I'll say Megalaudis takes out Lee

Hammerlock3

Not anxious to be correct, because Lee is the one who can win the olympics, but Mega is so long and stingy, he can slow the match down without looking like he's stalling, if his doors aren't blown off in the first period he'll find a way. again I very much want to see Lee redeemed, call it a hot take.

• Fire 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

Finals are up next after the speeches, I think.

Oh — regarding Mega — he is an incredible role model.  Amazing that he has a career and he is staying in such good wrestling shape.  

That said, I am assuming he really does work a full time job (I’ll say 30+ hours a week). 

Edited by Dark Energy
  • Fire 1

After Spencer Lee beat the child, he seemed like a world beater. But then the Iowa phenom had to face a veteran part-timer and got a little red-faced in the second. He won a one-takedown match. Final score was 7-4 as a last-second Megaludis challenge was lost. I think the scouting report is:

1.  Shoot the angles. Make him keep turning on his knee. 

2. Finish quick (and preferably around) Lee or hold on for a stalemate. 

3. Have him try to push your grounded weight out of bounds. Lilledahl did this pretty well. 

4. Get to the second period. Mega did this very well. I think it was 2-0 Spencer at the break. 

5. If he takes you down, fall with your arms and legs spread-eagled (Lightening Luke gave up the trapped-arm guts).

6. Make him work for his gut or lace. Tire him out. 

7. He's got chubby ankles. Grab em. 

8. Time his clubs as he's off balance. Spencer puts a lot of force into them, and that will naturally affect his balance. 

Now, I hope to hear from the board experts about their "Spencer Lee Scouting Report." 

• Fire 1

17 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

After Spencer Lee beat the child, he seemed like a world beater. But then the Iowa phenom had to face a veteran part-timer and got a little red-faced in the second. He won a one-takedown match. Final score was 7-4 as a last-second Megaludis challenge was lost. I think the scouting report is:

1.  Shoot the angles. Make him keep turning on his knee. 

2. Finish quick (and preferably around) Lee or hold on for a stalemate. 

3. Have him try to push your grounded weight out of bounds. Lilledahl did this pretty well. 

4. Get to the second period. Mega did this very well. I think it was 2-0 Spencer at the break. 

5. If he takes you down, fall with your arms and legs spread-eagled (Lightening Luke gave up the trapped-arm guts).

6. Make him work for his gut or lace. Tire him out. 

7. He's got chubby ankles. Grab em. 

8. Time his clubs as he's off balance. Spencer puts a lot of force into them, and that will naturally affect his balance. 

Now, I hope to hear from the board experts about their "Spencer Lee Scouting Report." 

Great analysis. How do are feeling about Zane's chances against Spencer next April? The gas tank strategy rings familiar. I didn't see Spencer compete today, so I can't tell if he needs to work on his conditioning or if he's still a little banged up (is that what #1 is referring to?). OTOH, Spencer has looked pretty jacked on social media lately (ADS too) so I like the potential of bigger stronger freestyle Lee. 

Similarly, people were saying Nolf looked out of shape today but he did just fine and I'm sure we'll see a far more improved version of what we saw today when trials rolls around.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Great analysis. How do are feeling about Zane's chances against Spencer next April? The gas tank strategy rings familiar. I didn't see Spencer compete today, so I can't tell if he needs to work on his conditioning or if he's still a little banged up (is that what #1 is referring to?). OTOH, Spencer has looked pretty jacked on social media lately (ADS too) so I like the potential of bigger stronger freestyle Lee. 

Similarly, people were saying Nolf looked out of shape today but he did just fine and I'm sure we'll see a far more improved version of what we saw today when trials rolls around.

I can't wait to see it, CHROMEBIRD! The OTT will be spectacular if everybody shows up and is healthy. Since his college days, the scouting report has been to fatigue Spencer. That probably has a lot to do with trying to train with injuries. 

As for Lee's conditioning, it was obviously adequate. Megaludis scored later in the second period when the Hawkeye was a little tuckered out. I would've loved to see Lilledahl make it to the second period because Spencer's effort in the first period in that match was extraordinary. In my opinion, there was no way he wouldn't have cratered. He was just putting in too much effort. 

Yes, he looks jacked. 

As for #1, I just think you have to get him moving side to side because of the knee issues. Megaludis tried the head-on approach, and that didn't work in the first period. Finally, I didn't see Nolf wrestle, so I can't comment on that. Cheers! 

14 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

• Fire 4

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The thing I found most hopeful was that there was only one knee sleave, no braces, and when Megaludis torqued on the sleaved knee in the first 30 seconds there appeared to be no issues for Lee. No grimace, no limp, no shaking it off, just return to center and go.

And then it looked like he tried to return the favor…

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Thanks for posting the vid. I disagree with an earlier comment that Lilledahl could've done much better if he made it to the second period. You could see that Lil Luke had nothing for Spencer's grown man strength. Megaludis too, he was getting to Spencer's legs but couldn't really finish. Mega is pretty slick with his scrambles, doing the splits and contorting himself, but Lee was too strong (but that first leg lace defense was impressive). Spencer completely owned his ground and didn't cede an inch of territory.

• Fire 1