The heat gets turned up!

Plasmodium

I only eat peppers that have actual flavor.  I do not get eating peppers just for the sake of the heat.  Why?

With that said,  habaneros are conflicting for me,  as they have among the best flavor, but I can't eat them because they're too hot for my palate.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

My wife's aunt made habenero jelly and my wife loves it.   She made some herself and the house was hot!!   It was a bit hotter than her aunt's but was still decent.  

I like hot, but can barely handle a jalapeno raw.   I do #3 at the Thai restaurants and sometime #4.  

mspart

20 hours ago, mspart said:

My wife's aunt made habenero jelly and my wife loves it.   She made some herself and the house was hot!!   It was a bit hotter than her aunt's but was still decent.  

I like hot, but can barely handle a jalapeno raw.   I do #3 at the Thai restaurants and sometime #4.  

mspart

That jelly sounds tasty.

20 hours ago, mspart said:

mspart

My nephew has made habenero sandhill plum jelly.  Very good, I would not describe as hot but then I like hot.  

Well, my wife's Aunts jelly was not hot.   My wife overdid it with the habaneros, which you could smell through the house.   The house smelled dangerous, really.    I tried it and it was good, but I'm not much of a jelly guy. 

mspart

19 minutes ago, BobDole said:

How do you get peppers to breed?

Sounds hard:

Classical breeding relies largely on homologous recombination between chromosomes to generate genetic diversity. The classical plant breeder may also make use of a number of in vitro techniques such as protoplast fusion, embryo rescue or mutagenesis (see below) to generate diversity and produce hybrid plants that would not exist in nature.

• Haha 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

This is a great series if you have not seen it.  Sean Evans has famous people on that eat 8 hot wings that keep increasing the heat on the scoville scale.  They presented the Guinness record on the show the other day and ate the pepper,  looks very painful. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUYtDA7j19c 

Edited by Threadkilla

Sounds hard:
Classical breeding relies largely on homologous recombination between chromosomes to generate genetic diversity. The classical plant breeder may also make use of a number of in vitro techniques such as protoplast fusion, embryo rescue or mutagenesis (see below) to generate diversity and produce hybrid plants that would not exist in nature.

I used to work for one of the prominent soybean breeders in the US. My roommate’s dad was a pretty well known wheat breeder. IP deal with Quaker.

The answer: you take a flower from one plant and mash it into the flower, still on the stem, of another plant. Then you out a tiny little bag around it and mark it with a label, indicating “AB * XY” cross. Seeds result. You plant them, grow them out and take a DNA sample to verify they’re what you wanted. Cross them with each other, multiple generations, and eventually you have enough seed to sell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

mspart

One of my best friends is a beer brewer for a decently sized craft operation in Ohio.

He had a habanero vanilla stout that sounded vile but was actually great. The pepper made the beer heat up your mouth and throat like whiskey does.

3 hours ago, Threadkilla said:

This is a great series if you have not seen it.  Sean Evans has famous people on that eat 8 hot wings that keep increasing the heat on the scoville scale.  They presented the Guinness record on the show the other day and ate the pepper,  looks very painful. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUYtDA7j19c 

Cis Gender Is A Pronoun is correct on this one. 

My new favorite show. 

Edited by Ban Basketball

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

10 hours ago, Le duke said:

One of my best friends is a beer brewer for a decently sized craft operation in Ohio.

He had a habanero vanilla stout that sounded vile but was actually great. The pepper made the beer heat up your mouth and throat like whiskey does.

Where can I get some?