3 point takedown rule passed

BaldAt23

17 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Now kids will just want to be Steph Curry out here raining threes

'Threes'  not withstanding, hasn't that always been the case. Younger kids want to learn technique on their feet not realizing until later that mat wrestling is what distances good from great. 

16 hours ago, MPhillips said:

Copied from another site. Didn't see the announcement. Are these the onus of the changes?

"3 Point TD is in for next season, as well as no more reaction time TD.
Sequences are now being challenged, instead of a single move.
First MFF of tournament will now be an L on the wrestlers record, unless it follows an injury default the previous match.
Near Fall will be worth 2,3,4 next season based on 2,3,4 swipes.
Top guy now has to work for near fall, he can no longer just ride and try and breakdown their opponent.
The mandatory 5 sec stall call on the top guy that grasps the bottom guys ankle is now for all attempts on the ankle (aka hooking the ankle ride).
No more facial hair rule."

Was it just me or when NF went from 2&3 to 2&4 refs would anticipate exposure and start swiping just as someone started rolling and not necessarily when in criteria? If so, how might the 2&3&4 NF change this behavior? Also the 3 pt TD? 3+4swipes that's a heck of a swing. 

16 hours ago, Idaho said:

The “all situations where the wrestler grasps the ankle “ will help at least stop one aspect of  top stalling 

This one always bothered me, I always found it easy to get wrist control when someone tried to grab an ankle. I don't think we should've burdened refs with another thing for coaches to yell at them about. Teach better/more effective technique and that tactic dies a quick death. 

16 hours ago, Hillbilly Jim said:

"Top guy now has to work for near fall, he can no longer just ride and try and breakdown their opponent."

Curious how this one will be interpreted and applied in matches.  Will top be more like high school where you only get hit if you are stall riding and they let you ride for extended periods of time if you are working OR you can only work for a while but if you can't score you will get dinged?

I forgot why I tagged this one but it was probably important and profound. 

15 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Spiral ride is by the new rule stalling.  You cannot turn someone or pin them with a spiral ride.  Same with a claw ride, side or front headlock...

Interesting thought. This might spur an offensive explosion on top. Kids being forced to at least 'act' as though they are interested in getting a turn. They might stumble upon an untapped resource by accident. 

My own thought: in addition to 3pt TD and 2&3&4pt NF, how about a 0pt E after a 2pt R? (translation, no escape point following a reversal). Would this work to encourage or discourage taking risks to turn/pin?

17 minutes ago, TwoPointsTakeDown84 said:

My own thought: in addition to 3pt TD and 2&3&4pt NF, how about a 0pt E after a 2pt R? (translation, no escape point following a reversal). Would this work to encourage or discourage taking risks to turn/pin?

Similar to the people saying "only make the first TD 3 points," that would be way too complicated for people to understand, potentially even refs.

19 minutes ago, TwoPointsTakeDown84 said:

This one always bothered me, I always found it easy to get wrist control when someone tried to grab an ankle. I don't think we should've burdened refs with another thing for coaches to yell at them about. Teach better/more effective technique and that tactic dies a quick death. 

This is more about sitting on an ankle and doing nothing, I believe.

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Similar to the people saying "only make the first TD 3 points," that would be way too complicated for people to understand, potentially even refs.

Exactly.  Keep stuff as simple as possible.  I know we are not going to be a major sport anytime soon, but there are people who will watch the sport 1-2x a year and enjoy it.  Lets not complicate stuff for those "casuals."

5 hours ago, TwoPointsTakeDown84 said:

My reference is not to grasping it with the hand but hooking it with the leg and sitting on it. This will eliminate one aspect of stalling.  Grasping the ankle now goes beyond the hand grabbing the ankle. Watch much college wrestling this past season? 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

11 minutes ago, Idaho said:

My reference is not to grasping it with the hand but hooking it with the leg and sitting on it. This will eliminate one aspect of stalling.  Grasping the ankle now goes beyond the hand grabbing the ankle. Watch much college wrestling this past season? 

Not sure you meant that last question to come off so passive/aggressive, but I have. I'm not in hip deep in rules like I once was but it seemed as though the count only pertained to reaching down to grab the ankle. Other tactics seemed to me to fall under the umbrella of 'stalling' and should be called as such, if appropriate. I don't recall seeing, and this could just be my lack of data points, a ref count when an ankle was clipped/hooked or 'sat on' by a top wrestler. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, TwoPointsTakeDown84 said:

I don't recall seeing, and this could just be my lack of data points, a ref count when an ankle was clipped/hooked or 'sat on' by a top wrestler. 

They didn't call it previously, and it was exploited by everyone last year. The intention is to now start the count anytime bottom's ankle is grasped with any appendage by top.

• Fire 2

i am an idiot on the internet

29 minutes ago, ionel said:

Are you suggesting Wkn might be homeless?  Any interest in a gofundme for our buddy?  

I count on him for all the know nothing facts. He's fine. I believe we should send the kid in Cali some sod.  I'm disturbed that it's been years since he's had a lawn. He went from a flat in England to an an Astroturf runner outside his sliding door.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

I believe we should send the kid in Cali some sod.  I'm disturbed that it's been years since he's had a lawn. He went from a flat in England to an an Astroturf runner outside his sliding door.

I've got some extra grass seed can ship him, maybe you could provide the fertilizer?

10 hours ago, TwoPointsTakeDown84 said:

'Threes'  not withstanding, hasn't that always been the case. Younger kids want to learn technique on their feet not realizing until later that mat wrestling is what distances good from great. 

I think guys like Gable Steveson, Kyle Snyder and Jordan Burroughs would disagree with this.  If you are better on your feet and can get out from bottom, it’s hard to lose.

• Fire 1

11 hours ago, TwoPointsTakeDown84 said:

I’ve always seen mat (top) wrestling be more of an “equalizer” for less athletic kids, letting them go from bad to good… but they still lose to the kids who are great on their feet.