Who faces the toughest test to repeat?

Wrestleknownothing

Toughest Road  

43 members have voted

1. 1. With four returning champions this year, who has the toughest road to repeat?

• Vito Arujau
    • Keegan O'Toole
    • Carter Starocci
    • Aaron Brooks

I also agree that KOT will be tested for sure. The 165 bracket will be full of land amines and carr bombs but... KOT is KOT, and I don't think he has a greater chance of NOT repeating than some of the others. I know that's all obvious, I mostly wanted an excuse to say Carr bomb and land Amine.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Brooks. And not because of Ford Focus, who had 4-2 and 3-2 matches in the finals in 2021, nearly died in a car wreck and has been away from the sport for two years. Moreover, there's a question whether he wrestles anyways. 

On top of all that, there'd be the Ford Focus circus every week. 

197 is deep. Also, the ankles are going to be a lot farther away. On top of that, you have to control the ties to get to those ankles. Harder to push around these 197-pound beasts. 

Tough question, though.

As of now, he's the only one of the four moving up in weight. That means things will change for him. Change can be good or bad.

After watching him get in on Valencia and David Taylor I'm fairly certain there isn't anyone at 197 that can stop him in neutral.  With the 3 point takedown he should have an easy time at the weight.  He can cut and score.  Now, Ferrari is the one man with the defense to cause problems

• Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

37 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

After watching him get in on Valencia and David Taylor I'm fairly certain there isn't anyone at 197 that can stop him in neutral.  With the 3 point takedown he should have an easy time at the weight.  He can cut and score.  Now, Ferrari is the one man with the defense to cause problems

I've changed my mind. I just watched the Intermat interview of Lucas Byrd, and it sounds like he's gonna wrestle this season. A pissed off Lucas Byrd wins it all! 

ILLINIWRESTLING709.jpg

• Fire 2

16 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Starocci will be tested for the same reason as Vito. They're going to want to stay within striking distance of their FS weights. 

What's interesting is that Starocci may wrestle a very minimal season, to the point that it could affect his NCAA seeding. I believe he hasn't qualified for OTTs yet, so he may duck out in March(?) for the last chance qualifier at either 74 or 86kg, both a ways off from 174lbs, and if he doesn't win there I think he will have to win an NCAA title to qualify. 

Vito on the other hand, has a much deeper bracket at 133 but there's less at stake. He's already qualified for OTTs. An NCAA title would be gravy on his way towards his bigger goal.

You bet your ass he will be at the BF.  Top 7 (?) US who aren't qualified, qualify there.

I don't know/think that means you have to go the weight you are qualified for.  He could essentially enter 86 KG, place, then drop down to 74 KG for OTT.

The only thing I believe locks you in, as far as weight goes, is...
- Bye to the semi-finals must be a medalist at an adjacent weight
- Bye to the best of three finals must be the olympic medalist at that weight

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

18 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

You bet your ass he will be at the BF.  Top 7 (?) US who aren't qualified, qualify there.

I don't know/think that means you have to go the weight you are qualified for.  He could essentially enter 86 KG, place, then drop down to 74 KG for OTT.

The only thing I believe locks you in, as far as weight goes, is...
- Bye to the semi-finals must be a medalist at an adjacent weight
- Bye to the best of three finals must be the olympic medalist at that weight

Confirmed (Bill Farrell is one of the "methods" referenced):  

An athlete who has qualified to compete in the 2024 U.S. Olympic Trials – Wrestling through any of the methods outlined above may declare any weight category he chooses to compete in at trials regardless of the weight category in which he qualified.

16 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Starocci will be tested for the same reason as Vito. They're going to want to stay within striking distance of their FS weights. 

What's interesting is that Starocci may wrestle a very minimal season, to the point that it could affect his NCAA seeding. I believe he hasn't qualified for OTTs yet, so he may duck out in March(?) for the last chance qualifier at either 74 or 86kg, both a ways off from 174lbs, and if he doesn't win there I think he will have to win an NCAA title to qualify. 

Vito on the other hand, has a much deeper bracket at 133 but there's less at stake. He's already qualified for OTTs. An NCAA title would be gravy on his way towards his bigger goal.

I think the plan will be to qualify via the US Open. That is what they did in the last Olympic cycle with guys like Nick Lee, Vincenzo Joseph, and maybe others.

From Casey Cunnigham's season opening newsletter:

"This first semester we do not compete as much as in past years because the US Open, which is an Olympic Trials Qualifier, is in December and we want to give our guys that want to compete the opportunity to do that."

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

My hunch is Starocci qualifies at Senior Nationals (nee US Open this year) for 86kg then will attempt to go for another 174 title which will allow him the opportunity to attempt to make 74kg for OTT. I just don't see the Carl squad letting him try to cut down to 74kg in December and additionally put all his eggs in one basket.

i am an idiot on the internet

17 minutes ago, FearTheTurtle said:

Do any of them have any significant injuries from the off-season that will keep them off the mat for a while? That will be the one with the toughest test. It won’t be any opponents but his own self confidence 

didn’t Star have some sort of knee injury? 

No talk of it that I have seen on Happy Valley Insider (old BWI)

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge