Sweet Lou Kachiroubas

Wrestleknownothing

As I am cleaning up the All-American database I keep finding interesting things. At least I think they are interesting. And I think @ILLINIWrestlingBlog and @IlliniWrestling will find this one interesting.

When going through the three time All-Americans list I came across Illinois' Lou Kachiroubas. What caught my eye was there was a seven year spread between his first and last AA. After Lou finished high school he worked to save money and then served in World War II. He finally entered UofI in 1946 at the tender age of 28 and immediately took second at 128 pounds. He repeated the feat in 1947 before dropping out of school, first to take a shot at the 1948 Olympics, and then to earn more money (could have used a little NIL, I am thinking).

He finally returned to UofI in 1951 and in 1952, at 34 years young, he took third at 123 pounds. While he did not wrestle in the 1953 NCAA tournament, Lou did finish fourth in the Big 10 tournament at 35 freakin' years old.

So when you feel a need to complain about grey shirt, red shirt, Olympic red shirt, Covid and injury years, just think of Sweet Lou Kachiroubas, and stop your belly aching.

https://iwcoa.net/hall-of-fame-2/lou-kachiroubas/

• Fire 4
  • Haha 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

7 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

As I am cleaning up the All-American database I keep finding interesting things. At least I think they are interesting. And I think @ILLINIWrestlingBlog and @IlliniWrestling will find this one interesting.

When going through the three time All-Americans list I came across Illinois' Lou Kachiroubas. What caught my eye was there was a seven year spread between his first and last AA. After Lou finished high school he worked to save money and then served in World War II. He finally entered UofI in 1946 at the tender age of 28 and immediately took second at 128 pounds. He repeated the feat in 1947 before dropping out of school, first to take a shot at the 1948 Olympics, and then to earn more money (could have used a little NIL, I am thinking).

He finally returned to UofI in 1951 and in 1952, at 34 years young, he took third at 123 pounds. While he did not wrestle in the 1953 NCAA tournament, Lou did finish fourth in the Big 10 tournament at 35 freakin' years old.

So when you feel a need to complain about grey shirt, red shirt, Olympic red shirt, Covid and injury years, just think of Sweet Lou Kachiroubas, and stop your belly aching.

Reported a few months ago on a similar one from OSU, pretty sure when came back wrestled Hodge.  I'd have to look it up again.  Was easier to find this stuff when wrestlingstats.com query was still functional. 

Edited by ionel
  • Fire 2

12 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I've researched ILLINI Olympic wrestlers before and others from the old times, but I never knew about Lou Kachiroubas. What a great story! I will look into it. Cheers and Thanks! 

33 minutes ago, ionel said:

Reported a few months ago on a similar one from OSU, pretty sure when came back wrestled Hodge.  I'd have to look it up again.  Was easier to find this stuff when wrestlingstats.com query was still functional. 

Which query are you referring to? I noticed a problem with some of the Lehigh stuff about a year ago with some queries. I think it was when the site was migrated which changed some parameters. We don't have the data updated for some time (depends on which database we're talking about) since Jay passed away. JDA and I kept working on the Lehigh database and brackets for NCAA/EIWA. Some of the NCAA database stuff is still there. I'll look at the database login info and see if I can update it.

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Which query are you referring to? I noticed a problem with some of the Lehigh stuff about a year ago with some queries. I think it was when the site was migrated which changed some parameters. We don't have the data updated for some time (depends on which database we're talking about) since Jay passed away. JDA and I kept working on the Lehigh database and brackets for NCAA/EIWA. Some of the NCAA database stuff is still there. I'll look at the database login info and see if I can update it.

The query to search OSU and Lehigh individual records etc doesn't work now.

9 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

A little different than "greyshirting" and "redshirting" in order to gain a competitive advantage.  This man gave up years of his life to fight against one of the greatest evils the world has ever known.  I don't think that should be trivialized in the slightest.

Yes, the spread of years is interesting, but fighting Hitler/Tojo should not be made light of.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

22 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

A little different than "greyshirting" and "redshirting" in order to gain a competitive advantage.  This man gave up years of his life to fight against one of the greatest evils the world has ever known.  I don't think that should be trivialized in the slightest.

Yes, the spread of years is interesting, but fighting Hitler/Tojo should not be made light of.

Did I give you the vapors?

Fight For Your Right Reaction GIF by Beastie Boys

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

7 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Did I give you the vapors?

Fight For Your Right Reaction GIF by Beastie Boys

Not sure what you're talking about? You literally tried to equivocate someone greyshirting to a man fighting fascism and ultranationalism.

I'm not saying you are team-Axis, but the Greatest Generation deserves a little respect.  The info was interesting; the context- not so much. Also, not coming after you specifically, I would have made that post regardless of the OP.

(and your silly little meme isn't helping you; in fact makes your original post a bit more contemptible. )

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

2 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Not sure what you're talking about? You literally tried to equivocate someone greyshirting to a man fighting fascism and ultranationalism.

I'm not saying you are team-Axis, but the Greatest Generation deserves a little respect.  The info was interesting; the context- not so much. Also, not coming after you specifically, I would have made that post regardless of the OP.

(and your silly little meme isn't helping you; in fact makes your original post a bit more contemptible. )

@Gus

This is another perfect example of a Straw Man's Fallacy.

IaW?  He isn't belittling any attempt at eliminating Evil by anybody.  You are looking for a problem and you should calm your tits about it.  You're quickly making yourself appear the part of a turdbiscuit.  Not one other person on this forum would have assumed the worst, as you did.  Please stop.  Just... don't.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Just now, nhs67 said:

@Gus

This is another perfect example of a Straw Man's Fallacy.

IaW?  He isn't belittling any attempt at eliminating Evil by anybody.  You are looking for a problem and you should calm your tits about it.  You're quickly making yourself appear the part of a turdbiscuit.  Not one other person on this forum would have assumed the worst, as you did.  Please stop.  Just... don't.

He literally said "stop bellyaching about greyshirts and covid years," because this guy took years off to fight WW2.  

Sorry, I don't let that crap slide.

4 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

He literally said "stop bellyaching about greyshirts and covid years," because this guy took years off to fight WW2.  

I don't think you understand the definition of "literally."

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

2 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Again... you're barking up a tree looking for toxic energy when you don't need to be.  Doing so tells us more about your insufficiencies than anything you're actually trying to say.

Also, again:  Not one soul who was going to read this was going to lead off and assume the worst with whatever sort of pineapple may be up your ass this morning.

Drag it out.  You're actually belittling the post that is also giving the same guy a shit tonne of praise and recognition.

Today is Day 1 of the best in-season tournament of the season.  Focus your energy there.

Just now, nhs67 said:

Again... you're barking up a tree looking for toxic energy when you don't need to be.  Doing so tells us more about your insufficiencies than anything you're actually trying to say.

Also, again:  Not one soul who was going to read this was going to lead off and assume the worst with whatever sort of pineapple may be up your ass this morning.

Drag it out.  You're actually belittling the post that is also giving the same guy a shit tonne of praise and recognition.

Today is Day 1 of the best in-season tournament of the season.  Focus your energy there.

Agreed.  It was a good post until the "bellyaching" part.  Probably should have left that out.  I wasn't looking for toxicity, but admittedly have been focusing a lot of my energies into the study of WWII recently.  Perhaps that made me a bit more sensitive?

Have a great weekend.

7 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Agreed.  It was a good post until the "bellyaching" part.  Probably should have left that out.  I wasn't looking for toxicity, but admittedly have been focusing a lot of my energies into the study of WWII recently.  Perhaps that made me a bit more sensitive?

Have a great weekend.

It is a good post.  Quit being a cunt about it.

• Fire 1

10 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I see your point @Interviewed_at_Weehawken  of the comparison.... but I am not sure it was intended to mean that. Only @Wrestleknownothing can answer that.    I would chalk it up to poor wording, as I "think" he was trying to show Lou in a very good light having served in the war and work his way through college. Just my take. 

• Fire 2

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 minute ago, Idaho said:

I see your point @Interviewed_at_Weehawken  of the comparison.... but I am not sure it was intended to mean that. Only @Wrestleknownothing can answer that.    I would chalk it up to poor wording, as I "think" he was trying to show Lou in a very good light having served in the war and work his way through college. Just my take. 

Thank you, sir.  Your make good points.

• Fire 1

Just now, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Thank you, sir.  Your make good points.

I am like you... strong supporter of military and those who sacrificed. My grandpa flew 35 missions to bomb Germany in 1944-45. He missed my aunt being born ...so I understand your strong feelings about those who served. 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

2 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I am like you... strong supporter of military and those who sacrificed. My grandpa flew 35 missions to bomb Germany in 1944-45. He missed my aunt being born ...so I understand your strong feelings about those who served. 

Thanks goodness for men like your grandfather.  35 missions is a tall order! 

Listening to Rob Koll talk about his father in WWII is also very inspiring.  I think Koll stated that the only trophies on display in his home are Bill Koll's medals.