Arizona State Sun Devils

just a down year/bad luck w injuries or the sign of regression? What's going on in Tempe that the perennial title contender/PAC 12 powerhouse is (maybe actually) mediocre? 

Not sure what their commitments look like, but is there hope for a return to form in the near future? 

16 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

ASU is a distraction-rich environment. 

I myself am an ASU alum and the distractions didn't impact my college wrestling career at all, even a little bit. My career as a D1 wrestler went *exaclty* the same as it would have had there been no distractions at all.

• Fire 2

3 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Didn't Arizona State win a team trophy a few years ago?

They're also the only team west of the Rockies to win a national championship, although in fairness, wasn't Zeke a wrestler on that team?

To be fair, a lot of people on here weren't born yet. 

• Haha 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1. Lots of injuries this year - Figs and Vaquez being two important ones this year.

2. Team looks very flat - Parco, Teemer and Schultz all have losses they shouldn't have. They look a little disinterested. 

3. Have some good kids coming in like #1 Manville - but the classes have been down a little since having a couple great ones. 

4. Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley was the #1 song the same weekend that ASU won the title in 1988....35 years ago... which is the same amount of time from 1953 - 1988. 

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, Idaho said:

1. Lots of injuries this year - Figs and Vaquez being two important ones this year.

2. Team looks very flat - Parco, Teemer and Schultz all have losses they shouldn't have. They look a little disinterested. 

3. Have some good kids coming in like #1 Manville - but the classes have been down a little since having a couple great ones. 

4. Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley was the #1 song the same weekend that ASU won the title in 1988....35 years ago... which is the same amount of time from 1953 - 1988. 

Trophy presentation:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xvFZjo5PgG0

• Haha 1

Don't we talk about this every season? I feel like we talk about ASU & Illinois coming up short every season. 

They both have great recruits and it seems like Chlebove is coming on as of late. I am surprised that he didn't transfer and get closer to home. 

• Fire 2

less handfighty, very low to the mat, they like to try and trick people down to their level with the threat of a double leg or other outside shot, once they are down thereon a knee or something that hit a lot of overtie shucks. In general they are a little too patient but very tactical.

• Fire 2

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

Jones says that Vasquez is close to returning..... Figueroa and Parco will wrestle the duals this weekend at Little Rock and PItt. Jones also said everyone should be. in the lineup in about 2 weeks. 

• Fire 1

Is Mark Perry still coaching there? I don't see him listed on their page. Anyone know what he's up to now?

My wrestling claim is fame is having Mark Perry whoop my butt. We were at a similar weight but thankfully he was wrestling high school when I was in junior high. I like to think I helped him succeed.

20 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

less handfighty, very low to the mat, they like to try and trick people down to their level with the threat of a double leg or other outside shot, once they are down thereon a knee or something that hit a lot of overtie shucks. In general they are a little too patient but very tactical.

Well I appreciate how nicely you described it. I'd be more complaining.