Jimmy Carter caused the demise of America

JimmyBT

40 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

When you’re in the car by yourself it’s not for anyones benefit.  Btw I followed the science and didn’t wear one.  Herd immunity.  You’re welcome.  

For someone who doesn't want to be part of a flock you sure cave, quickly, to being one of the herd. Well played. 

I would love to understand the 'science' you followed. Because it isn't. Great life choices on your part. Any other recommendations? Coast line, for sale, in Arizona perhaps? 

Thanks for the laugh. 

Happy new year!

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

For someone who doesn't want to be part of a flock you sure cave, quickly, to being one of the herd. Well played. 

I would love to understand the 'science' you followed. Because it isn't. Great life choices on your part. Any other recommendations? Coast line, for sale, in Arizona perhaps? 

Thanks for the laugh. 

Happy new year!

You’re welcome!!!!!  I love making people laugh. It’s what I do.  Oh and the science came from my blue state governors model that he used used to shut things down. The one that said if you’re <65 with no underlying health concerns you have a 99.5%+ recovery rate if you get the vid.  I had Covid in June of 2020. It was nothing. Had the flu many times that was waaaaay worse.  You continue being the sheeple you are are in 2024.  Happy New year and God Bless YOU!!!!  

• Stalling 1

7 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Thanks for the laugh. 

Happy new year!

Oh and I am considering AZ for part of the year. But I’m thinking the coastline in TX is much better.  

3 hours ago, mspart said:

So what is better about our education system since the inception of the Dept of Education?   How has education gotten better?   How has it gotten worse?

mspart

Nothing is better.  Scores were better before the gov got involved.  Over four decades since and we’ve gotten no better. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mspart said:

Yeah, if SAT tests are controlled, then we are a little better in math but not as good in critical reading.

mspart

The current digital SAT tests are easier as they adjust on the fly based on your performance.  Like everything else now days it has to be dumbed down.  

8 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

This is just one more thing that older generations perceive they did better.

I feel the top students today are better off than the top students of my time.  The twenty somethings I work with are sharp.  

There's no question about it at the top level because there's just much more competition now.  It's like comparing any sport in the 1980s and 1990s vs today.  Sure, the NFL/NBA/MLB all were more gritty back then, but the competition is significantly stronger now.  

4 hours ago, JimmyBT said:

The current digital SAT tests are easier as they adjust on the fly based on your performance.  Like everything else now days it has to be dumbed down.  

The SAT has always been an easy test once it became widely used. You can't have a test that is meant for every high school student to take unless it is easy. It's not meant to be difficult-that's why it only covers math through algebra.

I guarantee you that the AP Calculus BC, AP Physics C, AP Chemistry, Sat Math section II, AP US History, etc are still very difficult tests. 

Edited by billyhoyle
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

There's no question about it at the top level because there's just much more competition now.  It's like comparing any sport in the 1980s and 1990s vs today.  Sure, the NFL/NBA/MLB all were more gritty back then, but the competition is significantly stronger now.  

The SAT has always been an easy test once it became widely used. You can't have a test that is meant for every high school student to take unless it is easy. It's not meant to be difficult-that's why it only covers math through algebra.

I guarantee you that the AP Calculus BC, AP Physics C, AP Chemistry, Sat Math section II, AP US History, etc are still very difficult tests. 

If it’s so easy and people are smarter now why aren’t the scores that much better?  

8 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

If it’s so easy and people are smarter now why aren’t the scores that much better?  

There could be many reasons. 

1. Differences in the way the scores are scaled (I'm sure this factors into it significantly). 

2. More low-scoring people taking the test now than before, not because the average person is dumber, but because taking the test itself is encouraged.

3. More affluent people opting to take the ACT instead of the SAT. 

Also, if you go from 1972 to until today, the scores look fairly similar..I don't think much can be taken from seeing the average be 500 one year, 495 the next year, and then 510 a different year.  That's a 1-2% difference. 

12 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

There could be many reasons. 

1. Differences in the way the scores are scaled (I'm sure this factors into it significantly). 

2. More low-scoring people taking the test now than before, not because the average person is dumber, but because taking the test itself is encouraged.

3. More affluent people opting to take the ACT instead of the SAT. 

Also, if you go from 1972 to until today, the scores look fairly similar..I don't think much can be taken from seeing the average be 500 one year, 495 the next year, and then 510 a different year.  That's a 1-2% difference. 

It sounds like on the digital SAT they’re scaled to ensure you get questions based on how you’re performing as you go. In other words more of the type of questions someone knows the answer to instead of the questions they get wrong.  Seems to me with smarter kids and an easier test the scores would move much more than the 1-2% you’ve referenced.  I haven’t looked into it but are ACT up significantly?

8 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

It sounds like on the digital SAT they’re scaled to ensure you get questions based on how you’re performing as you go. In other words more of the type of questions someone knows the answer to instead of the questions they get wrong.  Seems to me with smarter kids and an easier test the scores would move much more than the 1-2% you’ve referenced.  I haven’t looked into it but are ACT up significantly?

A test that adjusts on the fly would be much more difficult for me than one that does not.  In the old SAT, I think getting one question wrong dropped your math score to like 760 or 770 because there were so many easy questions. If now there are a ton of difficult questions, that is by definition a more challenging test. 

Something else I liked about the old test was that I could do all the easy questions really quickly and then go back and spend more time on the couple of difficult questions in each section. If you have to answer everything now in order, I would find that much more challenging. 

Edited by billyhoyle

6 hours ago, mspart said:

I have to say that the new engineers I work with are pretty sharp but not especially hard working.   They know more than I did coming out of college (which was a few years ago) but work ethic is a bit lacking.  

Interesting chart about SAT scores from https://blog.prepscholar.com/average-sat-scores-over-time

image.thumb.png.a597062bbb48a7c1cf7a135a2341894c.png

mspart

You need a work ethic category. It doesn't matter what those other numbers are if you don't have a good work ethic.

• Fire 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

A test that adjusts on the fly would be much more difficult for me than one that does not.  In the old SAT, I think getting one question wrong dropped your math score to like 760 or 770 because there were so many easy questions. If now there are a ton of difficult questions, that is by definition a more challenging test. 

Something else I liked about the old test was that I could do all the easy questions really quickly and then go back and spend more time on the couple of difficult questions in each section. If you have to answer everything now in order, I would find that much more challenging. 

That’s the point of  having the digital test.  They make the questions easier as you get the hard ones wrong.  Fewer hard questions more easy ones.  

Edited by JimmyBT

Posted (edited)

From what I quickly looked at regarding ACT scores. The avg composite score in 1995 was 20.8. In 2022 it was 19.8.  In 1995 38% of hs graduates took the ACT. In 2022 it was 36%.  There are more people taking the test now because there are more students but the % is down. 

Edited by JimmyBT
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

You need a work ethic category. It doesn't matter what those other numbers are if you don't have a good work ethic.

That’s the problem though.  They think because they’re smart(er) they shouldn’t have to work for it.  

• Fire 1

14 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

I worked for a company that had a test with standardized questioning as part of the hiring process.  Couldn’t get people to pass it. Went to questions that adjusted based on answers and it all went away.  Candidates weren’t good but at least we had people.   I’m so glad I’m done dealing with todays workforce.  

• Fire 1