Carlton Haselrig

He’s the only six-time NCAA champion in college wrestling history and yet I hardly hear his name in discussion for best heavyweights or wrestlers overall. I’m also curious to know, is his success the reason for the college division (D2 & D3) being excluded from future NCAA Division I tournaments?

• Fire 1

27 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

He’s the only six-time NCAA champion in college wrestling history and yet I hardly hear his name in discussion for best heavyweights or wrestlers overall. I’m also curious to know, is his success the reason for the college division (D2 & D3) being excluded from future NCAA Division I tournaments?

Gray Simons won 7- 4 NAIA 3 NCAA.

Officially it was the NCAA realizing no other sport gave 2 bites at the apple. But I wouldn't be surprised Haselrig prompted the thought process.

• Fire 5

Interesting stuff with Haselrig and Simons. 

As a side note, this and many other recent threads are usually chatter for the offseason. Why so much of it now? Is everyone bored with the dual season or what? No hate on the OP or this discussion or the others of course, just something I noticed.

51 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

New folks and the, "Jimmies" of the board...

Far from a Jimmy Cinnabon. I just decided to be more active on here and bring all of my usual topics from https://www.indianamat.com to InterMat. However, it’s met with mixed reception as I guess college board observers don’t really care about historical discussion and comparisons between generations. I just ask those kinds of questions because I’m trying to up my knowledge of wrestling on the collegiate level.

• Fire 1

59 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Interesting stuff with Haselrig and Simons. 

As a side note, this and many other recent threads are usually chatter for the offseason. Why so much of it now? Is everyone bored with the dual season or what? No hate on the OP or this discussion or the others of course, just something I noticed.

Duals and dual season don’t mean anything now. Just posturing fodder for the real event in March. 

• Fire 2

3 minutes ago, Southend said:

Duals and dual season don’t mean anything now. Just posturing fodder for the real event in March. 

But what will we talk about during the actual offseason? 

I guess it's an election and Olympic year...

25 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

Far from a Jimmy Cinnabon. I just decided to be more active on here and bring all of my usual topics from https://www.indianamat.com to InterMat. However, it’s met with mixed reception as I guess college board observers don’t really care about historical discussion and comparisons between generations. I just ask those kinds of questions because I’m trying to up my knowledge of wrestling on the collegiate level.

Welcome. I came over from indianamat too.

• Fire 3

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 hours ago, blueandgold said:

I think he his held in lower regard because he was not able to to make the US national team and had no international accomplishments. Not passing judgment whether this is fair or not, but I dont think he was ever very high on the US ladder. He pursued a football career because he had no path to continue as a wrestler.

Kole Conrad is similar in this regard

30 minutes ago, Jim L said:

I think he his held in lower regard because he was not able to to make the US national team and had no international accomplishments. Not passing judgment whether this is fair or not, but I dont think he was ever very high on the US ladder. He pursued a football career because he had no path to continue as a wrestler.

He did go the football route pretty quickly after college iirc. He might have made more of a mark freestyle wise if he had stuck with it. Of course, Big Bruce was there, and Erickson was no slouch either so it would have been a hard road.

RIP Carlton Haselrig

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Jim L said:

EDIT: I originally quoted Haselrig's wiki page without checking.  Not sure if the following is accurate, "Haselrig was the 1985 Junior Greco-Roman World Champion, and the 1986 Junior Freestyle World Champion, while competing for the United States in the heavyweight division."

Edited by lu_alum

1 hour ago, lu_alum said:

EDIT: I originally quoted Haselrig's wiki page without checking.  Not sure if the following is accurate, "Haselrig was the 1985 Junior Greco-Roman World Champion, and the 1986 Junior Freestyle World Champion, while competing for the United States in the heavyweight division."

It is accurate 

7 hours ago, blueandgold said:

I read his book Giant Killer years ago and walked wondering why he isn’t more well known but it’s probably mostly due to a few things 1 being he went the nfl route , 2 him being a recluse for long periods (he literally would disappear for weeks on end , cost him his job with the Steelers) and 3  later on developed an alcohol and drug problem and had some trouble with the law. To his credit he did get clean but he just didn’t seem to want the spotlight I think all those factors are why he’s forgotten or an afterthought compared to other heavies and yes I believe he is the main reason why they stopped letting d2 and D3 compete , I know some big time coaches were at the forefront of that change as well

i actually had a thread similar to this on the old board years ago 

Edited by Antitroll2828
  • Fire 2

8 hours ago, lu_alum said:

I only went back to edit my post because my search resulted in this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cadet,_Junior,_and_Espoir_World_Champions_in_men's_freestyle_wrestling

image.png.2649a93dd7371f6e7dcdd85b82002fc7.png

image.png.0170b997feeeac3d2170c8edb637898f.png

LOL. I went down the same rabbit hole and spent too much time looking at Wikipedia. I did notice that the lack of results theUS had for about 20 years and  the recent outstanding results,. Bodes well for the future

16 hours ago, Jim L said:

I think 4th in Olympic Trials prior to playing in the NFL.