It's time: Predict the 2024 125 pound NCAA champ

peanut

It's time: Pick the 2024 125 pound NCAA champ   

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 2024 125 pound NCAA champ?

• Ramos (14-3)
    • Noto (10-1)
    • Barnett (14-2)
    • Ungar (10-3)
    • Peterson (7-1)
    • Poulin (7-1)
    • McKee (8-2)
    • DeAugustino (5-1)
    • Kaylor (8-5)
    • Smith (14-3)
    • Volk (12-4)
    • Provo (10-3)
    • Ayala (10-1)
    • Flynn (8-2)
    • Palmer (7-1)
    • Maida (10-0)
    • Surtin (10-1)
    • Davis (9-0)
    • Diakomihalis (11-3)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/19/2024 at 05:00 PM

7 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I am also coming around on the idea of Ayala being a nose ahead of the pack right now. 

i'm a bit concerned with any of the guys that are content with 1 score matches I think surtin may be my pick I really thought he should have gotten backs against spratley and the neck does not seem to be an issue. If camacho can get the cut down I think hes a strong pick as well aside from the obvious ramos.

15 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Ahead of Matt Ramos?

I'm not a fan of Ayala's three point stance offense. Guy like Ramos will blast right through that. Speaking for myself though, I'd be A LOT more confident in Ramos if he hadn't lost to Blaze. I know, that was then, this is now. But it wasn't a great look.

• Fire 1

32 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Ahead of Matt Ramos?

I feel a little impacted by watching Ramos get fourth at CKLV.  He didn't seem to have enough separation over the pack.  Whereas Ayala has one excellent skill that although its intangible, he has proven to possess it: he's clutch and timely

4 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I feel a little impacted by watching Ramos get fourth at CKLV.  He didn't seem to have enough separation over the pack.  Whereas Ayala has one excellent skill that although its intangible, he has proven to possess it: he's clutch and timely

Except when he faced Ramos?

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

1 minute ago, PortaJohn said:

Except when he faced Ramos?

If it was guaranteed to be a matchup between the two of them, I like Ramos' chances, but I also think Ramos has a better chance of losing to the lower level of guys than Ayala does - and in a weight that is so close - he may not make it far enough to face Ayala.  Matchups will be absolutely crucial though

2 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I am also coming around on the idea of Ayala being a nose ahead of the pack right now. 

I was too. Then I ran an analysis of Ayala against McKee, Noto, DeAug, Barnett, Kaylor, Camacho, Stanich and Smith and found he’s 5-9 against them. Taking away his 2-4 versus McKee he’s still only 3-5 against em. Ramos is 7–3, McKee 14-12, DeAug 8-7, and Barnett 11-13. Noto, Camacho and Stanich may be at an advantage by not having been seen before, to some degree. Ramos, Barnett, Camacho and Smith impress with winning records against 4,4,3, and 3 of the above individuals. Ayala and Kaylor struggle with winning records against just 1 guy each. Kaylor over Ayala and Ayala over Smith. 

What's Terukina's status? I saw that he turned himself in and was arrested a little over a week ago for violating his probation. Is he still on the team? While he fell short of the expectations I had for him, I thought he could still be a landmine at Nationals.

24 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

What's Terukina's status? I saw that he turned himself in and was arrested a little over a week ago for violating his probation. Is he still on the team? While he fell short of the expectations I had for him, I thought he could still be a landmine at Nationals.

Just saw a Dresser interview where he addressed it and sounds like he is still on the team.

Also found this:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/wrestling/2024/02/22/iowa-state-wrestling-kysen-terukina-violates-probation-may-wrestle-against-missouri/72696938007/

Edited by 1032004

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

From what I can tell those incidents were in the past and the arrest was for not properly contacting his probation officer in time

Edited by flyingcement

5 hours ago, flyingcement said:

From what I can tell those incidents were in the past and the arrest was for not properly contacting his probation officer in time

Yes, I had originally asked what he was on probation for.  But edited it after I found a similar article

• Fire 1

On 2/26/2024 at 3:22 PM, flyingcement said:

You setting him up to lose his first match at b10?  

• Clown 1

On 2/19/2024 at 1:43 PM, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Friendly reminder Purdue is getting their first natty champ in 50+ years this year.

where will you be when Matty Ice hits back flips and jumps in Ersland’s arms.

I really enjoyed the BTN's featurette on Ramos. You've probably seen it, but I thought I'd post the video anyway. I'm pulling for Ayala but Ramos seems like a good kid. Respect also to Spencer for taking the interview. Getting it out there probably helps him to move on and maybe keeps the fire lit inside.

• Fire 4

Incredible post.  What a video! Ramos is humble as all hell - never gloats - speaks with class.  And the notion of the losing wrester granting an interview for a situation like this makes me forgive a great bit of his forfeits after that match (not that it's up to me to forgive him)

On 2/26/2024 at 4:00 PM, flyingcement said:

You know guys get sharper over the course of the season. Ramos looks a lot better to me than he did earlier in the year. 

• Fire 1

On 2/26/2024 at 3:22 PM, flyingcement said:

On 3/3/2024 at 8:46 PM, ionel said:

You setting him up to lose his first match at b10?  

🤔

• Brain 1
  • Haha 1

Absolute bullshit that Griffin did not get his near-fall points on Surtin in the Big12 quarterfinal. Crazy match after that to sudden victory.  Crazy scramble in sudden victory and Surtin wins.

Edited by jross
  • Potato 1

Many allocations left to be decided, but here is where we have it so far:

Allocation Earned At Large Pool
Luke Stanich Anthony Molton
Brett Ungar Trever Anderson
Anthony Noto Jack Maida
Blake West Conrad Hendriksen
Patrick McKee Chad Bellis
Braeden Davis Drew West
Michael DeAugustino Sean Spidle
Noah Surtin Tyler Klinsky