Passivity question

Is it written that the ref should put the active wrestler on passivity first, and then put the passive wrestler on passivity second?

I see this occurring on the regular.

Is this an unwritten rule to give advantage to the active wrestler?

I would like to think the passive wrestler gets put on passivity every time but…

1 hour ago, jross said:

Is it written that the ref should put the active wrestler on passivity first, and then put the passive wrestler on passivity second?

I would like to think the passive wrestler gets put on passivity every time but…

Yes it is an unwritten rule when high-caliber refs are involved. The thought process is that if it remains low scoring then they will not lose on criteria.

Non-high caliber refs and it's a crapshoot if you're lucky.

i am an idiot on the internet

21 hours ago, jross said:

From the USAW rulebook:

Passivity is a tool that the officiating crew can use to stimulate action from a wrestler who is not actively attempting to score. Passivity can be observed as:

- Evading attacks without counterattacks

- Attacking without direct contact with the opponent

- Faked attacks

- Not able to control center

- Grabbing wrists without starting an attack

- Regaining initial position after beginning an attack

- Evading into and maintaining position within the passivity zone

- Fixing one’s opponent within the passivity zone

- Defensive wrestling

- Wrestling on one’s knees while not in contact with the opponent

- In GR wrestling, not attempting to “hook” his opponent despite good position

Because we think of faked attacks as being active in folkstyle, we can be confused when watching freestyle where they are defined as passive. Yes there is a lot of action, but it is not defined as activity in the rules. When I watch high end freestyle (olympics, worlds, qualifiers, etc.) it almost always comes down to who is controlling the center of the mat rather than who is shooting, unless the shooter actually scores. The person with their foot/feet in the center circle or with their back toward the center circle is viewed as active. The other is passive.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

10 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

From the USAW rulebook:

Passivity is a tool that the officiating crew can use to stimulate action from a wrestler who is not actively attempting to score.

So a tool kind've like a cattle prod? 

On 1/21/2024 at 6:08 AM, Wrestleknownothing said:

From the USAW rulebook:

Passivity is a tool that the officiating crew can use to stimulate action from a wrestler who is not actively attempting to score. Passivity can be observed as:

- Faked attacks

- Defensive wrestling

Because we think of faked attacks as being active in folkstyle, we can be confused when watching freestyle where they are defined as passive. Yes there is a lot of action, but it is not defined as activity in the rules. When I watch high end freestyle (olympics, worlds, qualifiers, etc.) it almost always comes down to who is controlling the center of the mat rather than who is shooting, unless the shooter actually scores. The person with their foot/feet in the center circle or with their back toward the center circle is viewed as active. The other is passive.

You don't know nothin'!!!   🤣

mspart

• Fire 1

On 1/21/2024 at 9:08 AM, Wrestleknownothing said:

From the USAW rulebook:

- Faked attacks

- Defensive wrestling

Really hard to adjust mindset to understand the international passivity criteria after so many years of watching/wrestling Folkstyle.  And when I did wrestle Free, it was always with local refs who were basically using the folkstyle criteria for stalling.

I guess I will have to just accept that international refs are probably calling passivity correctly and stop bitching how the US wrestler took all the shots.

• Fire 1