The Pan Am Games

There's even more Olympic-style wrestling right around the corner. The wrestling portion of the Pan Am Games starts on Wednesday, November 1 at 9:00 am (Eastern), 8:00 am (Central). There is a free streaming service that will supposedly cover all of the matches. It requires a signup. I've already signed up and tested it out: Flo should give them a call. Here's the link

I've watched a little of the Opening Ceremonies, some volleyball and some handballish-type thing. Video was clear, uninterrupted, and there were English-speaking commentators. 

Lots of world teamers in the mix, even though this isn't an Olympic qualifier. Of course, I'm most interested in the ILLINI, IRTC and ILLINOIS folk, including Zane, Zac, Kennedy, Kamal and Joe Rau. Still, Kyle Snyder will be adding to his trophy room, and although Nick Lee and Helen Maroulis are scratches, we've now got Nashon Garrett and Xochitl Mota-Pettis to watch. 

And since the wrestling starts on National Singlet Day:

ILLINIWRESTLING765.jpg

• Haha 1

Found it.   https://www.themat.com/news/2023/october/26/mota-pettis-golston-garrett-added-to-u-s-roster-for-pan-american-games

Not sending our best to the Games.   I thought for the Pan Am Games, we sent our main team.   I guess we'll see how they do. 

Men’s freestyle roster

57 kg – Zane Richards (Champaign, Illinois/Titan Mercury WC/Illinois RTC)

65 kg – Nahshon Garrett (Bethlehem, Pennsylvania/Titan Mercury WC/Lehigh Valley WC)

74 kg – Tyler Berger (Lincoln, Nebraska/Sunkist Kids WC/Pennsylvania RTC)

86 kg – Mark Hall (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania/Titan Mercury WC/Pennsylvania RTC)

97 kg – Kyle Snyder (State College, Pennsylvania/Titan Mercury WC/Nittany Lion WC)

125 kg – Mason Parris (Lawrenceburg, Indiana/Titan Mercury WC/Cliff Keen WC)

Coach – Bill Zadick (Colorado Springs, Colorado)

Coach – Joe Russell (Colorado Springs, Colorado)

Coach – Jake Varner (Port Matilda, Pennsylvania)

Team Leader – Rich Tavoso (New York City, New York)

Greco-Roman roster

60 kg – Ildar Hafizov (Colorado Springs, Colorado/U.S. Army WCAP)

77 kg – Kamal Bey (Colorado Springs, Colorado/U.S. Army WCAP)

87 kg – Zac Braunagel (O’Fallon, Illinois/Illini WC/Illinois RTC)

97 kg – Josef Rau (Chicago, Illinois/Titan Mercury WC/Wildcat WC)

130 kg – Cohlton Schultz (Parker, Colorado/Sunkist Kids WC)

Coach – Justin Ruiz (Colorado Springs, Colorado)

Coach – Herb House (Colorado Springs, Colorado)

Coach – Spenser Mango (Colorado Springs, Colorado)

Team Leader – Josh Weintraub (New York City, New York)

Women’s freestyle roster

50 kg – Erin Golston (Lake In The Hills, Illinois/New York AC)

53 kg – Samara Chavez (Arlington, Texas/Team Tornado WC)

57 kg – Xochitl Mota-Pettis (Humble, Texas/Rise RTC)

62 kg – Kayla Miracle (Tempe, Arizona/Sunkist Kids WC)

68 kg – Forrest Molinari (Tempe, Arizona/Sunkist Kids WC)

76 kg – Kennedy Blades (Chicago, Illinois/Sunkist Kids WC)

Coach – Terry Steiner (Colorado Springs, Colorado)

Coach – Katie Kreibel (Colorado Springs, Colorado)

Coach – Nate Engel (Albany, Oregon)

Team Leader – Cody Bickley (Colorado Springs, Colorado)

• Fire 2

Yeah, he was really pretty good, he was tough, and he was fun to watch.   Every now and then I think of him  and really wished he was able to climb that ladder a bit higher.   He got higher than most ever do, so that is something.   Pretty unique character. '

I thought he was an Illini, but I see he wrestled for Indiana.   Sorry for getting that mixed up.  

image.jpeg.0d1cebd6fb2b126aa3560eec0edd1c73.jpeg

mspart

Edited by mspart
  • Fire 1

Mason Paris on the mat now. :10 takedown. He's wrestling the Dominican Republic. Already 8-0 with another takedown and gut wrenches. Four point double-leg makes it a 12-0 tech fall. 

Couple other observations:

First, they have two mats and only one camera, which points only at one mat. That's bad. Maybe Flo doesn't need these guys? 

Second, the announcer is a damn Scot. I hate Scots. Red noses. Slurred speech. Dark hearts. Most importantly, this Scot is hardly mentioning what's taking place on the other mat. Did Puerto Rico's Darian Cruz win? Don't know. 

Third, they always show the rules in graphic form. They called it a "pin" when the shoulders were held to the mat for one second. They also called it a "drop." What? Anybody heard of that before? 

Berger up now against Venezuela. Quick ankle grab from Berger. 2-0 USA. Berger with a passivity point. 3-0 USA. Venezuela with a takedown cutting it to 3-2. Venezuela in on another single, but Berger chest wraps him over for two. 5-2 final. 

My favorite memory of Tyler Berger: Him getting pissed off that he didn't beat IMAR. Delusional, bruh. 

Berger versus Valencia (Mexico). In first :10 Berger is warned for hands to the face. He points at Valencia apparently blaming him for putting his face on his hand. Berger with takedown and two back points. 4-0, but a challenge. Challenge won. I would've scored it 4-2, but it is now 2-2. Berger with a takedown and three guts. 10-2 USA. Break. 

Berger takedown, Valencia reversal 12-3. Match should've stopped there at 12-2. Berger with a double for 4. 16-3, challenge requested. (He either got the takedown or a stepout. Match should be over in either case. Challenge lost. 17-3 USA. 

Well... since you mentioned the cat forgetting its national singlet day (because he's a cat), these cats didn't forget!

image.thumb.png.69d63396d9d47b115054148b968637d3.png

Former wrestlers?  I dunno about that.

But they seem to like cats.

D3

Edited by D3 for LU
  • Haha 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.