"I'm on day eleven, and I've already lost nine pounds. MIND BLOWN!"

Something inside of me got messed up from consistently losing weight as a kid.  Now I stress-starve regularly.  Whenever I have something important or exciting coming up, I go couple days with just water and black coffee.  During the first month of the pandemic i lost ten pounds 😞

• Fire 4

26 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

This is a testimonial on a national radio advertisement for Plan Z and the Crave Control Spray™. An actual human person during an actual human radio commercial actually said this. I was wondering what wrestlers think about that. 

What was the starting weight?  🙄

• Fire 1

29 minutes ago, ionel said:

What was the starting weight?  🙄

That was not indicated. All that that human said was what I quoted. 

I wrestled heavyweight in college even though I weighed 190 to 200 at most. I could still lose 9 pounds in an afternoon if I wore plastics. 

What the NCAA does regarding weight loss is pretty solid in my mind, but I'd like to hear from people who have recent involvement in the process. What the UFC does is insane, and I think somebody is going to die because of it. Still, probably better than the Subway diet. 

subway jared.jpg

42 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Something inside of me got messed up from consistently losing weight as a kid.  Now I stress-starve regularly.  Whenever I have something important or exciting coming up, I go couple days with just water and black coffee.  During the first month of the pandemic i lost ten pounds 😞

This is a good time to talk about this ... before the kids start losing weight for the high school and college seasons. I had major problems making 155 my sophomore year in high school. No more diets for me after that! Too many nightmares. 

• Fire 2

I’m down almost 20lb in last 3 weeks. But that’s been accomplished through getting back to work routine habits after summer break, eating better, running a 5K every other day, and drinking “the good stuff” on weekends only again.  Plus, a stubborn attitude to not let these high school brats think for a second they have an edge up on me in neutral a month or two.  I’ve been in wrestling too much of my life to believe any less than hard work and some self control will work over a long period of time.

• Fire 4

3 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

This is a good time to talk about this ... before the kids start losing weight for the high school and college seasons. I had major problems making 155 my sophomore year in high school. No more diets for me after that! Too many nightmares. 

My sophomore year I went from 185 to 152 at 6’2”. It was a miserable time getting down to weight. I had a negative association with running after that season. Spent a lot of time on the treadmill. 

• Fire 4

19 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

I wrestled heavyweight in college even though I weighed 190 to 200 at most. I could still lose 9 pounds in an afternoon if I wore plastics. 

I wrestled "BITD" in college.

Once, only once, I dropped 18 lbs. in about 20 hours.

Plastics, including  sitting for 3 hours in whirlpool with them on.

Back then we had the weigh in several hours before a match.

I made weight, stepped off the scale and downed almost a gallon of Gatorade.

Not smart I know.

But I wanted to wrestle a former Olympian.

Needed to drop the weight to do that.

Too bad the guy decided not to wrestle that day.

• Fire 2

22 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Interesting. I stress starve when I'm stressed or anxious, too. Just caffeine, water, and some sugar like I have to make weight in a couple of days. I wonder if it's a common thing that a lot of former wrestlers do.

• Fire 3

21 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

What the NCAA does regarding weight loss is pretty solid in my mind, but I'd like to hear from people who have recent involvement in the process. What the UFC does is insane, and I think somebody is going to die because of it. Still, probably better than the Subway diet. 

Didn't Cris Cyborg almost die a couple of times from cutting weight? I don't keep up with MMA but remember the discussions on the old board about fighters making dangerous cuts in the UFC. I am curious if they have made any changes to their weight management rules & procedures.

• Fire 1

22 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

That was not indicated. All that that human said was what I quoted. 

subway jared.jpg

I was just involved in a Twitter thread about the UFC and their weight cutting.

I suggested using the NCAA Wrestling standard. They won't go to 1-2 hour weigh-ins or even same day for multiple reasons...one being the athletes don't want that. The other, it's an entire event they use to sell the fight.

But the fix College Wrestling made in...I think '97 is the way the UFC should go. 

• Fire 2

18 hours ago, Gus said:

My sophomore year I went from 185 to 152 at 6’2”. It was a miserable time getting down to weight. I had a negative association with running after that season. Spent a lot of time on the treadmill. 

My Freshmen year I came out of Football at about 180(just 6'...though listed at 6'3!)

We had a returning qualifier at '45, '52 and '60...but they weren't world beaters. So I start cutting, our coach was an idiot and shady. We didn't have to pass the hydration test. So I qualified for 144.-something.

I remember asking the coach what he wants me to Wrestle at. The 160 was willing to bump up, so I could slide in there(especially since our '52 was like 5'6).

His answer, "as much as you can." I got down to '52 and then our '40 got hurt, so he wanted us to shuffle down. 145 was...pure misery and our 145 ended up in the Hospital. 

At the same time, our 135 sprained his ankle pretty good and I remember hearing this along with our assistants(who would become the HC the next year and was an actual College Wrestler). Upon hearing he couldn't make the cut to 135...our coach, straight face says, "what about 130."

He was an idiot. He coached a LOT of teams that won Conf and went to and won a couple State Titles, but never had a guy place higher than 4th in his 12 years. The next year we had multiple State Champs and lost Conf by a few points.

The new coach was FAR more concerned about guys wrestling their best weights and each Wrestler being THEIR best. It'd eventually translate to more team success, but it immediately made the sport a lot more fun. Went up to '70 and never dropped back down.

• Fire 4

15 hours ago, scourge165 said:

I was just involved in a Twitter thread about the UFC and their weight cutting.

I suggested using the NCAA Wrestling standard. They won't go to 1-2 hour weigh-ins or even same day for multiple reasons...one being the athletes don't want that. The other, it's an entire event they use to sell the fight.

But the fix College Wrestling made in...I think '97 is the way the UFC should go. 

Was it in relation to this?

• Fire 2

I never cut big weight, but had annoying situations two different seasons.  Freshman year, I was a natural 145, but my coach made me weigh in at 140 to have "lineup flexibility."  I wrestled all but two matches at 145 (but having to weigh in at 140).  Similar thing my junior year.  I was a natural 189, but had to weigh in at 171, only to get "bumped" to 189 multiple times.

• Fire 2

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

4 hours ago, jchapman said:

I never cut big weight, but had annoying situations two different seasons.  Freshman year, I was a natural 145, but my coach made me weigh in at 140 to have "lineup flexibility."  I wrestled all but two matches at 145 (but having to weigh in at 140).  Similar thing my junior year.  I was a natural 189, but had to weigh in at 171, only to get "bumped" to 189 multiple times.

I know the feeling, junior year weighed 182. Making 171 was killer as well. To top it off the guys at 189 looked huge.

• Fire 2