Who is the single greatest wrestler from your school?

Jimmy Cinnabon

16 minutes ago, Fadzaev2 said:

I know you're going to say because he never lost, but really????  Over John Smith 6 time world and Olympic champion (consecutively)  If I remember correctly, Uetake did lose a match in the Olympic Trials (Japan) to Yoshiro Fujita.....Fujita then competed for OSU NCAA Champion and most likely 2 timer if he isn't seriously injured first round of the 1972 NCAA's and has to default out.

I don't think anyone is clear on this but I believe he lost a match in '63 placing 3rd at Nats so that wouldn't have been Fujita (he wouldn't have been a teenager yet). I think it was his first year in serious wrestling as he switched from Judo.

23 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I don't think anyone is clear on this but I believe he lost a match in '63 placing 3rd at Nats so that wouldn't have been Fujita (he wouldn't have been a teenager yet). I think it was his first year in serious wrestling as he switched from Judo.

I just did some Googling and found an excerpt from the old mat.com forum which is now closed.....In an article I read, this was the reason Fujita came to OSU....Uetake alerted Roderick of him.

Jul 23, 2021  And Uetake did lose a match in an Olympic trials to another Cowboy great....Yoshiro Fujita...... GoldenAggie. 

32 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Here's another exerpt found from "OrangePower"?  image.png.a570d695ca3d6eced70173e22f602f32.png

On 11/29/2022 at 5:39 AM, gimpeltf said:

HS - Bob Zaro 60s, John Barna 80s. Mike Coyle only D1 AA until Brandon Paetzell 2020. Mike Rossetti D3 champ.

Bob Stem state champ in 50s but more of a footballer. Played for Syracuse around time of Jim Brown/Ernie Davis. Hall of Fame as HS Coach.

College- Mike Caruso, Darryl Burley probably a little ahead of Mike Frick, Mark Lieberman, Kirk Pendleton, Eddie Eichelberger. Bobby Weaver internationally.

Mike Coyle I guess is a tie for best ever from JMU as well, being one of only two AAs for the Dukes. Brian Kurlander being the other. Coyle's coach at JMU, also from Phillipsburg, was pretty good too. Bowyer made blood round twice when he wrestled for the Dukes.    

On 11/28/2022 at 2:29 PM, Idaho said:

Most people would say that the best Oregon State wrestlers of all-time is Les Gutches (2x NCAA champ, 1996 Hodge winner, World Champion), however it is probably Robin Reed, whose career has a lot of myth and legend attached to it. Reed went undefeated from 1921-1924 and won 3 national championships. He pinned his way though the 1924 Olympics to win the gold medal.  He actually won the Pacific Northwest Olympic Trials in 4 different weights. It was said he could pin every wrestler on the olympic team including the heavyweight. Below is a link to his story.

https://nwhof.org/hall_of_fame/bio/29

http://oregonsportshall.org/timeline/robin-reed-wrestling/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Reed

I would have to agree with all of this.  In my lifetime, it's Les Gutches.  I did meet Robin Reed before he passed and he was super nice to my family.  Go BEAVS!

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, MPhillips said:

Ken Ramsey.

4xer in Ohio. 2x AA at OSU.

Both my schools...

And Stieber of course.

I went a couple of clinics at Grove City years ago....Jim Humphrey (Indiana) one week and Dave Schultz (Wisconsin) the other.  I'm sure they had ulterior motives for being there (wink)....at the clinics were Kenny Ramsey, Rex Holman and Adam DiSabato.....Hellickson got all 3 though.  The Schultz clinic was super....not that Hump was bad.  Schultz renamed a hold the "Grove City leg hook"
to add a little humor.

Edited by Fadzaev2
  • Fire 1