Gomez Retires again from college wrestling

flyingcement

With Gomez not taking his final year, Rowley transferring out, and Hillger graduating and joining Gopher RTC, the cupboard is looking quite bare in Madison. I count four national qualifiers at most: Hamiti, Barnett,  Amos, and Zargo. Could be a difficult year for the Badgers

29 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

With Gomez not taking his final year, Rowley transferring out, and Hillger graduating and joining Gopher RTC, the cupboard is looking quite bare in Madison. I count four national qualifiers at most: Hamiti, Barnett,  Amos, and Zargo. Could be a difficult year for the Badgers

Not to mention the two kids from CA who flipped their commitments.

35 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

To be fair, Rowley has not left yet.  He is in the portal.

Slavikouski was in the portal for 18 months 

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Also, good for Gomez.

He can now focus on his senior level career, which I look forward to watching.

I am curious if he goes 70 KG aftet the Olympics.

Also, also, I noticed he said 'medical hardship AND not take his final year.  Are those mutually exclusive to be the same or did he possibly have two years left?

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

To be fair, Rowley has not left yet.  He is in the portal.

Slavikouski was in the portal for 18 months 

I see a difference in the sense that Slavikouski went into the portal prior to his senior year at Harvard because they didnt have the masters program he wanted.  And so going in early gave him more time to figure out the right fit, apply to grad programs, await acceptance, etc.

In the other hand Rowley is a RS freshman who won't be close to graduating soon unless he set the state record for AP credits 

• Fire 1

50 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I see a difference in the sense that Slavikouski went into the portal prior to his senior year at Harvard because they didnt have the masters program he wanted.  And so going in early gave him more time to figure out the right fit, apply to grad programs, await acceptance, etc.

In the other hand Rowley is a RS freshman who won't be close to graduating soon unless he set the state record for AP credits 

All fair points as well.

• Fire 1

Back in his ISU days I had hoped he and Dayton Fix were going to have a 4 season rivalry for Big 12 dominance.

It was cool to see him in the Big 10 even after he left 133 behind. Though a rematch with RBY would have been killer to watch. He and Desanto were a great matchup as well, two junkyard dogs.

Hope his health is good. That was aways his biggest issue.

Good for him. I always enjoyed watching him wrestle. I think it’s definitely the right move for him. I would imagine he’s going to be the top guy for Mexico, so he needs to focus on qualifying the weight and he can be an Olympian! He doesn’t need the grind that the NCAA season at this point

22 hours ago, Ivan Stankowski said:

Well good thing Wisconsin has some really good high school kids coming up in the next few years!!! Oh that's right most of them leave the state, Is Bono really doing any better than BD was doing before he got ran out??

Yes, the cupboard does indeed look pretty bare at the moment, but also remember that the Badgers are are only two seasons removed from a 12-2 campaign, so I wouldn't report the program's demise just quite yet.

Good for him, he just graduated with his master’s degree.  As much as some of us complain about guys being 6th year seniors, we should applaud the guys getting their education and moving in.

• Fire 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

3 hours ago, jchapman said:

Good for him, he just graduated with his master’s degree.  As much as some of us complain about guys being 6th year seniors, we should applaud the guys getting their education and moving in.

I would agree, it simply is time to take the next step, whatever that might be.

I thought for sure Michigan would try and poach Gomez after Lamer left considering the theme of graduate transfers they have been following. Imagine if Gomez transferred there.. Michigan really would have been in the hunt.

32 minutes ago, BFosr1 said:

I thought for sure Michigan would try and poach Gomez after Lamer left considering the theme of graduate transfers they have been following. Imagine if Gomez transferred there.. Michigan really would have been in the hunt.

That is assuming Gomez wanted to go to Michigan.  Had he wanted to, he would have considered them before.  I don't recall them being in the hunt before.