Budapest Ranking Tournament

As of Jun 26, these are the numbers of entrants per https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/11072503-mens-freestyle-entries-for-the-budapest-ranking-series

57 - 23 entrants

61 - 14 entrants

65 - 23 entrants

70 - 15 entrants

74 - 19 entrants

79 - 14 entrants

86 - 28 entrants

92 - 11 entrants

97 - 20 entrants

125 - 19 entrants

The number of entrants for non Olympic weights is fairly drastic.   They have no more than 15 entrants averaging 13.5 entrants per weight.   The Olympic weights have more participants with an average of 22 participants.   For what it is worth. 

mspart

• Fire 3

Looks like the team is in Budapest, minus Retherford, Dake, Taylor and Steveson. With Parris wrestling in place of Steveson, will be interested to see how he fares against the rest of the 125kg field. I still believe he is one of the top 10 125kg's in the world, hopefully he gets the chance to show it against the likes of Akgul, Petriashvili, etc.

PNWfan

36 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Yet again I will say that I can't believe Snyder hasn't gone the NLWC route of showing up once a year

Was surprised to see him there too with all that he has accomplished, he must want the matches as a tune up for World's.

• Fire 1

PNWfan

46 minutes ago, mspart said:

Perhaps Snyder actually enjoys the competition. 

mspart

He has always been a gamer and likely has the highest attendance rate of any US senior athlete on an annual basis going back to when he came on the scene. Like I said, I'm just preparing myself for the NLWC inevitable.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

Some of you may already know this, but they're going to start off w/the Men's FS on this Thursday and conclude on Friday, the Women's FS sandwiched between the Men's FS and Men's GR, which will be run on Sat./Sun.

Sorry, no weekend FS for all you FS fans out there.

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

The WATCH PARTY starts in about an hour. Taking Mat A at approximately 4:30 am (Eastern) and 3:30 am (Central) is America's Zane Richards. He will be wrestling a tough Georgian. This fellow from Georgia looks like Liam Cronin's stronger and bigger Eastern Bloc uncle. I did a Moneyball look at Bujiashvili prior to the World Cup, but Zane didn't wrestle this guy, Suriano did. Anyway, here's that scouting report:

In the first round of the ranking series tournament, Zane Richards will wrestle Beka Bujiashvili of Georgia. Certainly not the easiest possible draw, but also a guy the IRTC athlete can handle. We did a Moneyball look at this fellow before because he was a potential opponent for Zane at the World Cup. 

They did not wrestle. Instead, Suriano handled him 6-3. Here is video of a match between him and Suriano in a ranking series event, which Suriano won 2-1. (Requires FloWrestling sub). He looks like a bearded Liam Cronin here. 

THE GEORGIAN: BEKA BUJIASHVILI

This fellow must see a lot of his fellow countryman and former gold and silver World Championship medalist Beka Lomtadze, who won his medals at 61kg and most recently competed at 65kg. 

Beka Bujiashvili has been less successful. 

He is still a very good and dangerous wrestler. In terms of height and weight, he looks like a Caucasus region brother of Zane Richards. He is well-muscled, though not as well-defined as Zane, not particularly tall and has quite a head of hair. 

He's been around forever, having first wrestled internationally in 2009. He won a bronze medal in 2013 in the Junior World Championships. Since then, he's won a weight class at the Henri Deglane tournament. 

The Georgian finished 12th in the 2022 World Championships beating an over-matched Spaniard, but then losing to Hasagawa of Japan. He had a fifth-place finish at Matteo Pellicone, but that entailed one win and two losses, though he seemed injured in at least two of his matches (lower back). He did finish third in this year's Russia-less European Championships, which entailed two wins and one loss. Finally, he finished second at Yasar Dogu with a four-and-one record. 

SPECIAL:  Bujiashvili has used a head in leglace, which has been successful. At other times, even when he falls into them after a successful double, he just doesn't seem to know where to begin. He will lead with his right leg even when shaking hands. He will usually use his right leg to gain ground as well. On occasion, he will wrestle from one knee. 

His arm throw is fast and dangerous. One of the best I've ever seen. 

He'll roll into it without tying up first. Beka will take a two-on-one and sit through for a very interesting takedown attempt, kicking his opponent over him. He'll also go for a high crotch from the two-on-one. He will often shoot on the whistle. 

Be ready to defend his incredible arm throw and two-on-one, and you should have success against him. Here are his Moneyball stats:

ILLINIWRESTLING192.jpg

• Fire 2

Not an optimal start for the greatest country in the history of history. Zahid loses to the Iranian. Hale lost. Didn't catch the Finesilver result. Amine won, but he was wrestling for "SMR." Is that short for SMERSH? You may recall that SMERSH kidnapped Vesper Lynd of Section S, and after Bond got into a chase after the kidnappers, he crashed and SMERSH tortured good old 007 with a carpet beater. Amine won with a late takedown of Poland. 

FloWrestling, if you're out there, Mat A keeps buffering every 15 seconds. Not optimal. 

For the millions of Zaniacs out there, it will be a little bit before Zane takes the mat. 

Now I've seen it all.

Musukaev with a come-from-behind win over China. Down 8-4 in the second period. He relishes the :30 break like a guy walking into a bordello with somebody else's platinum Visa card. There was an injury timeout and the soccer spray can for the boo boo. 

America back on the board with a Parris win over Italy. 

• Haha 1

Trying to get results/brackets on the UWW site... they were slow putting up the results @ the U20 Pan Ams, and they are ULTRA slow for this tournament!

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Our old pal Destribats is wrestling on Mat A now... and his singlet looks like he broke out of jail!

(Horizontal blue stripes, yikes!)

Currently, he's behind the Albanian 5-0 at the break.

Gotta shut down. Time for me to go to work.

D3

Edited by D3 for LU
  • Fire 1

57 kg: Zane Richards
WIN - 10-0 over Beka Bujiashvili, GEO

65 kg: Nick Lee
WIN - 10-0 over Josh Finesilver, ISR

WIN - 10-0 over Osmonov, KGV

74 kg: Julian Ramirez
LOSS - 6-6 to Byungmin Gong. KOR

86 kg: Max Hale
LOSS - 6-2 to Dauren Kurugliev, GRE

92 kg: Zahid Valencia
LOSS - 6-3 to Amirali Azarpira, IRI
WIN - 8-1 over Denys Sahaliuk, UKR

125 kg: Mason Parris
WIN - 10-0 over Abraham Conyedo, ITA

Edited by MPhillips
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Now I've seen it all.

Musukaev with a come-from-behind win over China. Down 8-4 in the second period. He relishes the :30 break like a guy walking into a bordello with somebody else's platinum Visa card. There was an injury timeout and the soccer spray can for the boo boo. 

America back on the board with a Parris win over Italy. 

No way Musukaev coming back in an early round match was on anyone’s bingo card

• Haha 1

i am an idiot on the internet