Progressives vs liberals

mspart

1 minute ago, ionel said:

ftfy but Ban prefers to be called ma'am.

I'm cozy in my own skin,  ma'am. It won't bother me one iota.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

18 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

why are lefties so against achievement and accountability?

the only thing you care about is protecting your fragility. 

the soccer mom mentality is practically your entire ethos. 

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Protecting fragility is the hallmark of conservatism. Embracing difference and the struggle to grow is not a conservative principle. 

These accusations sounds an awful lot like confessions.

• Fire 2

11 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Protecting fragility is the hallmark of conservatism. Embracing difference and the struggle to grow is not a conservative principle. 

These accusations sounds an awful lot like confessions.

Care to explain more?  How do you view conservatives as protecting fragility as their hallmark?  And how do conservatives not embrace differences?  

2 hours ago, Bigbrog said:

Awww...man...I would have so traveled to Pennsylvania to see this!!  I would have put a grand on Husker...easy money.

But I'd settle for not having to read his crap....

Without having one idea of who I am and the size differential. 

There'd be some wise betting!

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

54 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

How do you view conservatives as protecting fragility as their hallmark?  

That's all the thirty percenters have done since the advent of the biggest self-proclaimed "victim" in our country's history. 

Self- reflection lacks AGAIN.

1 hour ago, Bigbrog said:

Care to explain more?  How do you view conservatives as protecting fragility as their hallmark?  And how do conservatives not embrace differences?  

Idk, to start they shit their pants every time someone says America's past might not be perfectly rosy.

They throw fits about gay people kissing in commercials or on TV.

They're currently obsessed with banning books that present opinions they don't agree with.

The mere presence of a trans woman in a beer ad induced a months long psychosis.

Currently, they're trying to get people who don't uncritically support Israel fired from their jobs (some liberal zionists are doing this alongside them too tbf).

There was once a week long scandal because Obama wore a tan suit.

Aggrievement is the central emotion of Conservatism.

• Fire 2

50 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Idk, to start they shit their pants every time someone says America's past might not be perfectly rosy.

They throw fits about gay people kissing in commercials or on TV.

They're currently obsessed with banning books that present opinions they don't agree with.

The mere presence of a trans woman in a beer ad induced a months long psychosis.

Currently, they're trying to get people who don't uncritically support Israel fired from their jobs (some liberal zionists are doing this alongside them too tbf).

There was once a week long scandal because Obama wore a tan suit.

A-frickin-men!

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

Bernie, we are delighted to have you on "It's always sunny in IntermatForums."

Your last comments were as dumb and generalized as anyone's on the show.  

Edited by jross

6 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

And, most importantly, immutable.

And whenever they're reminded that this isn't true, that's where the aggrievement comes in.

"They're letting gay people get married? That's an attack on MY marriage!"

"My favorite beer is advertising with a trans woman? That's an insult to ME!"

"Obama wore a tan suit? He doesn't respect ME!"

• Fire 2

What do American's mean when they say they are conservative?  (see link for list).  I share these views from that list:

• Yes: 1, 2, 5, 8-10, 14-21
  • No: 4, 6, 7, 11
  • Part: 3, 12, 13

As a conservative, I support that America is an exceptional nation but it has no rightful role as leader of the free world.  I seek out the broader knowledge of America's past and have mentioned such with references to the book 'lies my teacher told me.'  

Further, I've been told that conservatives are assholes that have no emotion, so how could their central emotion be aggrievement

1 minute ago, jross said:

What do American's mean when they say they are conservative?  (see link for list).  I share these views from that list:

• Yes: 1, 2, 5, 8-10, 14-21
  • No: 4, 6, 7, 11
  • Part: 3, 12, 13

As a conservative, I support that America is an exceptional nation but it has no rightful role as leader of the free world.  I seek out the broader knowledge of America's past and have mentioned such with references to the book 'lies my teacher told me.'  

Further, I've been told that conservatives are assholes that have no emotion, so how could their central emotion be aggrievement

I think there's a difference between the definition of conservative you've taken on for yourself and how "conservatives in america" actually act more broadly. 

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Bigbrog said:

Conservative averse to change. We are flawed; individually, societally, and governmentally. Conservatives work to stymie the new ideas, technology, cultural advancement, and/or governmental assistance meant for the bettering of those flaws. 

Fragility. Why try to keep things from changing if not for fear of breaking either, themselves or the group? I am not of that mindset. If I am wrong please offer another point of view as an option? Any specific examples, how conservatism helped, and the benefit in the outcome? 

If you are honest, even asking the third question is laughable. But maybe you are, in that case.  Examples: no immigration reform ideas and , tax cuts that benefit the rich and super rich,  Government ID's for voting, Gerrymandering(granted not exclusive to that political ideology, but haven't heard a State or Federal court strike down a liberal election map because it was discriminated on racial lines with Surgical Precision ), conservatives 'otherize' just about everyone, trying to scare their supporters into thinking that the next boogie man(gay people, immigrants, trans people, homeless people) is coming for them and that they are the only ones that can stand up to them. 

Doesn't seem very inclusive. So again, I laugh in your general direction and eagerly anticipate your rebuttal. 

4 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

I think there's a difference between the definition of conservative you've taken on for yourself and how "conservatives in america" actually act more broadly. 

Each 'conservative' is likely to hold different beliefs.  If we are going to generalize...

Conservatives largely just want to be left alone.  Other aggrieved people try to protect their fragility by raising taxes and using big government to redistribute conservative wealth to those with fragile needs.  

• Fire 1

59 minutes ago, jross said:

Bernie, we are delighted to have you on "It's always sunny in IntermatForums."

Your last comments were as dumb and generalized as anyone's on the show.  

Rebut them or be quiet. The handwaving of points that disprove your own is tired. Its a trick to get noncritical thinkers that already agree with you to agree with you and to not have to address the actual points because you think you can't and will look foolish to even try. I'm calling you out and will continue to challenge you to back it up or handwave yourself to another site to troll someone else. 

3 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Rebut them or be quiet. The handwaving of points that disprove your own is tired. Its a trick to get noncritical thinkers that already agree with you to agree with you and to not have to address the actual points because you think you can't and will look foolish to even try. I'm calling you out and will continue to challenge you to back it up or handwave yourself to another site to troll someone else. 

I am waiting for you to answer my question and justify your position on the book ban conversation.  I've given you justifications that you do not agree with and say "no."

I've already agreed with Bernie in general, my point is that he is generalizing and I'm giving him a hard time about it.  Typically Bernie comments with nuance; he is not doing so here.  

Edited by jross

Just now, jross said:

Each 'conservative' is likely to hold different beliefs.  If we are going to generalize...

Conservatives largely just want to be left alone.  Other aggrieved people try to protect their fragility by raising taxes and using big government to redistribute conservative wealth to those with fragile needs.  

To the privileged, equality feels like oppression. How is what you said differ from this saying? Because it seems like that is exactly what they fight against. If everyone is equal then their wealth doesn't equate to as much power. Why should people have as much power as wealthy people do? And you can't say that they don't because one vote is one vote. Money has been ruled to equal speech. 735 people own as much speech as the bottom 50%. The top 1%(or 3m+ people) own 16x more speech than the bottom 50%. 

And you know(or at least I hope you do) that some of those 50% have no choice in where or how they grow up and what kind of opportunities they get in their situation. Can they get lucky? Sure. But that's a crappy way of dismissing their fixable situation. If they had more money for education to start(free breakfast and lunch at school to every student, UBI for kids). 

Many wealthy people did not earn their wealth but still benefit from it, work to increase it, and use it to help loosen the rules in order to make it easier to build and maintain. Some of the horrendous things they do to horde their wealth should make you sick. Why doesn't it? 

Who is in a better position to learn, influence, and benefit from the complicated rules of finance? The wealthy.

With all things being equal, I support the side with less power and influence.