The REAL US Open starts tonight

Everyone always complains about the equipment of wrestling being a barrier of entry to the sport, but swimming is going to pull in 3x viewership on a number of aggregated live streams with half the clothes.

Are you listening USAW?

Peacock + Youtube + CNBC + NBC + USA Swimming Network.

You know what I don't see? FloSwimming.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

3 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Everyone always complains about the equipment of wrestling being a barrier of entry to the sport, but swimming is going to pull in 3x viewership on a number of aggregated live streams with half the clothes.

Are you listening USAW?

Peacock + Youtube + CNBC + NBC + USA Swimming Network.

You know what I don't see? FloSwimming.

Thank God for that.

For those of you who were busy, Katie Ledecky did Katie Ledecky things. Started in front and stretched her lead every single 50. She is amazing. She is on an 11 year unbeaten streak at the distance AND SHE IS ONLY 26. While she did not swim her fastest (or close to it) it means she still only has the fastest 30 times ever at the distance.

Sadly, Bobby Finke did not do Bobby Finke things and finished third in the opening heat. Finke is the king of the negative split, but he got badly beaten over the second half of the race by Ohio State's Charlie Clarke.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Can you explain this sport?

Some people in latex underwear, bug eyes, and tight hats jump into a giant indoor puddle.  They are moving their arms… flapping like giant wings… and kicking  legs as if they are trying to shoo away an invisible swarm of bees…

Just keep flapping and kicking.

Then they get to the edge of the puddle… and stop… climb out… and pretend like nothing weird just happened.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jross said:

Can you explain this sport?

Some people in latex underwear, bug eyes, and tight hats jump into a giant indoor puddle.  They are moving their arms… flapping like giant wings… and kicking  legs as if they are trying to shoo away an invisible swarm of bees…

Just keep flapping and kicking.

Then they get to the edge of the puddle… and stop… climb out… and pretend like nothing weird just happened.

Posted on a *wrestling* forum.  Oh, the irony.

(at my fastest ever as a Masters swimmer, I could have stayed with Ledecky for any 100m other than her first in that 800m)

• Fire 2

For those who think sitting through an all-day wrestling tournament is bad, let me invite you to join me at my son's 3-day meet in Raleigh tomorrow thru Sunday. It's an assembly line of heats for hours on end until your kid swims. Then, all he or she has to do is perform at or better than past performance unless you want people to openly ask what's going on with their training, health, home life, etc. Good times.

BTW, Big Red, 51.3 is a 90th percentile time in the 100 Free SCY for high school boys even today. Would've gotten you into my son's meet this weekend. You were better than you're letting on.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.gomotionapp.com/ymca-4598/UserFiles/Image/QuickUpload/2023-capital-classic-time-standards_053238.pdf

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

18 minutes ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

For those who think sitting through an all-day wrestling tournament is bad, let me invite you to join me at my son's 3-day meet in Raleigh tomorrow thru Sunday. It's an assembly line of heats for hours on end until your kid swims. Then, all he or she has to do is perform at or better than past performance unless you want people to openly ask what's going on with their training, health, home life, etc. Good times.

BTW, Big Red, 51.3 is a 90th percentile time in the 100 Free SCY for high school boys even today. Would've gotten you into my son's meet this weekend. You were better than you're letting on.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.gomotionapp.com/ymca-4598/UserFiles/Image/QuickUpload/2023-capital-classic-time-standards_053238.pdf

The day I turned 16 my parents could not give me the keys to the car fast enough so that they did not have to sit in a chlorine sauna anymore.

Any chance your son is a 15-18 distance swimmer and you get the pleasure of sitting around until the last event on Sunday?

I got good at fractions by doing them in my head while swimming 1650's and 1500's.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

My son's swimming background is pretty unique - a former summer only swimmer who was finally convinced to swim club/year round last year as a high school sophomore. His strengths are sprint free and fly. We missed all of the distance rites of passage. He has never, and probably never will, swim anything longer than 200. So, unless I'm officiating, we get to leave meets early, which is very nice.

Edited by Voice of the Quakers
  • Fire 1

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

I joined the local neighborhood swim team my junior year to stay in shape over the summer.   They did a 500 yd warmup.   I think I got maybe 150 yds and the warm up was done.   By the end, I was up to 350 yds for the warmup.   My first race was a 100 yd medly.   I came in dead last and could hardly get myself out of the pool.   I'm not a great swimmer, but the one thing I did learn was how to relax while swimming.   I could have done 500 for a warm up given enough time.   But they were impatient.  

I do remember some 8 year old girl had the most amazing butterfly stroke I had personally ever seen.   It was a thing a beauty.   I tried it and it was horrible, way to much energy and drowning with that stroke.

mspart

• Fire 1

I won't say I "made" my son swim. I did tell him certain life skills were mandatory: swimming and self-defense. (He has a youth black belt in jiujitsu. I wish he had the mentality for wrestling. He's simply a much nicer person than I am.)

My kid 'quit" swimming many times. He would conveniently "forget" his swimsuit for practice when he was first learning to swim; I, of course, would always carry a spare. After a while, we continued to make him swim because he would not play any other sport and, by golly, he was going to do something for exercise.

In 8th grade, he made the county all-star team. He told me, "Hey, I think I'm pretty good at this." To which my sarcastic response was, "You think?" Still took him a another year plus to recognize his talent.

• Fire 2

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

My daughter learned how to swim before joining the swim club.

At the first club practice, while swimming laps, my wife said our child got out of the pool and refused to return.  

Disbelief.  After the second club practice, I told my wife that our child got out of the pool and refused to return. 

My child fitted in public, twice.  

The End.

Epilogue

My child is a hard worker... in softball... as a catcher.

Swimming laps is hard work!

Edited by jross

46 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Swimming is dumb. Do you know how denigrating it is to be top 5% on the bike and top 3 on the run but because you're such a slow swimmer you don't even finish in the top 60 of a triathlon?

I won my AG in triathlons many times with a margin of victory smaller than my lead coming out of the water.  Sucks to be you.  🙂

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Swimming is dumb. Do you know how denigrating it is to be top 5% on the bike and top 3 on the run but because you're such a slow swimmer you don't even finish in the top 60 of a triathlon?

Definition of a first world problem!!

mspart