Iowa 2024

BlacknGold

20 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

How much does Kueter weigh?  Can he make 197 this year?

He just made 213lbs and looked less lean than he did last year.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

To clarify, what I think is that I think he is trying to put on weight for football.

Last year he looked very lean.  So what I think it was was that he might have been a lean 205-210 and not cutting where this year he was 225-230 and cut to 213 to weigh in.

41 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah I doubt the football team would want him cutting much weight, but Iowa does have a big hole at 197 currently…

I think his scholarship is for football, isn't it?

That means he will be doing as they say.  That means not wrestling, if they say so.

Just now, nhs67 said:

That means he will be doing as they say.  That means not wrestling, if they say so.

I’d have to believe allowing him to do both was part of the reason he chose Iowa to begin with.

But, I would be concerned with him deciding on his own to not wrestle in the future.  Which is why it would probably be in Brands’ best interest to get him in the lineup while he can, if possible.  

47 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I know you are partially teasing, but who do you have as 2nd through 4th? Cornell and Michigan perhaps as two of then

Alphabetically - Arizona State, Cornell, Iowa, Iowa State, Michigan, Mizzou, NC State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, the Ohio State and Virginia Tech will all be in trophy contention.  A lot will depend on injuries and a lot will depend on redshirts.

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I’d have to believe allowing him to do both was part of the reason he chose Iowa to begin with.

But, I would be concerned with him deciding on his own to not wrestle in the future.  Which is why it would probably be in Brands’ best interest to get him in the lineup while he can, if possible.  

To go along with your point, they may be okay with him doing a redshirt in football to also stay down at 197 for true frosh in wrestling, then redshirt wrestling to bulk in football for a season then three years of HWT Kueter.

That said, I still bet football gets the actual say if he does compete or not.  If it were the sell, or not, I bet they still get the say.

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

To go along with your point, they may be okay with him doing a redshirt in football to also stay down at 197 for true frosh in wrestling, then redshirt wrestling to bulk in football for a season then three years of HWT Kueter.

That said, I still bet football gets the actual say if he does compete or not.  If it were the sell, or not, I bet they still get the say.

Didn't he already publicly state that he was focusing on the football season right after the US trials.  

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Just now, PortaJohn said:

Didn't he already publicly state that he was focusing on the football season right after the US trials.  

Yes.

A guy can hope, though. 

He is a special talent and if football is covering his scholarship then he has a vested interest in saying he is focused on football.

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Yes.

A guy can hope, though. 

He is a special talent and if football is covering his scholarship then he has a vested interest in saying he is focused on football.

If he finds out he's not NFL worthy and switches to wrestling full time great for us wrestling fans.  Until then he'd be a moron to doing anything other than exclusively focus on football.  A NFL contract is a life changer.  

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

How much does Kueter weigh?  Can he make 197 this year?

His plan is to bulk in football and go heavyweights in wrestling. People are assuming he redshirts as he makes the adjustment, and Cassioppi finishes his final season. Haven't heard about either sport having authority over the other, that might be a myth

15 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

His plan is to bulk in football and go heavyweights in wrestling. People are assuming he redshirts as he makes the adjustment, and Cassioppi finishes his final season. Haven't heard about either sport having authority over the other, that might be a myth

Its not a myth.  He's on a football scholarship

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah I doubt the football team would want him cutting much weight, but Iowa does have a big hole at 197 currently…

Franklin and Glazier have potential but 197 is concerning. Recruiting needs work too

-PSU class of 2023- 8 recruits, class of 2024- 6 recruits (14 total)

-Iowa class of 2023- 5 recruits, class of 2024- 2 recruits (7 total) 

Grow Do Something GIF by AionCommunity

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

By rule, you cannot receive any scholarship in another sport if you’re on the football team. A .25 scholarship in wrestling means a full scholarship against football’s 85… so you either walk on in both, or you get a football full-ride… nothing in between. It’s weird, but makes sense, since, otherwise, you might have schools giving all their track scholarships to football players.

• Fire 1

See below @BlacknGold

1 hour ago, PortaJohn said:

Its not a myth.  He's on a football scholarship

1 hour ago, DJT said:

By rule, you cannot receive any scholarship in another sport if you’re on the football team. A .25 scholarship in wrestling means a full scholarship against football’s 85… so you either walk on in both, or you get a football full-ride… nothing in between. It’s weird, but makes sense, since, otherwise, you might have schools giving all their track scholarships to football players.

Football takes priority.

1 hour ago, BlacknGold said:

Franklin and Glazier have potential but 197 is concerning. Recruiting needs work too

-PSU class of 2023- 8 recruits, class of 2024- 6 recruits (14 total)

-Iowa class of 2023- 5 recruits, class of 2024- 2 recruits (7 total) 

Grow Do Something GIF by AionCommunity

Franklin beat Glazier last year and he is younger so I would think he is the guy.

What is your opinion on these lineups, assuming Arnold redshirts (he should)

174 - Brands/Swafford

184 - Brands/Swafford

197 - Assad

Or

174 - Brands/Swafford

184 - Assad

197 - Franklin/Glazier

Also, IF Focus does make it in (AJ) and he is HWT (which most agree/assume he would be), who do you take?  Two years of him or four years of Kueter (after he redshirts).

4 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

If he finds out he's not NFL worthy and switches to wrestling full time great for us wrestling fans.  Until then he'd be a moron to doing anything other than exclusively focus on football.  A NFL contract is a life changer.  

Meh. Not a moron. It's his life, he decides what means the most to him. Money is great, but by itself it won't buy happiness, and football had shown that it's not necessarily great for a long, healthy life after retirement. 

• Fire 1

30 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Meh. Not a moron. It's his life, he decides what means the most to him. Money is great, but by itself it won't buy happiness, and football had shown that it's not necessarily great for a long, healthy life after retirement. 

Only following the path of our Lord, Jesus Christ, brings true happiness, so if being happy is his primary concern, he’ll be flipping his commitment to PSU.

As far as football goes, that Raiders linebacker did it the right way… play a few years pro and retire in the middle of the season at like 27 to sell Pokémon cards.

Edited by DJT