Smokers (Meat)

Husker_Du

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, mspart said:

We are planning on making chili with smoked brisket.   I will smoke the brisket, and then we will put that along with everything else in a dutch oven and put that in the smoker and smoke that.   Gonna be incredible!!!

mspart

Sometimes I make a gumbo with left over bbq…. Chicken brisket or ribs seem to work well.   

• Bob 1

3 hours ago, mspart said:

We are planning on making chili with smoked brisket.   I will smoke the brisket, and then we will put that along with everything else in a dutch oven and put that in the smoker and smoke that.   Gonna be incredible!!!

mspart

There wasn't a drooling icon otherwise I would have clicked that!  I have put smoked brisket in my cowboy beans once...it was amazing.  I also one time smoked my cowboy beans on the bottom rack under an unwrapped pork butt towards the end of the smoke to let all the drippings go in them...that was next level as well.

• Bob 1

Rasta has had a reawakening.  Wasn’t using the PitDock very much of the last year with my wife’s disease, it sat down there lonely.  Since moving it onto the lanai for Milton….well I said to my daughter at dinner on Sunday….i think I’ve used this equipment more in the last five days than I have in the past five months.  She strongly agreed.  

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

Doing a pork butt today.   And a few spare ribs just for meat for my beans.   Carolina style with some Carolina vinegar based bbq sauce.    What do y’all pull your pork at?   I used to do 203 / 204 ish but I think after it rests I don’t like the texture as much.  I’ve been pulling at 200 : 201 with a 2:3:4+ hour rest in a cooler.  

I would add a pic of the pork but I can’t post pics.  

28 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

I’ve always shot for 195 with a long rest. Butts and brisket I rest overnight if I can.  

I snagged it at 201…. Maybe next time I’ll do 195     205 is a little mushy to me 

Edited by Caveira
  • Bob 1

Since on the subject…..   for pork butt 

bone in  ?

trim fat yes or no?

wet brine yes or no?  If yes with what?

how long prior to smoking to apply rub?

inject yes or  no?   If yes with what?

wood type ?   Apple?  Hickory?   Post oak?   Maple?   Mix? Other ?

general temp?   225 (slow and low) or high 275+?

wrap yes or no?   If yes foil or butcher paper.   Also….. liquid , sugar , rub , butter what put in wrap?

pull temp?   < 195?   195?   200?   205?

pull or chop?   Pull may be only answer 🙂 

Collect pork fat/juices yes or no?   If yes what to do with them?   (I put fat in beans and juice back in pork) 

Edited by Caveira

53 minutes ago, Caveira said:

Since on the subject…..   for pork butt 

bone in  ? Absolutely 

trim fat yes or no? A little but not much,  Fatcap face up 

wet brine yes or no?  If yes with what? Cran-black cherry juice, overnight 

how long prior to smoking to apply rub? Right before 

inject yes or  no?   If yes with what?I personally do not  

wood type ?   Apple?  Hickory?   Post oak?   Maple?   Mix? Other ? I like cherry wood for pork 

general temp?   225 (slow and low) or high 275+? 225ish

wrap yes or no?   If yes foil or butcher paper.   Also….. liquid , sugar , rub , butter what put in wrap? Butcher paper and towel.  Butter 

pull temp?   < 195?   195?   200?   205?  195

pull or chop?   Pull may be only answer 🙂 stick your hands in and shred that bitch!!  

Collect pork fat/juices yes or no?   If yes what to do with them?   (I put fat in beans and juice back in pork) Pour it over the pork after shredded