Who wants unlimited free transfers?

Wrestleknownothing

As reported by The Athletic, seven states (West Virginia, Ohio, Illinois, Colorado, New York, North Carolina, and Tennessee) filed suit in federal court today, challenging the NCAA's transfer eligibility rules as an illegal restraint on college athletes under the Sherman Antitrust Act. They want a permanent injunction against the rule, but are also seeking a preliminary injunction via a temporary restraining order.

If granted it would likely render any D1 athlete immediately eligible to participate. It effectively would remove the limitations on second transfers.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Time for NCAA football to become FBS football and become their own semi-pro league.  Give them what they want. Contracts, unions, medical staff, owners, 55 man rosters....etc.   Let them lease stadiums and facilities back from universities, do their own promotions, pay for commercials, etc.  Let them have what they want...

• Fire 8

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

10 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

As reported by The Athletic, seven states (West Virginia, Ohio, Illinois, Colorado, New York, North Carolina, and Tennessee) filed suit in federal court today, challenging the NCAA's transfer eligibility rules as an illegal restraint on college athletes under the Sherman Antitrust Act. They want a permanent injunction against the rule, but are also seeking a preliminary injunction via a temporary restraining order.

If granted it would likely render any D1 athlete immediately eligible to participate. It effectively would remove the limitations on second transfers.

I'm all for it as long as we can give the kids 12 years of guaranteed eligibility.  C'mon they need time to develop and get 5 degrees.  

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Idaho said:

Time for NCAA football to become FBS football and become their own semi-pro league.  Give them what they want. Contracts, unions, medical staff, owners, 55 man rosters....etc.   Let them lease stadiums and facilities back from universities, do their own promotions, pay for commercials, etc.  Let them have what they want...

Yes

1 hour ago, ionel said:

I'm all for it as long as we can give the kids 12 years of guaranteed eligibility.  C'mon they need time to develop and get 5 degrees.  

Why not use Downey the Great to push this one. After all,  he is the greatest wrestler in Iowa history and now has at least 29 PhD's to his name.

• Fire 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

7 hours ago, Idaho said:

Say goodbye to all D1 sports other than Basketball. 

I really like college sports and much of me doesn’t want it to change for nostalgic reasons, but hell yeah this is awesome.

I’m all for anything that does away with the NCAA’s and a College’s ability to lay claim to and encumber a student's life in an unbalanced fashion.

Student’s only sign up for these de facto minor leagues bc they are the monopolized pipeline to most pro sports.  That said, they step on so many burgeoning careers, and thus lives, with their limitations, it needs to go away.

If you look at any sports that don’t need the NCAA, and where athletes mature and are ready earlier or have other avenues, athletes avoid the NCAA as much as possible.  I’m thinking of basketball, baseball and hockey specifically.  

It would bring me great joy to know that the encumbrance factories we call higher education have a diminished ability to hold undue sway over the futures of young people.

• Fire 1

Maybe I'm just naive, but lost in this so far is the value of a college education. You know, the old trading 4 (or so) years of wrestling for a 4 (or so) year degree.  I have no idea of the size of NIL money, donor dollars, etc but for many (most) actual students the future value of a college education is not negligible. 
It would be interesting to see how much the landscape would change with an increase in the number of scholarships and with athletic scholarships at the Ivies.

• Fire 3

1 hour ago, BerniePragle said:

Maybe I'm just naive, but lost in this so far is the value of a college education. You know, the old trading 4 (or so) years of wrestling for a 4 (or so) year degree.  I have no idea of the size of NIL money, donor dollars, etc but for many (most) actual students the future value of a college education is not negligible. 
It would be interesting to see how much the landscape would change with an increase in the number of scholarships and with athletic scholarships at the Ivies.

I'd agree with this if you are getting yourself into a school that is killer in rankings, and is going to get you an engineering-type degree, or if you know as an athlete you want to be a lawyer or an accountant. 

Otherwise, the return on investment on a US college education is pretty trash right now.  I'm not saying it always has been, or it always will be that way, but colleges have become so egregiously profit-seeking, all but the very best have diluted their programs and the offerings into oblivion.  Grade inflation is also rapidly doing away with much of the value of a college transcript as well.  

In a world where many of the highest paying jobs available don't even require college, and a growing number are that way, the sorts of personalities who are capable of getting themselves onto college sports teams are the ones who have the innate capabilities to get themselves into other good positions as well.  

If you are an aggressive self-starter, responsible, and dedicated, all of which are must-haves to be a college athlete, you don't need college.  

And the Ivy does give athletic scholarships, they just aren't allowed to call it that.  The shape it takes is being admitted to the University with much lower grade standards and a comped education.  Ivies all have enormous endowments, and they use them in this way to get around the scholarship situation.  

• Fire 2

12 hours ago, TylerDurden said:

I'm all for unlimited transfers. 

So are we all ok with transferring anytime during the quarter or only during TV timeouts?  Surely we aren't  going to allow transfers during a live play or will we just eliminate the illegal substitution call?

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ionel said:

So are we all ok with transferring anytime during the quarter or only during TV timeouts?  Surely we aren't  going to allow transfers during a live play or will we just eliminate the illegal substitution call?

Wrestlers should be able to switch singlets to another team inbetween rounds if their agent agrees to a new NIL deal with a new team during action.  The result of that bout will then go toward the new team's score when they wrestle that team in a dual match. We may not know the final score of a dual meet until the end of the season, but we really need to do what's best for kids. 

4 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Wrestlers should be able to switch singlets to another team inbetween rounds if their agent agrees to a new NIL deal with a new team during action.  The result of that bout will then go toward the new team's score when they wrestle that team in a dual match. We may not know the final score of a dual meet until the end of the season, but we really need to do what's best for kids. 

Does this also mean we can finally have tag team wrestling?

6 minutes ago, ionel said:

Does this also mean we can finally have tag team wrestling?

Addendum: If a wrestler signs with a new team between rounds, the team he is leaving can insert a new wrestler into the match, thus resulting in what the common person would call "tag team wrestling."   

I am glad that you are thinking about what is best for the kids. 

4 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

I'd agree with this if you are getting yourself into a school that is killer in rankings, and is going to get you an engineering-type degree, or if you know as an athlete you want to be a lawyer or an accountant. 

Otherwise, the return on investment on a US college education is pretty trash right now.  I'm not saying it always has been, or it always will be that way, but colleges have become so egregiously profit-seeking, all but the very best have diluted their programs and the offerings into oblivion.  Grade inflation is also rapidly doing away with much of the value of a college transcript as well.  

In a world where many of the highest paying jobs available don't even require college, and a growing number are that way, the sorts of personalities who are capable of getting themselves onto college sports teams are the ones who have the innate capabilities to get themselves into other good positions as well.  

If you are an aggressive self-starter, responsible, and dedicated, all of which are must-haves to be a college athlete, you don't need college.  

And the Ivy does give athletic scholarships, they just aren't allowed to call it that.  The shape it takes is being admitted to the University with much lower grade standards and a comped education.  Ivies all have enormous endowments, and they use them in this way to get around the scholarship situation.  

Just out of curiosity I checked "Fields of Study " at my first alma mater (second doesn’t have wrestling).  You are right, there are many that would make Jeff Spicoli happy.  Of course there were some worthless majors when I went there 50 years ago, but not that many.  Sad.
How much these types of degrees are worth out in the world, I don't know.  I have no idea what jobs they would even be applicable to, except teaching those things.  Supply and Demand says they aren't worth much.
I always smile when I look at the wrestling rosters at some of the better schools and service academies and see majors like Engineering, Math, Finance, Pre-Med and Law.  The opportunities are there.

• Fire 1

On 12/7/2023 at 7:34 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

Unlimited transfers - even if between periods of a match.  FREE THE COLLEGIANS!!

Also, unlimited red shirts.  If it takes 16 years to get a degree a free collegian should be able to pursue his passion without the heavy hand of people with judgement and discretion getting in his way.