Chicago Mayor Sues Kia and Automakers

Bigbrog

2 minutes ago, ionel said:

Curious when and was it a Kia or Hyundai?

Honda minivan. Within the last 5 years. Police cars are equipped with license plate readers so that as they pass parked cars they get a hit for anything reported stolen. Technology that invades our privacy can also retrieve our atolen cars.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Based on the article they don't prosecute anyone for any crimes in Chicago because they never mentioned it. They also don't even do food inspections at restaurants from what that article doesn't say. Another conclusion from that article is the they are tearing down Wrigley Field.

• Haha 1

Just now, BobDole said:

Based on the article they don't prosecute anyone for any crimes in Chicago because they never mentioned it. They also don't even do food inspections at restaurants from what that article doesn't say. Another conclusion from that article is the they are tearing down Wrigley Field.

They should tear down Wrigley, there's a reason I no longer eat in Chicago and to your first point ... I've heard they have crime, don't know about the prostitutes.  😉

3 minutes ago, ionel said:

They should tear down Wrigley, there's a reason I no longer eat in Chicago and to your first point ... I've heard they have crime, don't know about the prostitutes.  😉

From the article the only crime they have is car theft, that's really good for a city of that size. That article never ONCE mentioned any murders.

1 minute ago, BobDole said:

From the article the only crime they have is car theft, that's really good for a city of that size. That article never ONCE mentioned any murders.

Well I've never read an article that was in my subject matter expertise area that was accurate, so I always assume articles have errors.  This one not in my area so if it has errors, I dont know what they are.  I've never witnessed a murder in Chicago so ...

6 minutes ago, ionel said:

Well I've never read an article that was in my subject matter expertise area that was accurate, so I always assume articles have errors.  This one not in my area so if it has errors, I dont know what they are.  I've never witnessed a murder in Chicago so ...

Me neither, thus this article 100% true.

• Fire 1

So weird that this turned into a R v D thing.  Add on top of that all the "inferring" people are doing versus taking the article for what it says, nothing more, nothing less.  The Chicago mayor, regardless of what political party he is from, is suing a car company because criminals steal cars.  At the same time in the very article, he rationalizes the criminal's behavior.  Never did I or the article say anything about if the police are in fact going after the criminals so not sure why that keeps getting brought up.  Anyway, I stand by what I originally said, the mayor is an idiot for suing the car makers...it makes no sense. 

1 hour ago, Bigbrog said:

So weird that this turned into a R v D thing.  Add on top of that all the "inferring" people are doing versus taking the article for what it says, nothing more, nothing less.  The Chicago mayor, regardless of what political party he is from, is suing a car company because criminals steal cars.  At the same time in the very article, he rationalizes the criminal's behavior.  Never did I or the article say anything about if the police are in fact going after the criminals so not sure why that keeps getting brought up.  Anyway, I stand by what I originally said, the mayor is an idiot for suing the car makers...it makes no sense. 

This isn't just a Chicago problem. If other cities see there is traction to this lawsuit I'm sure they will join in. I'm no lawyer, nor do I play one on the internet so I have no clue if this lawsuit has any chance of going very far.

https://apnews.com/article/hyundai-kia-tiktok-theft-stolen-8e0a353d24be0e7bce36e34c5e4dac51

The Chicago mayor doesn't seem to be rationalizing the criminal activity, more so showing that the manufacturer has created an easy target for crime. From the article you need a USB cord and screwdriver to drive away with a Kia(and I thought it was no credit no problem!).

57 minutes ago, BobDole said:

This isn't just a Chicago problem. If other cities see there is traction to this lawsuit I'm sure they will join in. I'm no lawyer, nor do I play one on the internet so I have no clue if this lawsuit has any chance of going very far.

https://apnews.com/article/hyundai-kia-tiktok-theft-stolen-8e0a353d24be0e7bce36e34c5e4dac51

The Chicago mayor doesn't seem to be rationalizing the criminal activity, more so showing that the manufacturer has created an easy target for crime. From the article you need a USB cord and screwdriver to drive away with a Kia(and I thought it was no credit no problem!).

I have no doubt it isn't just a Chicago problem.  And my bad, I thought I read in that article that he was rationalizing away the criminals behavior, but it may have been another article I read.  And I am to lazy to go find it, and it doesn't change my main point that suing the car manufacturers is asinine and backwards thinking.  It isn't like they are purposely not putting in safety equipment.  I guess I am a strong believer in self-responsibility...i.e., if I buy a house that doesn't have locks on the doors and someone breaks in, I sure don't feel like it is the builders fault and thus I sue them...or even stupider, the city I live in sues the builders.  I purchased the house knowing there were no locks.  

7 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

I have no doubt it isn't just a Chicago problem.  And my bad, I thought I read in that article that he was rationalizing away the criminals behavior, but it may have been another article I read.  And I am to lazy to go find it, and it doesn't change my main point that suing the car manufacturers is asinine and backwards thinking.  It isn't like they are purposely not putting in safety equipment.  I guess I am a strong believer in self-responsibility...i.e., if I buy a house that doesn't have locks on the doors and someone breaks in, I sure don't feel like it is the builders fault and thus I sue them...or even stupider, the city I live in sues the builders.  I purchased the house knowing there were no locks.  

Maybe it was about one of those fine western locales where they recommend you leave the doors unlocked so not as much damage is done to your car.  It would help the screwdriver and usb cord stores if you would leave the keys in it, also. 

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Bigbrog said:

From the second article I linked it sounds like the manufacturer put in easily hacked security systems. Literally you need a USB cord and a screwdriver. The videos that show how to do this have gone viral and made those cars easy targets for thieves. On top of that knowing that these cars are easily hijacked they are becoming nice weapons for joy rides and other criminal activity due to this. I would think car manufacturers much like with safety measures have a little responsibility to make their cars at least a little harder to steal.

I would equate that to buying locks for your house that the manufacturer makes it easy to pick versus the others. 

As far as the personal responsibility part, the people who purchased these cars (most likely) didn't know until recently how easy they were to steal. 

I have no clue if there are legs to this lawsuit, the best indicator will be if other cities join in. 

17 minutes ago, BobDole said:

From the second article I linked it sounds like the manufacturer put in easily hacked security systems. Literally you need a USB cord and a screwdriver. The videos that show how to do this have gone viral and made those cars easy targets for thieves. On top of that knowing that these cars are easily hijacked they are becoming nice weapons for joy rides and other criminal activity due to this. I would think car manufacturers much like with safety measures have a little responsibility to make their cars at least a little harder to steal.

I would equate that to buying locks for your house that the manufacturer makes it easy to pick versus the others. 

As far as the personal responsibility part, the people who purchased these cars (most likely) didn't know until recently how easy they were to steal. 

I have no clue if there are legs to this lawsuit, the best indicator will be if other cities join in. 

Is it the screwdriver or the usb cable that unlocks the door?

• Fire 1

"Let's not demonize the car thieves.  In order to eat this evening they have to steal the KIAs to go to Luis Vuitton to steal thousands of dollars of luxury non-needed goods to sell them online to have the money to pay for the gas to go to the store that closed up shop in the theives' neighborhood and moved out to where it is safe and steal bread for their families.  Indict Trump!!  Where is Kim Fox?!?"

image.png.9826b9546e2270129bed03af9682b7cc.png  Babylon Bee Headline today.

Edited by Lipdrag
Awesomeness.

13 minutes ago, Lipdrag said:

"Let's not demonize the car thieves.  In order to eat this evening they have to steal the KIAs to go to Luis Vuitton to steal thousands of dollars of luxury non-needed goods to sell them online to have the money to pay for the gas to go to the store that closed up shop in the theives' neighborhood and moved out to where it is safe and steal bread for their families.  Indict Trump!!  Where is Kim Fox?!?"

image.png.9826b9546e2270129bed03af9682b7cc.png  Babylon Bee Headline today.

So law and order for car thieves, but NOT Donald Trump.

Thanks for that clarification.

1 hour ago, BobDole said:

3 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Yep, there are unsolved murders in Chicago why would this so-called DA prosecute car thieves?

Are you sure?  Bob and I have both testified that we've never witnessed a murder in Chicago.

• Fire 1

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-08-29/chicago-tv-crew-reporting-on-robberies-gets-robbed-at-gunpoint

August 29, 2023 at 10:34 AM PDT
Updated on
August 29, 2023 at 10:57 AM PDT

A television crew reporting on a series of robberies in a Chicago neighborhood got to experience the crime wave firsthand.

The team, a 28-year-old man and a 42-year-old woman who work for Spanish-language Univision Chicago, had a video camera and other personal belongings stolen on Monday by three armed men wearing ski masks in West Town, according to Luis Godinez, vice president of news at the station.

The footage the team shot was in the stolen camera, so the story never aired, Godinez told the Chicago Tribune.

The incident comes as Mayor Brandon Johnson, who took over about 100 days ago, has faced criticism from business leaders for being slow to deal with crime, having only recently named a new police chief for the third-largest US city. His predecessor, Lori Lightfoot, lost her job this year in part because of surging crime. She became the first Chicago mayor to fail in a reelection bid since 1983.

... The incident involving the Univision crew, first reported by the Tribune, happened on the 1200 block of North Milwaukee Avenue, about a 10-minute drive from the Loop, the city’s central business district. The suspects were driving a black SUV and a gray sedan, according to the police report shared by Univision. No injuries were reported.

Earlier this month the Chicago Police Department reported a string of robberies in the area. In several instances, armed offenders wearing ski masks were driving stolen Kia and Hyundai vehicles and stopping to steal victims’ belongings.

Interestingly, they last paragraph listed here talks about Kia and Hyandai thefts.   Interesting also, there is no word of arrests in this news item or in the many several instances of armed offenders driving stolen Kia and Hyundai vehicles.   I guess we will never know if Chicago is soft or hard on crime other than what I highlighted and underlined above. 

mspart

https://news.wttw.com/2023/08/21/motor-vehicle-thefts-chicago-have-jumped-139-3-years-while-only-4-are-solved

...  And according to CPD statistics, most thieves get away with the initial crime. Last year, the clearance rate for solving motor vehicle thefts was a paltry 4%.

Sources close to CPD say the department de-emphasizes solving these types of crimes to devote more resources to more serious crimes.

The last paragraph seems to answer the question that was burning before in this thread.   "... CPD de-emphasizes solving these types of crimes...".   So do they go after the car thieves?   Apparently, police de-emphasize this effort.   So rates for stolen vehicles climbs.   All very predictable.

mspart

21 hours ago, BobDole said:

Bobbie D, I wrote Indict Trump with exclamation points.  How much more law and order do you want me to advocate for?  It is right there in my post.  How can the people of Chicago feel safe with an unindicted Trump running around?