True that Cody Chittum will be a 21 yo true freshman?

23 hours ago, TNwrestling said:

No there hasn't lol. He graduated at 19 in 2021, which is common, took a grey shirt year, then will be competing this year as a frehsman. Its not that outside the realm of normal.  

Being from Tennessee i can assure you nobody here has ever "questioned" his age. 

Graduating at 19 is not common.  Sorry. 

1 hour ago, boconnell said:

So are we talking about how old he will be on the wrestling mat or in the chemistry lab?

Does the NCAA allow us to bet on whether he ever shows up in a chemistry lab?   There are professional chemistry labs so ... 🤔

7 hours ago, Smsu150 said:

Graduating at 19 is not common.  Sorry. 

in the sports world it is entirely common...

and more parents are holding their kids back for social reasons to give them a potential leg up throughout life...

it isn't 1958 anymore...

• Fire 1

7 hours ago, LJB said:

and more parents are holding their kids back for social reasons to give them a potential leg up throughout life...

it isn't 1958 anymore...

except research says thats the wrong way to go ...

it ain't 1984 either ...

18 hours ago, jchapman said:

I guess you weren't around for Mark Hall.

I was around for Mark Hall if I am remembering correctly (always possible I am not), Hall was 19 at the beginning of his freshman year not sure when his birthday is but possible he turned 20 during that season as well.

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

As long as we are obsessing with age I should get this out of the way. 

I am 58, but I read at a 59 year old level.

And only compete against 56 year olds so I can dominate the dojo.

So you're a young 60

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Kids, especially in wrestling, are often 19 when graduating HS.  I can't think of many times recently where the 'studs' of U20 are competing after their 2nd season of college at U20s.  That would insinuate that they turn 21 before the year end (which would be beginning of the 3rd college season).  Meaning even though their 2nd season out ends in March, they are turning 21 before ~Christmas of that year.  If that holds as true then what also would hold as true is that they would be 19 two years prior.  Also meaning that when most schools end (End of May/June which is ~40% of the calendar year) a lot of 'kids' are going to be grown ass adults at the ripe young age of 19 and graduating. 

That is the state of now, not 1954 or 1984.  That is 2024.  It has been that way for quite a while, even.

Hell, one of my boys, when wrestling Juniors as a Junior in HS (he turned 16 years old as a Junior) wrestled a 'local phenom' (when we traveled SW Michigan for tourneys) who was an 8th grader quite a few times because he would age himself up from Cadets.  When the kid was a Frosh and my son a Senior we saw him a lot more times so we got to talking to his parents and him and found out that he was actually only two months younger than my son, yet three years behind in school.  He didn't start school until he was five (turned 6) in kindergarten then was held back by his parents in 8th for one year to get a leg up on some age level stuff.  This wasn't at some uber-elite school in Michigan, it was Stevensville Lakeshore of Southwest Michigan.  The kid was good but fizzled and faded out by the time he was a senior with HEW, but the moral still stands that this is common.  Anyone who doesn't think or know that as truth just hasn't had any of their own children (or grandchildren) actually in the programs or they haven't thought to get to know the parents of the kids their kin are facing.

Also, with Mark Hall?  He was in Kentucky and wrestled three years there (7th/8th/8th) before heading to Minnesota.  7th and 8th graders can wrestle in the high school states tournament there.  HS eligibility doesn't start until they're in 9th grade and kids can be held back by their parents for social or educational reasons (either) in middle school still.  He was 19 when he graduated.

Also, also, it really isn't that different with what some programs are now doing with a 'gap' year prior to their redshirt year (ahem - Penn State).

Edited by nhs67
  • Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

10 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Kids, especially in wrestling, are often 19 when graduating HS.  I can't think of many times recently where the 'studs' of U20 are competing after their 2nd season of college at U20s.  That would insinuate that they turn 21 before the year end (which would be beginning of the 3rd college season).  Meaning even though their 2nd season out ends in March, they are turning 21 before ~Christmas of that year.  If that holds as true then what also would hold as true is that they would be 19 two years prior.  Also meaning that when most schools end (End of May/June which is ~40% of the calendar year) a lot of 'kids' are going to be grown ass adults at the ripe young age of 19 and graduating. 

That is the state of now, not 1954 or 1984.  That is 2024.  It has been that way for quite a while, even.

Hell, one of my boys, when wrestling Juniors as a Junior in HS (he turned 16 years old as a Junior) wrestled a 'local phenom' (when we traveled SW Michigan for tourneys) who was an 8th grader quite a few times because he would age himself up from Cadets.  When the kid was a Frosh and my son a Senior we saw him a lot more times so we got to talking to his parents and him and found out that he was actually only two months younger than my son, yet three years behind in school.  He didn't start school until he was five (turned 6) in kindergarten then was held back by his parents in 8th for one year to get a leg up on some age level stuff.  This wasn't at some uber-elite school in Michigan, it was Stevensville Lakeshore of Southwest Michigan.  The kid was good but fizzled and faded out by the time he was a senior with HEW, but the moral still stands that this is common.  Anyone who doesn't think or know that as truth just hasn't had any of their own children (or grandchildren) actually in the programs or they haven't thought to get to know the parents of the kids their kin are facing.

Also, with Mark Hall?  He was in Kentucky and wrestled three years there (7th/8th/8th) before heading to Minnesota.  7th and 8th graders can wrestle in the high school states tournament there.  HS eligibility doesn't start until they're in 9th grade and kids can be held back by their parents for social or educational reasons (either) in middle school still.  He was 19 when he graduated.

Also, also, it really isn't that different with what some programs are now doing with a 'gap' year prior to their redshirt year (ahem - Penn State).

My favorite example involves both our teams. Senior in high school, Stevan Micic, beat freshman in high school, Nick Lee. Both were "seniors" in the NCAA tournament eight years later.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

My favorite example involves both our teams. Senior in high school, Stevan Micic, beat freshman in high school, Nick Lee. Both were "seniors" in the NCAA tournament eight years later.

The ole, redshirt, olympic, compete, compete, compete, olympic, covid free, compete approach vs compete, compete, covid free, compete, compete approaches for the win.

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

As long as we are obsessing with age I should get this out of the way. 

I am 58, but I read at a 59 year old level.

And only compete against 56 year olds so I can dominate the dojo.

You're such a young pup.  Wednesday 5:30 our high pace weekly ride, yesterday ~20 riders 50 mi attacks all the way home last 24 mi.  We've got some 20 sump'n university kids but its the mid 30s & 40s ya gotta watch out for.  Sure the old guy can finish up front but gotta ride smart & hard plus need more rest/recovery after.  Oh to be 40 again but sure I'd take 58 if available.  🙂

gotta go play pickleball now

Edited by ionel
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, ionel said:

except research says thats the wrong way to go ...

it ain't 1984 either ...

everyone can find anything they want to support whatever position they personally prefer...

37 minutes ago, 82bordeaux said:

FIFY

It was like 40 years ago, man.  Give me a break.

I am still hurt he didn't go to Davison HS in Michigan instead of AV in Minny.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, LJB said:

it isn't 1958 anymore...

Which sports world? Wrestling?

Are you saying most basketball players graduate high school at 19?  Or is your world limited to wrestling?

I don't see this as a positive.  Of course, that's just my opinion.  To each their own. 

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Smsu150 said:

Are you saying most basketball players graduate high school at 19?  Or is your world limited to wrestling?

I don't see this as a positive.  Of course, that's just my opinion.  To each their own. 

my personal experience is mainly wrestling where it is much more the norm than not...

but...

even when the boys were in 2nd grade and still somewhat involved with the normals and stick and ball sports it was a thing where we came from...

i do not particularly care for the practice myself... the oldest graduated HS at 17 + two months...

i did hold the younger back one year because he was still wrestling his walk around at 84lbs the winter before he would have been a "freshmen"...

he still started "high school" one month after turning 15 and will "graduate" (maybe) at 18...

kids driving to HS as freshmen is ridiculous in my mind but everyone has their own path and whether or not i personally agree with it is immaterial...

30 minutes ago, Smsu150 said:

I don't see this as a positive.  Of course, that's just my opinion.  To each their own

To be clear, how you see it as far as positivity goes and as far as your opinion goes both mean precisely dick when it comes to reality insofar as the current state of it.

I wish it were different, as I do agree.  Getting these young gents and ladies in to a collegiate room earlier would likely get them to their peak potential sooner and even possibly increase their peak potential.

31 minutes ago, 82bordeaux said:

Davison High School...when did you become a big PSU fan? 😘

I competed against Roy Hall when I was growing up.

That is how old I am.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, LJB said:

everyone can find anything they want to support whatever position they personally prefer...

You must have missed the research part.  Nothing in that about personal preference.  Research has shown kids start learning at a very young age, if you hold them back from academics you set them back and reduce future potential.  Now that does not suggest a gap year would hurt or maybe not even a 7th grade repeat.  But holding them back from kindergarten, pre-school would.  Its obviously not an absolute as certainly some parents could be home schooling while held back at a higher level than kindergarten, 1st grade etc.  But how many holding kids back for wrestling, baseball etc are actually doing that?  The ones I saw mostly thought their kids were going to get a free ride to college.  College is about academics and learning so why would you do something to reduce their academic potential just to maybe save money on college when there's really no intent to go there for the academics.

Long response but if you don't believe the above I present my case study: the 3 Ferrari brothers😉