Smokers (Meat)

Husker_Du

I've seen that there are two schools of thought among professional chefs with the sear.  I've always "seared" using the second,  less conventional method,  and have done it long before I learned that it's a valid method. 

It's all about low and slow,  including my Weber grill cooks,  including burgers,  hot dogs,  chicken,  etc.  The "sear" naturally takes care of itself.  By cooking slowly off of direct heat the juices remain intact, with no juices "shocked" out of it, which happens with throwing meat on direct heat. 

When you need "the sear," which is essentially grill marks,  I put the meat on direct heat just before taking it off.  Perfect grill/"sear" marks and the juiciest meat off of a Weber in the Cedar Valley. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

Yeah I agree, got lazy with that comment as I was thinking about chicken. Sous vide gives you a precision cooked meat, but it’s sickly pale in presentation. My wife sometimes prefers chicken breast at this stage for the moistest chicken salad, etc.. I usually sear them and use the fond for a pan sauce.

10 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

IMG_8771.thumb.jpeg.0d9b32ba4033c7b8d8b3658053826a92.jpegIMG_8772.thumb.jpeg.3ca48e6faed2d3232b68216cd47db3e1.jpeg

It’s on b***hes

Two things.  One,  I've apparently missed that yet another tropical storm is coming? Two,  what the hell are those two things in the top picture? They look like beef hearts to me. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

4 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Stage two: double binder, double rub. IMG_8773.thumb.jpeg.fa12777d16d21b485397a41a45d00c1e.jpeg

I still can't figure out who you cook for.  As often as you cook huge amounts,  you're either feeding the neighborhood or freezing it!

I done f***ed up. This is where never using a temp gauge can get you every once in a while. Pulled them when they ‘seemed’ probe tender last night, wrapped them and let them sleep nice and tight and cozy through the night. Here we are this morning and they’re not done. Tissue still tuggin. Gonna try a save…

IMG_8786.jpeg.d7e531a77ea8c781eb30bccf6d968961.jpeg

1 hour ago, WrestlingRasta said:

I done f***ed up. This is where never using a temp gauge can get you every once in a while. Pulled them when they ‘seemed’ probe tender last night, wrapped them and let them sleep nice and tight and cozy through the night. Here we are this morning and they’re not done. Tissue still tuggin. Gonna try a save…

IMG_8786.jpeg.d7e531a77ea8c781eb30bccf6d968961.jpeg

Paradoxically, you flew too close to the sun.

• Haha 1