Things my teacher said.

jross

19 minutes ago, jross said:

Biology teacher: The point of life is to spread your seed far and wide.

Celebrate Hell Yeah GIF by Pit Viper

Ironically,  such talk would be canceled by authoritarian cancel culture today.

• Fire 1

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

1 minute ago, Ban Basketball said:

Ironically,  such talk would be canceled by an authoritarian cancel culture today.

This was at a public university.

I also had a philosophy instructor from a public community college say: "Show your hands if you believe in god.  [two hands go up, including mine] By the end of this course, nobody will."

I was in a programming class taught by an instructor I did not like.  He pulled me aside one day in the lab:  "JROSS, you don't seem interested in this class.  Stop thinking about how boring this assignment is and think about what you can do with the skill."  He then described the Internet of Things before IOT existed.  I worked harder on that assignment than any programming assignment before.  The teacher came back and praised the quality of my work.  

TLDR; "Find the Why."

2 hours ago, jross said:

This was at a public university.

I also had a philosophy instructor from a public community college say: "Show your hands if you believe in god.  [two hands go up, including mine] By the end of this course, nobody will."

Well,  certainly in Iowa, that isn't cancelled YET at our colleges and universities. 

I love what the philostopher did! Great engagement,  and great teaching!

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

I was in 20th century history in HS, the teacher was a hard nose but I did well in his class.   We were looking at the Soviet bread basket, a huge area where all the food is grown.   He showed a 16mm movie that detailed some of this and it was in color.   I raised my hand and said that I didn't believe this was the Soviet Union because I thought it was in black and white.   He gave me a pretty mean look as I was smiling at my joke. 

He actually was one of the best teachers I had in HS, but his manner was very intimidating. 

He told us that in war you don't want to get shot in the butt.   It doesn't stop bleeding and you have to be on your gut while in recovery.   I'm guessing he spoke from experience.  Not sure.  

mspart

40 minutes ago, mspart said:

I was in 20th century history in HS, the teacher was a hard nose but I did well in his class.   We were looking at the Soviet bread basket, a huge area where all the food is grown.   He showed a 16mm movie that detailed some of this and it was in color.   I raised my hand and said that I didn't believe this was the Soviet Union because I thought it was in black and white.   He gave me a pretty mean look as I was smiling at my joke. 

He actually was one of the best teachers I had in HS, but his manner was very intimidating. 

He told us that in war you don't want to get shot in the butt.   It doesn't stop bleeding and you have to be on your gut while in recovery.   I'm guessing he spoke from experience.  Not sure.  

mspart

But you get lots of ice cream....right Lt. Dan??

I had to take a philosophy class as an elective and the teacher was really weird, he would be all bundled up in the middle of the summer and often bring in a heater.  He was bizarre.   one day he came in wearing this tie that was fatter on the bottom like a clown would wear.   One of the ladies in class said Mr Mcamey I like your tie.  He had a drawl like an aristrocrat and He said "It's not a tie it's an ascot",    To which I responded Yeah,  look at what the ass got.  The class roared.  He laughed as well, after a mild rebuke.    

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

I had to take a philosophy class as an elective and the teacher was really weird, he would be all bundled up in the middle of the summer and often bring in a heater.  He was bizarre.   one day he came in wearing this tie that was fatter on the bottom like a clown would wear.   One of the ladies in class said Mr Mcamey I like your tie.  He had a drawl like an aristrocrat and He said "It's not a tie it's an ascot",    To which I responded Yeah,  look at what the ass got.  The class roared.  He laughed as well, after a mild rebuke.    

That sounds like a scene from waterboy!

• Fire 1

That's pretty good. 

My Ordinary Differential Equations teacher would write an equation on the board, step back, point his hands at the board and wiggle his fingers.   And then he would produce the solution.   Someone asked him how he know's the solution, and his answer was, "That is beyond the scope of this class."   To which we all laughed.   We need to memorize how it is done and not understand it.   Which is what my Dad said he had to do when he took the class.  

mspart

1 hour ago, mspart said:

That's pretty good. 

My Ordinary Differential Equations teacher would write an equation on the board, step back, point his hands at the board and wiggle his fingers.   And then he would produce the solution.   Someone asked him how he know's the solution, and his answer was, "That is beyond the scope of this class."   To which we all laughed.   We need to memorize how it is done and not understand it.   Which is what my Dad said he had to do when he took the class.  

mspart

Smart teacher.  I recall an insane amount of algebra when solving differential equations which isn’t a very good use of class time.