Science, AntiScience, and Censorship

Husker_Du

37 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

Like it or lump it, the data perfectly backs up what she is saying, the context in which she's speaking.  No other groups even compare statistically.

The data, the carefully stated, manipulated data.  Central Planning does love their sheep. 

1 minute ago, Offthemat said:

The data, the carefully stated, manipulated data.  Central Planning does love their sheep. 

Without seeing the data, yes, of course you're right and everyone else is wrong.

I can just tell you after 28 years that if it was manipulated or at all inaccurate, I'll be the first one to (1) cry foul and (2) not use it when I present it to classes.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

4 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

Without seeing the data, yes, of course you're right and everyone else is wrong.

I can just tell you after 28 years that if it was manipulated or at all inaccurate, I'll be the first one to (1) cry foul and (2) not use it when I present it to classes.

Okay.  One point for you to check.  Each individual charged for Jan. 6, though the incident happened in DC, was filed through participant’s home field office.  The Bureau then reports it as white extremism and widespread. 

24 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

Okay.  One point for you to check.  Each individual charged for Jan. 6, though the incident happened in DC, was filed through participant’s home field office.  The Bureau then reports it as white extremism and widespread. 

No, the data that we use is more sophisticated than just using one instance and therefore drawing a conclusion.  That would be idiotic and the fastest way to lose one's job, when he/she shares such "data."

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

29 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

39 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

Can you define Radicalized Extremists? Wouldn't stand to reason that there might be more just because of number differential between Whites,Blacks, Asian  and Hispanic. Can you give an example of the rad extrem..

Edited by Paul158

1 minute ago, Paul158 said:

Can you define Radicalized Extremists? Wouldn't stand to reason that there might be more just because of number differential between Whites,Blacks, Asian  and Hispanic.

Yes, and the data that is used to draw these conclusions takes ALL categories into account.  Extremism today is overwhelmingly coming from whites and white power groups.

As Ronald Reagan once said, "facts are stupid things," like them or lump them.  I stand behind what I share with others.

2 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

Yes, and the data that is used to draw these conclusions takes ALL categories into account.  Extremism today is overwhelmingly coming from whites and white power groups.

As Ronald Reagan once said, "facts are stupid things," like them or lump them.  I stand behind what I share with others.

Can you define Extremism?

1 minute ago, Paul158 said:

Can you define Extremism?

I don't define it; I only do secondary research these days and use the definition provided to me by the researchers. In short, and for the purposes of the data that you see (or don't see?) presented to you, they are primarily defined by their actions, as they have to be.

I'm always curious as to why individuals are so reluctant to admit that we have social and political extremism in the U.S.  Why is that uncomfortable?

I'm over and out on this.  It's a classic example of Twain's famous quote-to which I try to live by-and I get paid to do this stuff.  I'm not going to waste my time on it on such a rudimentary (if even that) level.

I think a definition of extremism is useful in this discussion.  

1.   Is a person who bashes in a police car an extremist?

2.  Is a person that sets a police precinct on fire an extremist?

3.  Is a person that sets buildings in a city an extremist?

4.  is a person that speaks up at a school board mtg or city council and is a bit animated an extremist?

5.  Is a protester outside an abortion clinic an extremist?

6.  Is a protester outside a police station an extremist?

Loads of other examples of could be extremists.   DOJ put parents on notice for being extremist at school board meetings because of what's going on in schools that is crazy.   Voicing concerns or opinions at a school board mtg is not extremist in my opinion.   Telling them you are going to injure or kill them is another matter.

mspart

• Fire 2

4 minutes ago, mspart said:

DOJ put parents on notice for being extremist at school board meetings because of what's going on in schools that is crazy.   Voicing concerns or opinions at a school board mtg is not extremist in my opinion.   Telling them you are going to injure or kill them is another matter.

There was and is a basis for these investigations.

https://www.usnews.com/news/education-news/articles/2021-10-04/doj-to-investigate-threats-against-school-board-members

Ban,

Yes, we are aware of that.   In fact the article goes on to say that the "policy" comes just days after the group representing the country's school boards wrote to President Joe Biden to plead for federal assistance in responding to mounting threats and violence that they likened to domestic terrorism against school board members related to their decisions on COVID-19 school safety policies, critical race theory and more.

Interestingly, the group retracted that letter but DOJ did not stop.  There was lots of discussion of this at the time.  Just because a group says there are threats and violence does not mean it is so.   In today's world, words are violence and looking or saying the wrong thing can be considered a microaggression or threat.  

So definitions matter.  DOJ looked into this for exactly a few days before issuing the new policy.   Based on what?  Apparently based on the retracted letter from the teacher's group.  

mspart

19 minutes ago, mspart said:

Ban,

Yes, we are aware of that.   In fact the article goes on to say that the "policy" comes just days after the group representing the country's school boards wrote to President Joe Biden to plead for federal assistance in responding to mounting threats and violence that they likened to domestic terrorism against school board members related to their decisions on COVID-19 school safety policies, critical race theory and more.

Interestingly, the group retracted that letter but DOJ did not stop.  There was lots of discussion of this at the time.  Just because a group says there are threats and violence does not mean it is so.   In today's world, words are violence and looking or saying the wrong thing can be considered a microaggression or threat.  

So definitions matter.  DOJ looked into this for exactly a few days before issuing the new policy.   Based on what?  Apparently based on the retracted letter from the teacher's group.  

mspart

I'm sure millions of upset parents at school meetings went into the data as extremists.  I'm sure if you dislike what president Biden is doing you will be flagged an extremists. If questioned or were concerned about the elections you probably are considered an extremist.

• Fire 1

Like I said, Central Planning does love their sheep.  

When asked, I offered one point.  Mspart, you point out another - what is it - who gets to define it?  In the school board case, it was actually instigated by the White House.  They contacted the School Board Association to contact them.  The School Board Assn. has experienced a drop in membership over it.  

Anybody who uses their head for something besides something to hold their ears apart knows there is no great threat by white supremacists, of which there are few; nor white extremists.  If the groups of inner city youngsters who are shooting each other based sometimes on race, sometimes on geography, sometimes on religion or other social traits, but mostly because they have drugs, were accurately identified in the data, the data would tell a different story.  

If you think Central Planning is going to tell you about real terrorist cells moving about the country after entering through our southern border, even the ones they know of, you need to sign up for CNN+. 

• Fire 3

3 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

We have a country that’s trying to understand what’s happened to our graduates.  They’re just like little computers:  GIGO. 

and they want you and I to pay off their college loans that they agreed to pay back.Hmmm

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Paul158 said:

and they want you and I to pay off their college loans that they agreed to pay back.Hmmm

Not exactly so, as the passed legislation showed us.  However, either way, not going to happen anyway

Meanwhile, loan forgiveness for millionaires, billionaires, and others goes merrily along...  

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

interesting.

every liberal i know is a blooming idiot.

Blooming or flaming?

15 hours ago, Ban Basketball said:

I don't define it; I only do secondary research these days and use the definition provided to me by the researchers. In short, and for the purposes of the data that you see (or don't see?) presented to you, they are primarily defined by their actions, as they have to be.

I'm always curious as to why individuals are so reluctant to admit that we have social and political extremism in the U.S.  Why is that uncomfortable?

I'm over and out on this.  It's a classic example of Twain's famous quote-to which I try to live by-and I get paid to do this stuff.  I'm not going to waste my time on it on such a rudimentary (if even that) level.

I have no dog in this fight and seriously would like to know who defines "extremist" and what is the definition?   Clearly you have to know what the answer to those questions if you are researching "stuff"...otherwise how do you know what to research?  Again, I truly am interested.  

By the way, I completely admit and agree there are political extremism in the US...the only reason it is uncomfortable to me is because that is all people see on the slanted/biased/partisan MSM...when in reality, based on whatever definition your research is based on, extremism is a very small percentage of our population....however, you wouldn't know it if you watched the news.  So again, I am very interested in your research to truly understand the data and how it's collected, measured, and reported so that people (aka ME!) can make ACCURATE opinions on the state of our society.  Thanks