirez tweaked an ankle prior to the ISU dual.  It's not clear that Grey has ever held a healthy wrestler out because of seeding concerns.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Red Blades said:

Mauller and Shapiro will/would be awesome to watch. Hope it happens 

7 hours ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Tigers vs Mountaineers on Friday followed by Cornell on Sunday. Should be some good matchups if all have full lineups. KOT vs Hall and Ramirez etc. The match with Cornell will be on ESPN+

Even with all of the starters in, I think Mizzou takes 6 bouts to 4 for Cornell.  That said, there are a few toss-ups that can go either way.

I'll go way out on a limb and say that Mizzou beats WVA without much drama; and likewise Cornell handles Harvard and Brown.

Sunday's dual should be a good one.

6 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Even if carr wins out, ducking otoole doesn't really help because he's already got a loss to olejnik. 

He has a better chance of getting a 3 seed if he keeps his record to 1 loss, no? Olejnik is most likely going to take 1 more loss at minimum so he probably gets seeded no higher than 4. I can see the benefit of sitting Ramirez

• Fire 1

Just now, Mr. PeanutButter said:

He has a better chance of getting a 3 seed if he keeps his record to 1 loss, no? Olejnik is most likely going to take 1 more loss at minimum so he probably gets seeded no higher than 4. I can see the benefit of sitting Ramirez

I'd be tempted to respond but we're all usually scratching our heads when we see those brackets anyway...

16 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

i was on the other side of this argument last week but I still don't think they'll hold him out to dodge a loss. For one thing, where is the good spot in this bracket at NCAAs? Also, even though us as fans don't think this way, the cornell staff is going to try to beat otoole at NCAAs, it helps him to get a feel first. 

Also, outside chance Ramirez can still get the 1 seed (which only happens if he has 1 loss). If Carr beats KOT twice (dual & B12s), Messenbrink takes a loss, Olejnik takes another loss, the only remaining 1 loss wrestlers would be Carr & Ramirez. Ramirez would own the H2H and would be the 1 seed. 

Also, outside chance Ramirez can still get the 1 seed (which only happens if he has 1 loss). If Carr beats KOT twice (dual & B12s), Messenbrink takes a loss, Olejnik takes another loss, the only remaining 1 loss wrestlers would be Carr & Ramirez. Ramirez would own the H2H and would be the 1 seed. 

Mesenbrink would have one loss in your scenario as well. Currently undefeated. If he wins out through B1Gs, he’s the 2 seed.

And, assuming that loss is at B1Gs to Hamiti, he’d be whatever and 1 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Winners Circle said:

ok so if Ramirez wrestles I read that tea leaves correctly, if he doesn't you did, fair enough?

21 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

ok so if Ramirez wrestles I read that tea leaves correctly, if he doesn't you did, fair enough?

https://cornellbigred.com/news/2024/1/26/wrestling-off-the-mat-julian-ramirez-25-and-his-evolution.aspx

“I am really looking forward to this match against Keegan. He’s one of my favorite wrestlers in the NCAA,” Ramirez said. “I like to watch him wrestle. I think we’re going to go in there and battle for seven minutes, and to each their own.”