Cashless Bail

Bigbrog

So many things to unpack...why does it have to be about who has money and who doesn't when it comes to a committing a crime??  Should we take into account how much money the victim makes then???

Second thought...no one has addressed the fact that victims are not taking into the consideration of this conversation/debate...why?  

Third thought is how does a self-prescribed layer on here only worry about what the aledged perpetrators rights are but gives no shitnits about the victim??  Money???  Who pays the bills?  Hmmm??

Discuss

10 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

So many things to unpack...why does it have to be about who has money and who doesn't when it comes to a committing a crime??  Should we take into account how much money the victim makes then???

Second thought...no one has addressed the fact that victims are not taking into the consideration of this conversation/debate...why?  

Third thought is how does a self-prescribed layer on here only worry about what the aledged perpetrators rights are but gives no shitnits about the victim??  Money???  Who pays the bills?  Hmmm??

Discuss

To be fair, the 8th amendment prohibits excessive bail… this is to protect citizens from the State… just like the 2nd amendment… neither should be abrogated. 

24 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

Discuss

I think a big part of the sentiment for the victims is that we’re still at the stage of the process where the accused has not been found guilty, therefore they are still by law innocent. 

Not saying it’s  right, just that it’s a catch 22 in the law, for the sake of protecting the innocent. The theory of rather seeing 9 guilty men go free as opposed to one innocent man go to jail. 

Discuss

Key words: alleged perpetrators’ ***rights***. You know, as outlined in the Constitution. That one.

Everyone has the same rights. Or should, at least. Unfortunately, our justice system does not work that way.

I’m a rich person who is accused of committing a crime, I can easily post bail and bounce.

If I’m a poor person who accuses of the same thing, I likely can’t post bail; I could be stuck in jail for months or years, not making money for my family, while I await my trial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

I think a big part of the sentiment for the victims is that we’re still at the stage of the process where the accused has not been found guilty, therefore they are still by law innocent. 

Not saying it’s  right, just that it’s a catch 22 in the law, for the sake of protecting the innocent. The theory of rather seeing 9 guilty men go free as opposed to one innocent man go to jail. 

What say you about the January 6 protesters who’ve been sitting in jail for two and a half years without bail?

• Fire 2

6 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

you didn't answer the question

From a high level, I say they should get bail.  On the practical side, they should be treated like everyone else.  If people that smash into secure facilities and assault police officers typically get bail, they should get bail.

8 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

From a high level, I say they should get bail.  On the practical side, they should be treated like everyone else.  If people that smash into secure facilities and assault police officers typically get bail, they should get bail.

Many were arrested and charged before much of any evidence gathering took place. They were then held without bail while the prosecution made their case, more often than not, downgrading the charges (i.e. the government overcharged without evidence to justify holding without bail). Hell, some of them have taken a plea deal, served out their sentence, then the prosecutor sent new evidence to their attorney, which should’ve been part of discovery.

8 minutes ago, DJT said:

Many were arrested and charged before much of any evidence gathering took place. They were then held without bail while the prosecution made their case, more often than not, downgrading the charges (i.e. the government overcharged without evidence to justify holding without bail). Hell, some of them have taken a plea deal, served out their sentence, then the prosecutor sent new evidence to their attorney, which should’ve been part of discovery.

There are a thousand individual cases to discuss.  Doubt they are treated any worse than the average bear.

14 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

There are a thousand individual cases to discuss.  Doubt they are treated any worse than the average bear.

We will treat the bears that we feed Congress to like kings.

IMG_1887.thumb.jpeg.034c632ed543999c8ba4f48e502ab6b9.jpeg

9 hours ago, DJT said:

What say you about the January 6 protesters who’ve been sitting in jail for two and a half years without bail?

My general opinion on release before trial is that it should be based on factors of the crime accused, the strength of the evidence used to charge, and the judges judgement on how strongly they believe the accused would show up for trial, with money not really a factor. Honestly when it gets right down to it I don’t know how much the money is a factor in whether or not someone shows up. 

That said, I believe, generally speaking, that a violent storming of the Capitol in an effort to overturn, or at the least obstruct, our election is justifiable to hold without bail.  Now, I said generally speaking because each individual case is it’s own individual case. No possible way me or anyone else on here could give an informed opinion on each individual case. 

9 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

well, kamala harris' group paid the bail for 2020 rioters...

and no one was ever charged or arrested(as far as i can tell ) for the continued assault on fed buildings in portland

25 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

well, kamala harris' group paid the bail for 2020 rioters...

and no one was ever charged or arrested(as far as i can tell ) for the continued assault on fed buildings in portland

It took five second to find the people were being arrested and charged within two days of the event.

Four people charged in Portland after demonstrators vandalized federal ICE building, Democratic Party state headquarters | CNN

51 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

DC is a different jurisdiction.

The Federal buildings fall under the FBI’s purview, but they certainly didn’t utilize their vast resources (as they did for J6) to bring the perpetrators to justice. Four arrests out of 150+ at the ICE building vs. using credit card receipts, RFI scanners, facial recognition software, cellular geofencing, reassigning agents from investigating child trafficking, etc. to arrest over 1,000 for January 6.

….Not to mention, every “protester” at the George Floyd riots should’ve been arrested for attempted murder, since they were breaking social distancing guidelines at the height of the most lethal pandemic in the history of the world.😅

• Fire 3