Book Bans

1 minute ago, ionel said:

And to that point, why isn't Kite Runner available for 3 yr olds and why has Clifford the Big Red Dog been "banned" from high school classes? 

Good questions.  Very meaningful.

I was the interface to the library for my 3YOs.  Everything in the library was available to them.   KR didn't have pictures and they didn't like reading books without pictures because everyone kept telling them they had the book upside down.

The thing Plasi is not saying is that these higher education level textbooks are not appropriate. 

Is Playboy, Penthouse, or general explicit sexual material allowed in school libraries?   Especially elementary libraries?   These books that have explicit sexual content is no different.   They are not appropriate for the age group that the library is for.   Not a word against "banning" Playboy etc.   But taking a book that has explicit sexual material out of an elementary library or not letting it in at all is reason for crying banning of books.  

It is a situation that doesn't make any sense at all on the part of those advocating for these books. 

mspart

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, mspart said:

The thing Plasi is not saying is that these higher education level textbooks are not appropriate. 

Is Playboy, Penthouse, or general explicit sexual material allowed in school libraries?   Especially elementary libraries?   These books that have explicit sexual content is no different.   They are not appropriate for the age group that the library is for.   Not a word against "banning" Playboy etc.   But taking a book that has explicit sexual material out of an elementary library or not letting it in at all is reason for crying banning of books.  

It is a situation that doesn't make any sense at all on the part of those advocating for these books. 

mspart

I was just answering questions.

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Is that massage device in the second picture available on Prime tomorrow? It looks awesome!

🙂 It could be an advertisement for "Black Mirror."

The Black Mirror Season 7 episode, "Search Control," is a chilling exploration of how easily our beliefs can be manipulated by technology, and it serves as a cautionary tale about the dangers of an unchecked, ideologically-driven digital world.

Throughout "Search Control," Black Mirror explores themes of ethics, the unintended consequences of technology, and the potential dangers of an echo chamber-driven world. The episode leaves viewers with haunting questions about the fine line between social change and manipulation, the power of collective ideology, and the role of technology in shaping our beliefs and perceptions.

Note: This episode was inspired by actual happenings discussed before on the intermat.

• Fire 1

Not one of you supporters of cancel culture know how educators determine "age appropriateness " but I can assure you that if materials are not,  the administration and/ or school board will intervene to have the materials pulled. 

You keep getting sold and falling for these bills of goods by angry,  irresponsible people with no understanding of education,  what materials are being used,  how they are being used, and the vetting process for these materials. 

Until then just feel comfortable that you're in favor of cancel culture and big gubment efforts to legislate how educators teach. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

Let's try this little test on for size. 

You may hear that sex ed is sometimes taught in kindergarten curriculums.  Cancel that culture for "age inappropriate" materials?

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

On 10/7/2023 at 10:05 AM, Bigbrog said:

Man this gets old...please provide any evidence of a book being "banned".  Can't wait to see how people twist the definition of "banned" again.  By the way...who starts a thread like this??

Its the Leopards Eating Faces Party. When they run out of faces of people they don't like or disagree with, they still need faces to eat. Who will they turn on next? 

This is how its gone. This is how it will always go. Unless they grow up! But that they are unwilling to conceive of a world where they are not correct, they will never give up their authority to arbitrarily censor things they deem immoral. 

• Fire 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Its the Leopards Eating Faces Party. When they run out of faces of people they don't like or disagree with, they still need faces to eat. Who will they turn on next? 

This is how its gone. This is how it will always go. Unless they grow up! But that they are unwilling to conceive of a world where they are not correct, they will never give up their authority to arbitrarily censor things they deem immoral. 

Is it the Leopards Eating Faces Party or not?

1. They believe in book bans.
    1. Which book do they support bans for?
      1. "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" for racial themes
      2. "Fifty Shades of Grey" for sexual themes
  2. Their intolerable Twitter behavior
    1. Which behavior is intolerable?
      1. Twitter-banning the "Babylon Bee" account for the joke that granted Rachel Levine the 'Man of the Year Award'
      2. Reinstating the "Babylon Bee" account

This comment belongs to another topic. 

Edited by jross
formatting

17 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

"There are no book bans."-Madam Bigbrog

9 hours ago, Bigbrog said:

Yay...who doesn't love changing meaning of words to fit a narrative....so fun!!!

I call the book bans cancel culture.  

I'm now concerned that our one party authoritarian rule legislature here in Iowa doesn't think that we have to continue to out-fascist Florida and Texas and cancel more culture. 

We sometimes overshelter children to protect them, but that's better than 'not enough!'  Children should be protected from things that can negatively influence them.  These are 'children!'  They imitate what they see.  They easily get anxiety, fear, and trauma that lasts into adulthood.  It is the parent's responsibility to guide sensitive topics.

Even adults are negatively influenced by materials... but they are adults and are accountable for their decisions.

Hustler magazine is not appropriate for a school's bookshelf.  Too extreme?
Gender Queer: A Memoir should also have restricted access.
The Old Testament and other religious material should have restricted access.

And if enough caregivers believe that Huck Finn is inappropriate for public school, that is okay!  In my house, I read it to my children.  

Are the books actually banned?  Not even close.  Many banned books are still on the school shelf, they are almost always accessible at the public library, and they are purchasable at book vendors.  I have numerous "school" banned books on my shelf.

Restricting access to a small set of books with sensitive content at public schools is good practice.  It feels slimy to argue that it's discrimination... 

26 minutes ago, jross said:

We sometimes overshelter children to protect them, but that's better than 'not enough!'  Children should be protected from things that can negatively influence them.  These are 'children!'  They imitate what they see.  They easily get anxiety, fear, and trauma that lasts into adulthood.  It is the parent's responsibility to guide sensitive topics.

Even adults are negatively influenced by materials... but they are adults and are accountable for their decisions.

Hustler magazine is not appropriate for a school's bookshelf.  Too extreme?
Gender Queer: A Memoir should also have restricted access.
The Old Testament and other religious material should have restricted access.

And if enough caregivers believe that Huck Finn is inappropriate for public school, that is okay!  In my house, I read it to my children.  

Are the books actually banned?  Not even close.  Many banned books are still on the school shelf, they are almost always accessible at the public library, and they are purchasable at book vendors.  I have numerous "school" banned books on my shelf.

Restricting access to a small set of books with sensitive content at public schools is good practice.  It feels slimy to argue that it's discrimination... 

By the definition of a book ban, yes.  By the definition of hunting down every copy, destroying digital back ups and issuing fatwas on owners like the Book of Eli, no.

On 10/6/2023 at 12:17 PM, ThreePointTakedown said:

What are you all afraid of, seriously? 

Having difficult conversations with your kids is part of the job.  

The school can guide me as a parent, and it's my decision on when and how my children are exposed to sensitive topics.  

There is no fear of having conversations with my kids.

There is fear of a school teacher negatively influencing my child on sensitive topics, without my permission, at the wrong child development time.

Edited by jross
  • Fire 1