Trump announces he is running for Prez again

mspart

2 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

We clearly differ on not only our politics, but on our standards for evidence and standards of argument.

I think this might be one of the roots of our disagreements here.

Yes and we both think the other largely provides weak evidence.

45 minutes ago, jross said:

Yes and we both think the other largely provides weak evidence.

I have used this before but it seems especially apropos:

“The common worldview, shared by most humans, is that there is one objective reality, and we humans can understand that reality through a rigorous application of facts and reason. This view of the world imagines that some people have already achieved a fact-based type of enlightenment that is compatible with science and logic, and they are trying to help the rest of us see the world the “right” way. As far as I can tell, most people share that interpretation of the world. The only wrinkle with that worldview is that we all think we are the enlightened ones. And we assume the people who disagree with us just need better facts, and perhaps better brains, in order to agree with us. That filter on life makes most of us happy—”
― Scott Adams, Win Bigly: Persuasion in a World Where Facts Don't Matter

25 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Whatever happened to Trump running for President? I think he and I have held the same number of campaign events, and hired the same number of campaign managers.

Deuce's goose is cooked is what happened. 

Fund raising is down,  even the 30 percenters suddenly don't want him running any more,  and I think Deuce is realizing that his criminal trials are going to be taking up his time above all. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

On 12/31/2022 at 1:01 PM, Mike Parrish said:

Please explain why he should go to prison?  What about his tax returns screams, put this man away?  He followed what the IRS rules were.

Just so we all are clear, if he did something wrong and broke the law, by all means send the idiot to prison, but this whole tax thing, just like the Jan 6 committee, is nothing but a political dog and pony show.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bigbrog said:

Please explain why he should go to prison?  What about his tax returns screams, put this man away?  He followed what the IRS rules were.

Just so we all are clear, if he did something wrong and broke the law, by all means send the idiot to prison, but this whole tax thing, just like the Jan 6 committee, is nothing but a political dog and pony show.

Did you read the article?

It's spelled out right there.

Is there someone there who can read it to you?

On 12/23/2022 at 1:22 PM, BerniePragle said:

Point taken.  I guess I should have narrowed it down to "economically".
That leads to a conversation I've had many times with my sister.  Whether we should vote for the honesty, integrity, intelligence, etc of the candidate, or whether we should vote for the campaigned upon policies of the candidate.  If you vote for the first, you get honesty, integrity, intelligence, etc.  If you vote for the second, you get the sacks of crap that we've gotten for way too long that are for sale to the highest bidder.  How many of us would believe that Trump actually ascribes to the religious policies that he displays in order to get votes?

When was the last time an honest candidate was the presidential nominee for the two-party system?  I stopped writing in candidates after 2016 because they had no chance of winning.

Given Bill1 and Bill2 are corrupt statesmen far beyond my character acceptance for president, the Bill that best aligns below wins my vote.  Bonus points for having a well-informed plan and a record of delivering results fast.  

• corruption in the government
    • poor leadership, media psych-ops, big tech collusion, big brother behavior, blind spending, election security, insider trading, lobbying, term limits in the legislative branch, inability to disagree and commit, lack of transparency
  • affordability of quality education through college 
  • increasing high cost of living/inflation in relation to my net worth
  • affordability of healthcare
  • meaningful reduction of illegal immigration
  • accountability for life's choices

On 12/31/2022 at 11:59 PM, Mike Parrish said:

Stay classy, Trump

The number of votes for and against Trump in the 2020 election imply more people care about politics than ever before.  Government, corporations, and statesmen corruption have more discussions than I can recall in my lifetime.  Trump is his worst enemy; a tyrant with his words.  He had his time; he made his point.  How many Trump elections are required for 'we the people' to demand better government?  A return to the status quo before Trump is still a 'L.'

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, jross said:

When was the last time an honest candidate was the presidential nominee for the two-party system?  I stopped writing in candidates after 2016 because they had no chance of winning.

Given Bill1 and Bill2 are corrupt statesmen far beyond my character acceptance for president, the Bill that best aligns below wins my vote.  Bonus points for having a well-informed plan and a record of delivering results fast.  

• corruption in the government
    • poor leadership, media psych-ops, big tech collusion, big brother behavior, blind spending, election security, insider trading, lobbying, term limits in the legislative branch, inability to disagree and commit, lack of transparency
  • affordability of quality education through college 
  • increasing high cost of living/inflation in relation to my net worth
  • affordability of healthcare
  • meaningful reduction of illegal immigration
  • accountability for life's choices

Obviously the conversation that my sister and I had was very much a philosophical exercise as opposed to a method of determining which candidate to vote for given the perverted system we have.
The last time I remember a presidential candidate that wasn't a bought and paid for puppet of our Big Business and Ultra-Rich Guy process was 2008, Ralph Nader.  I was one of the too few that voted for him 4 times.  I challenged many people to READ what Mr Nader has written or listen to him and tell me what you don't agree with.

That's a good list.  I would add:  A desire to see the reinvigoration of the middle class.  Of course, this would require the elimination of the wealth redistribution schemes of the trickle down economics implemented by Reagan, Bush2, and Trump through tax breaks for Big Business and the rich, and the endless corporate welfare.  Some of your points would obviously help this.

Inside the Jan. 6 committee’s massive new evidence trove

The panel posted thousands of pages of evidence late Sunday in a public database that provide the clearest glimpse yet at the well-coordinated effort by some Trump allies to help Trump seize a second term he didn’t win. Much of the evidence has never been seen before and, in some cases, adds extraordinary new elements to the case the select committee presented in public — from voluminous phone records to contemporaneous text messages and emails.

Trump lawyers strategized which federal courts would be likeliest to uphold their fringe constitutional theories; Trump White House aides battled to keep unhinged theories from reaching the president’s ears; as the Jan. 6 attack unfolded, West Wing aides sent horrified messages about Trump’s incendiary tweets and inaction; and after the attack, some Trump allies discussed continued efforts to derail the incoming Biden administration.

🍿

Edited by Mike Parrish

42 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

It doesn't matter. Those on the right think Biden winning is worse than what happened on Jan. 6th. It's a shoulder shrug rather than a dark day in our nation's history.

They could likely win the presidency in 2024 if they rid themselves of him and picked a reasonable candidate, but all too many of them are ready to stick their noses back under his flabby butt cheeks. Hanging back just far enough to hop on another bandwagon if it's politically beneficial. 

• Fire 1